Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my break in ride i decide to change the oil. I pick up GN4 and proper filter at the dealer and proceed step by step thru the DIY thread, thanks Scuzz! Well after thinking i did everything perfect i realize i put in 10W40 instead of 10W30. Big deal or no big deal?

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
So after my break in ride i decide to change the oil. I pick up GN4 and proper filter at the dealer and proceed step by step thru the DIY thread, thanks Scuzz! Well after thinking i did everything perfect i realize i put in 10W40 instead of 10W30. Big deal or no big deal?
You're very welcome!

Here's something that might help you with any viscosity questions(hopefully the formatting comes out OK):

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the Manual recommends 10W30 GN4 and my dealer doesnt even carry it.:confused: No wonder i grabbed the 10W40.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you ride in - 20 Fahrenheit? (no, I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants) The difference between 10W40 and 10W30 is a mere 10 degrees so 10W-30 for colder weather and 10W40 for warmer weather.
Yea the difference is nothing to worry about but i just thought it strange the dealer didnt have what the manual recommends. Glad they had the Filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No worries ! I personally use the Bell Ray Thumper 20w-50 in all my bikes. The 20-weight provides better viscosity, and in the winter, the bikes will remain in the garage if the temps go below 20 degrees. I cant stand being cold!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Heavier weight oil takes more time to get to operating temp...so down side is longer warm ups.

So to the OP, just let the Quad warm up a bit longer...no worries.

lighter weight oils were made for vehicles that have closer tolerance internals and require to get to operating temp fast in cold climates. Plus its for those daily driver that dont wait for warm up, the kind of person that puts the car in gear before thier hand is off the key.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Mark97XP,
Just for information purposes, don't, I say "don't" over tighten the long bolt on the right hand side of the oil filter housing. It could be very expensive. In another thread within this forum, you will find some horror stories about the bolt breaking even when using a torque wrench. I told Honda about it and they said no one ever brought that to their attention before.
Sid

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Mark97XP,
Just for information purposes, don't, I say "don't" over tighten the long bolt on the right hand side of the oil filter housing. It could be very expensive. In another thread within this forum, you will find some horror stories about the bolt breaking even when using a torque wrench. I told Honda about it and they said no one ever brought that to their attention before.
Sid
Yeah, that was me!! Don't overtighten those bolts!! I actually broke off one of the short one's just this last weekend using a 1/4-inch drive ratchet with hardly any pressure. I'm sure it was already stressed from the previous experience. I got it out easily, but that can be a very painful experience....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark97XP,
Sid
Yea, i knew before i started about no torque on those bolts. I just used a 1/4 drive to tighten them. So how do you know how tight is tight enough? Will they vibrate out? What about using loc-tite?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yea, i knew before i started about no torque on those bolts. I just used a 1/4 drive to tighten them. So how do you know how tight is tight enough? Will they vibrate out? What about using loc-tite?
I don't think you need to use loctite. I have had no problems with my bolts vibrating out. When I change the filter, I tighten the bolts a little past snug using the 1/4" drive. This is a vague answer to the tightening question, but it is the best way I can describe it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
welll for the tightening if its under 10lbs just get it to the point that it stops witohut having to really try, and then turn it a half turn after that point.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Mark97XP,
Your questions are good ones. Just use the advice given by Red700XX and Atlanta 700XX and you shouldn't have any trouble. No Loctite is required. If you decide to use it stay away from the red and use the blue only.
Good Luck,
Sid

1 - 20 of 24 Posts