Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to give the inside of my air box a light coat of filter oil to help keep some of the dust from sticking to the filter? I just figured if it sticks to the inside of the box as opposed to swirling around inside till it sticks to the filter. Any opinions

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've done it before, it's just a bitch to get clean afterwards and I didnt notice that my filter was any less dirty.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
yama450yfx,
I can't blame you for trying to be extra cautious about the air cleaner system. I am not sure that your really gain anything by oiling the plastic air box. With an accumulation of dirt on the inside of the air box, you stand a chance of dislodging it when taking the air cleaner out and there-by getting some dirt down into the intake. I can't speak to anything but the standard foam air cleaner. Starting with a clean air cleaner then re-cleaning it as often as needed will make the job much easier in the long-run. I always us a little Simple Green on the inside of the box but never saturate it. I have recommended in past threads, having a new un-oiled cleaner on hand and just removing the dirty one, placing it aside, clean the inside support, wipe out the box and then oil the replacement (preferable with a water soluable oil so clean up is much easier). You can clean the dirty filter later on.
Just my way of doing this easy but critical job.
Sid

·
Registered
538 Posts
agree with these guys, dont think oiling the box will benefit you that much, prob just complicate things when trying to keep the box/filter clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts