Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it almost 3 weeks and finally got to take it out today. It wore me out. My hands are sore, my shoulders are sore and my back is sore. Maybe it is because I usually ride my Raptor in the sand and not trails very much, but this thing is scary fast. My biggest complaint is the very touchy, sensitive throttle. Surely, there must be a way to change the pressure needed to give it throttle. I took a 13T sprocket with me and decided pretty quick that the 14T needed to go. Put the front wheels in the bed of the truck and the rear about half way down the ramp so I could get under it. Didn't go as planned. Forgot to take a socket to fit the chain adjuster. Ended up putting it back together and rode it with the stock gearing. In the rough stuff, had to ride the clutch to much at low speed. Even small rocks and things had me bumping the throttle when I didn't want throttle. The way I feel right now is that if I had of been able to ride it like I did today, before I bought it, I probably would not have bought it. But I really like the power. Didn't like it in the tight trails because of the throttle. Maybe gearing it lower will help me change my mind. It will be interesting to see how much the sand tames it down. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
323 Posts
The throttle is very snatchy...many complaints on that. I think the lower gearing will make it worse. You'll get used to it after a few rides. EFI is a different animal and Honda didn't refine this EFI setup much. If someone could remap the exponential around idle it would make this much easier to ride in the tight stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ive just got mine about 3 weeks ago and just got to take it out this weekend and was very impressed the power is amazing and it handles like a dream this quad was built for the bush i use to ride a z400 and this thing is 100 times better alround i love this bike and for all the nonbelivers they must not have ever rode one because if you were to ride one you would be hooked i boughtmine with out even test riding one and i regret nothing the only problem i have with it is that i lost all ambition to work and would just rather ride but fuel comes at a price.so i guess its back to work till the next ride....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
it just thats its efi... carb quads have slower thotle responce.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Someone must make a programable computer module that can address this. Do you know if the dealers have a reflash for it or has Honda just ignored it? Are the '09s the same? At this point, I am wishing I had not purchased it. I don't think it is something you should have to "get used to". Something is not right. I don't think it is something you can just brush off by saying it is because it is fuel injected. My Pontiac G8 GT doesn't do it and neither does my diesel pickup. Some of my friends with injected Raptors do not have it either. Same with RZRs. It is something that can be addressed if Honda chooses to or by a 3rd party. This may be why Honda is discounting them so heavy rather than having to deal with the software issue. They just want it out of their hair.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's like any other machine I've ridden, you have to get used to the throttle of the bike. After a few rides you won't even notice anymore because you'll be used to it. I've seen this issue with quite a few of the street bikes I've ridden where they are so powerful you have to be very careful the first few rides.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Someone must make a programable computer module that can address this. Do you know if the dealers have a reflash for it or has Honda just ignored it? Are the '09s the same? At this point, I am wishing I had not purchased it. I don't think it is something you should have to "get used to". Something is not right. I don't think it is something you can just brush off by saying it is because it is fuel injected. My Pontiac G8 GT doesn't do it and neither does my diesel pickup. Some of my friends with injected Raptors do not have it either. Same with RZRs. It is something that can be addressed if Honda chooses to or by a 3rd party. This may be why Honda is discounting them so heavy rather than having to deal with the software issue. They just want it out of their hair.
if u think the xx is bad never ride the yfz or lt-r.... the xx is a slow revver comaped to most 450's

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
damn u brit, beat me to the punch :hey:
I have a good story about it , Works DS450 , a long flat straight and a simple wave ! The Pro complained to the clerk of the course. The clerk just burst out laughing and said "that I had to see" :lmao:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Not exactly true ! :D
seams like it...and they rev higher... z400 also seams to rev quiker... and im talkin stock not modded... ive see a few vids of big 3 xx and they rev quiker than a stock xx..

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
same other than a uni... it did get better when i put the uni in and got more torque and topend.... then i put the 13t... and helo easy 5th gear wheelies....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
now once this kid buys my recon ill have a nice barker and new kendal

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have had it almost 3 weeks and finally got to take it out today. It wore me out. My hands are sore, my shoulders are sore and my back is sore. Maybe it is because I usually ride my Raptor in the sand and not trails very much, but this thing is scary fast. My biggest complaint is the very touchy, sensitive throttle. Surely, there must be a way to change the pressure needed to give it throttle. I took a 13T sprocket with me and decided pretty quick that the 14T needed to go. Put the front wheels in the bed of the truck and the rear about half way down the ramp so I could get under it. Didn't go as planned. Forgot to take a socket to fit the chain adjuster. Ended up putting it back together and rode it with the stock gearing. In the rough stuff, had to ride the clutch to much at low speed. Even small rocks and things had me bumping the throttle when I didn't want throttle. The way I feel right now is that if I had of been able to ride it like I did today, before I bought it, I probably would not have bought it. But I really like the power. Didn't like it in the tight trails because of the throttle. Maybe gearing it lower will help me change my mind. It will be interesting to see how much the sand tames it down. :eek:hno:
I would have never described the throttle on mine as touchy, but I am sure they feel different to everybody. I would think a well placed spring would help you out. IMO solving it mechanically would be the fix to slow the linkage, rather than slowing down the throttle response.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Duramax you WILL get used to it! It was the same for me when i first got it. Once you get more seat time on it and it gits a chance to break in a little you won't even notice it anymore. It's the same for me when i bought my first fuel injected rice rocket. The throttle is instant and takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You will get use to it but on really rough stuff like rocks etc you will still accidentally be bliping the throttle. The biggest problem for me is when im trying to cruise and take it easy, some bumps come along and then its on the throttle and off the throttle about 50 times in 3 seconds lol gets kind of annoying. How does the power compare to your raptor?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Duramax you WILL get used to it! It was the same for me when i first got it. Once you get more seat time on it and it gits a chance to break in a little you won't even notice it anymore. It's the same for me when i bought my first fuel injected rice rocket. The throttle is instant and takes some getting used to.
I actually like the instant throttle response... That's how it should be IMO... can't stand those quads that lag it when accelerated... always notice it on yamahas

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.