Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , most of you know the frame flexes.
The frame flex is actually a good thing on the xx , it weighs 500lbs and loves the rough stuff. If it didn't , We could buy aftermarket frames for the bugger.
Post all youre thoughts and ideas on the matter please.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Its really not the frame flexing as much as it is how honda made the mounts. The single mount on the bottom is the weak link!! I know a guy (part of 1a) that made new mounts like the 450R and it works alot better.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
To be honest, that's the place where mine broke is the bottom. No where else. Same with xx700xx. What did they do/can you post any pictures of the mount change. If it would fix the problem and give us a huge selection of bumpers that would be sweet!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I saw that one before but never was able to get a good look at how it was all done. The picture wasn't very revealing

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Mine broke on the upper left one. I would say the weakest link goes, it might have had a crap factory weld on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you guys think breaking mounts/bumpers that are hard mounted could be more related to vibration rather than flex? I know it flexs but i just feel like the vibrations being transferred to the front is what the problem is. The people that say they used rubber washers have had sucesses saving parts. I would think a washer could soak up vibration but actually flex a washer wouldn't help much in my mind. Just something to kick around I'm probably wrong like usual...

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you guys think breaking mounts/bumpers that are hard mounted could be more related to vibration rather than flex? I know it flexs but i just feel like the vibrations being transferred to the front is what the problem is. The people that say they used rubber washers have had sucesses saving parts. I would think a washer could soak up vibration but actually flex a washer wouldn't help much in my mind. Just something to kick around I'm probably wrong like usual...
You have skidplates ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
No but what's that have to do with it? They mount different so forces that are applied have different effects. Do the skid plates flex or rattle as if they were being vibrated?

·
Registered
148 Posts
You are the one that asked us to post our thoughts and then you are a smart ass. Whatever dude I was throwing it out there. I didn't say you were wrong I'm sure the frame flexes.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
So will a heavier bumper help or hurt vibration?
I would imagine that the heavier the worse off you are. A heavier bumper vibrating will more likely break those bumper mounts than one that is extremely light. I dont think this applies though considering all these aftermarket bumpers are so close in weight. Kyle listens to his customers and is sending me rubbing washers to help with this vibration. I'll be using locktite and the rubber washers for my testing. I'm not worried at all about breaking anything though, this is more precaution than anything. In my experience the big 42R turbos we had hanging from the headers I was building were more likely to crack a weld then the smaller 30R turbo. Here is a pic of the monster 42R hanging from a header I built on a 2L evo motor.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Looks like the connecting rod tried to escape from that block.

·
Registered
148 Posts
xx700xx, I think the way you are setting up your l8ton bumper for the test is the best way to. I dont imagine youll have any problems. You shouldn't need enough play to wiggle the bumper to much just enough to deaden the vibes coming off the frame I would think. I really don't think flex is the cause of all the bumpers failing apart although I'm sure the frame does flex. I also had problems with vibration in my other toys. I had a 99 Buell Cyclone and 08 Buell 1125r that both vibrated like a mother and would shake shit off and break small stuff.

·
Registered
455 Posts
All of my motorcycles have had everything on them mounted in rubber so they wouldn't vibrate. My last cruiser had the handlebar clamps mounted in rubber so they would twist a little on the forks and would throw off the angle.

Everyone was always freaking out because when my leg hit the side of the tank the tank would move and they were like OMG YOU NEED TO TIGHTEN YOUR TANK BEFORE IT FALLS OFF!!!!!!

I was like lulz it's mounted in rubber... It's sposta wiggle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts