Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a bone stock '09 700XX. I want to do some upgrades to it and I'm completely new to this scene. So, what would you upgrade first? Money isn't much of an issue, but I'm not looking to break the bank just starting out... I'm looking for performance upgrades. Cosmetically the 700XX is just about perfect. Although I do want to new front plate...

Please help me out here. I'm a noob!
:thanks:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Steering stabilizer, razr tires, kyles sway bar, 13T sprocket then do suspension.

·
Registered
377 Posts
How do you all come up with extra's? You all have a rich woman on the side? Maybe I have too much on my credit cards...lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Suspension. It's the weakest link on this quad out of the box. DS450X shocks up front revalved and sprung for you (about $100 for the shocks and another $250 for the work) and then get the rears done (another $250 maybe) and you'll be faster than everyone else for a lot less money.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Suspension. It's the weakest link on this quad out of the box. DS450X shocks up front revalved and sprung for you (about $100 for the shocks and another $250 for the work) and then get the rears done (another $250 maybe) and you'll be faster than everyone else for a lot less money.
That's a LOT cheaper then everything I've been finding on the internet. Then again I'm new like I said so my only resource is google. I've been finding racing shocks and suspension kits costing over 2k... That was kind of shocking. And I think a little overkill because I will just be riding around for recreational purposes.

Could you explain the DS450X shocks a little more for me please. Are they not native to the 700XX? Is that why I'd have to get them revalved and sprung? Could any respectable shop do this? Or only a specialty shop?

Also, can anyone recommend a steering stabilizer? I couldn't find any specific models and there appears to be different kinds for different purposes.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just googled DS450X shocks. Could I just buy some stock ones and have them revalved and sprung? Or should I buy some used DS450X shocks?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Basics:

13 tooth sprocket...puts gearing (ratio) into a much more responsive and enjoyable window for general riding...about $15 and 15 minutes

Swaybar...the handling improves significantly and solves the one major issue with the machine - body roll...this is a must do...$200 and 1 hour

The power upgrades can be costly - $750 to $1000, and as mentioned earlier aren't necessary as the machine is powerful already, but these do bring a heck of a lot of enjoyment, as the machine responds well to them. The sound of the exhaust, the extra pull for the motor...you get the point. Also solves the decel popping from being way too lean from factory. Header, muffler, fuel programmer, air filter. Number of brand options.

I had hoped to avoid the shocks as they are so expensive, but I'm giving in. They have me really frustrated...especially the front...they are truly garbage. I have 20 hours on them and they are pogo sticks at this point. Crap, crap, crap. There are threads in here on the DS450 swap...looking real appealing at this point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 13 tooth front sprocket makes the 700xx feel like a totally different quad. In a good way. Also, razr tires front and rear are a must. Just got back from my first ride after these mods and the difference is unbelievable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just googled DS450X shocks. Could I just buy some stock ones and have them revalved and sprung? Or should I buy some used DS450X shocks?
The X shocks have a little more travel. I bought a set and have at least 2 others available for $100 plus shipping if you're interested I can PM you the guy's info. You have to thin the top mount of the shock and then grind the mounting bracket on the bike a little to reprofile it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
13t sprocket first it's like $10, I have been fine with the stock suspension so I went with the HMF pipe and the EHS programmer as my first big upgrades and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I say front shocks first, the stock ones are garbage.

I know alot of people like the 13t sprocket, but where do you ride? If you do alot of slow speed stuff, get the 13t sprocket. Mostly moderate to high speed with a little bit of slow stuff, stay with stock. For the type of riding I do, the stock sprocket is fine, I think 1st gear is to short as it is, 13t is not for me. Just depends on where you ride.

Frame skid plate, depends on where you ride. Rocky stuff, should be at the top of your list.

Next I would say the big three, pipe, filter, fuel controller. I thought my 700XX was a dog stock, could barely get out of its own way. Big three really woke it up.

After that, concentrate more on the suspension. Power won't do you any good if you can't get it to the ground.

Doug

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

Just got some DS450X Shocks. Now I need to find someone to modify them for me to fit my 700XX. If anyone know's of a shop please let me know.

Next on my purchase list is:

CCP Steering Stabilizer
Kyles Sway Bar
Full skid plates(can anyone recommend a good company for this?)
Dominator Bumper or the Chivalry Bumper
13t Sprocket
MAXXIS M910 4-Snow Tires.

Thanks for all of the help guys. Really pointed me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Okay. Have you really rode this quad yet? Is this your first quad? What do you see yourself doing with it (i.e. racing it, just back woods riding)? I see you just got the 450x shocks. You shouldn't have to revalve them. I race mine here and there with the shocks, and they are just fine. The suspension does suck on this quad, but it still does it's job. Next, everyone says the sway bar. If this is your first quad, you can learn how to turn with out it. Besides, with it, the comfort isn't as nearly great, and you feel a lot more. I have a PRM skid plate, and I like it a lot. It wasn't pricey, and it is one complete piece unlike some others. Whatever tires you are looking to get, I would try to be sure they are 6-ply, so they last longer and are more puncture resistant. Now you can do numerous things for power upgrades, but with this being your first quad if it is, I would get a feel for how it is now. IMO, tires would be the first thing, and then go from there. If money is no issue, then by all means go for the other stuff. For the average rider, there is no need for 3k or more worth of suspension, unless you just have money to burn. Another upgrade that I personally put on everything really soon after getting is nerf bars, I dont know how many times they have saved my leg from hitting a tree or something else.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As far as power adders...I can't imagine they really do much other than lighten your bank account. I've read a few posts where people have raced stock XX against a big 3 XX and the result is a one length lead. Ok...great...how many of you use the XX as a drag race machine? That's what I thought. I'm 230 pounds without gear and the used XX I bought with a 13T front sprocket will wheelie in 1-2-3 with my fat ass on it. Unless someone has real dyno numbers before and after a big 3 upgrade I'd guess the increase is small and not worth the potential for trouble (cylinder wash down, overheating, etc)

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you get a decent big three there IS significant power gains to be had...just saying. I can absolutly without a doubt tell the difference. To each there own, mine was money well spent. Good advice cwrh 45

1 - 20 of 30 Posts