Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who of you out there has an FMF on your xx? Slip on or full? What kind? Any problems? What programmer do you use? Heat shield or no. Any pics that you have.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was actually seriously considering the powerbomb header an the Q4 silencer as.... I've had the q4 on my honda crf dirtbike an.... I loved the sound of it, nice sound and quiet enough to not be noticed too much on the trails. But, I couldn't find any info as far as gains, I know everyone raves about the barkers an it had the numbers to back it up, that's the only reason I'm goin with the barkers, I don't even really like the sound of it.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Well some of the guys i've rode with have FMF pipes.
CRWH45
700Woodsrider
KYGoat
Nash04

They are of excellent quality and they sound good. They are quite a bit quieter than the barker. the full system is probably comparable to the barker. maybe only making slightly less power.
I think all of these guys have powercomander's?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CRWH45
700Woodsrider
KYGoat
Nash04

They are of excellent quality and they sound good. They are quite a bit quieter than the barker. the full system is probably comparable to the barker. maybe only making slightly less power.
Cool point them to this post lol.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was actually seriously considering the powerbomb header an the Q4 silencer as.... I've had the q4 on my honda crf dirtbike an.... I loved the sound of it, nice sound and quiet enough to not be noticed too much on the trails. But, I couldn't find any info as far as gains, I know everyone raves about the barkers an it had the numbers to back it up, that's the only reason I'm goin with the barkers, I don't even really like the sound of it.
Yeah I was pretty much dead set on the barkers but was worried about being too loud. I read plenty of reviews of the quiete cores not doing so well. I bought an FMF powercore 4 at a good price from a member on here. I love how it sounds so I ordered the powerbomb header. I just wanna get some input from people who have this set up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i hate that the bike has to sound like an oversized pissed off weedeater to make power.

·
Registered
333 Posts
CRWH45
700Woodsrider
KYGoat
Nash04

Add me to that list above, I have the full Factory 4.1 setup with the powerbomb and a pc3. Its been on the bike for about 2 years now and the slip on, still looks and sounds just like it did when it came out of the box. the header obviously has some new colors to it lol. I've always been a FMF guy... theyre built right, theyre "honda reliable" (i mean, as reliable as a honda) they sound amazing, the increase in power thru out the entire range is near untouchable. just my .02

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also have the fmf tuner, power bomb and the 4.1 mine looks weathered but mine is kept outside and has been in sand,snow and mud. I put the heat shield back on it. My only complaint is that I put in the quiet core/spark arrestor to ride in eastern OR. last summer and it plugged up with packing material and it caused the can of the muffler to change colors in a few spots.Other than that I like the sound and so does most any one I talk to.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah I was pretty much dead set on the barkers but was worried about being too loud. I read plenty of reviews of the quiete cores not doing so well. I bought an FMF powercore 4 at a good price from a member on here. I love how it sounds so I ordered the powerbomb header. I just wanna get some input from people who have this set up.

what doesnt do so well with that setup, and how loud is the powercore?, im in a tossup between the q4 and power core right now.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what doesnt do so well with that setup, and how loud is the powercore?, im in a tossup between the q4 and power core right now.
I honestly couldn't tell you what doesn't work as I just installed the pipe. I really like the sound. Definitely manageable with a nice tone to it. Good bark to it with the spark arrestor out, but I will be keeping it in. I heard some video's of the Q4 and thought that it would be to quiet for me as I wanted something a little louder but don't wanna piss everyone off. As I understand the powerpomb header will quiet it down a tad also. I will try and get a sound clip for you this afternoon.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I honestly couldn't tell you what doesn't work as I just installed the pipe. I really like the sound. Definitely manageable with a nice tone to it. Good bark to it with the spark arrestor out, but I will be keeping it in. I heard some video's of the Q4 and thought that it would be to quiet for me as I wanted something a little louder but don't wanna piss everyone off. As I understand the powerpomb header will quiet it down a tad also. I will try and get a sound clip for you this afternoon.

thanks, that would be awesome, i decided to go with fmf, now i just gotta choose which can, if the loudness of the powercore is managable then ill just get that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I really like the sound of the q4, it is quiet compared to others but I think it has a really good sound to it. What kind of fuel controller can be used with it? If I went with the q4 an header an ehs lid, would we be best off with the ehs controller or a different one?

·
Registered
528 Posts
i talked to eric about that already, he can send you the ehs programmer already tuned for your setup.im having him set mine up for 11:1 piston, stage 1 hotcam, and full fmf system that i choose.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I've had both the Q4 and PowerCore on the XX with the Powerbomb header. I really liked the sound of the Q4, it has a deep rumble and isn't raspy like the louder pipes. The PowerCore is a bit louder but still has a manageable sound level. In all honesty I couldn't tell a difference in power from either. There was a large power increase over stock though.
I believe the most important things to look at when buying an exhaust is the fit and finish and not advertised power claims. Most every exhaust will produce nearly identical power gains. An exhaust with a straight through muffler may produce a little bit more on the top end but will alert every rider in a two mile radius that your coming lol.

I've been very pleased with the FMF, it installed perfectly and has quality construction. The Q4 is quite as advertised and the spark arrestor can be removed when needed for more sound and top end power. Same goes for the PowerCore. If I wasnt my iPhone I'd post a link to a thread I started about exhaust reviews.

So to sum it up, look for fit and finish, then what sound you favor and don't worry about power claims.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've had both the Q4 and PowerCore on the XX with the Powerbomb header. I really liked the sound of the Q4, it has a deep rumble and isn't raspy like the louder pipes. The PowerCore is a bit louder but still has a manageable sound level. In all honesty I couldn't tell a difference in power from either. There was a large power increase over stock though.
I believe the most important things to look at when buying an exhaust is the fit and finish and not advertised power claims. Most every exhaust will produce nearly identical power gains. An exhaust with a straight through muffler may produce a little bit more on the top end but will exhaust alert every rider in a two mile radius they your coming lol.

I've been very pleased with the FMF, it installed perfectly and has quality construction. The Q4 is quite as advertised and the spark arrestor can be removed when needed for more sound and top end power. Same goes for the PowerCore. If I wasnt my iPhone I'd post a link to a thread I started about exhaust reviews.

So to sum it up, look for fit and finish, then what found your favor and don't worry about power claims.

after talking yesterday, you know i want a mellow exhaust, what of the 2 that you have tried would you reccommend? how is the q4 designed differently from the powercore? if i knew the internal configuration i would know which one i want to go with, im ordering something today.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got off the phone with eric and ordered his ehs controller and air box lid. :rock:

·
Registered
120 Posts
good write up on the FMF with q4

http://www.atvillustrated.com/node/30

I am now leaning toward the FMF as well, nervous about the barkers being too loud. Eric said he could set up the EFI for the FMF an his airbox lid?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts