Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 700xx with kenda Kutters tires. rear 22-inch, front 22-inch, Other than that ist all stock. I would like the 700 to handle better on the track. I had it out on the race track for about 20-laps and I was not happy with the front tires sliding at every turn. I would sit on the gas tank in the turns to help with this but I was not happy with way it handled. I also have a Yamaha raptor 700 that I took to the track and it was fantastic, perfect in the turnes. Do any of you guys on the TRX know what I can do to improve the 700xx in the turns. I like the quality of the ride on the Honda going in a straight line. I dont want to modify the suspension in a way that makes the ride stiffer. What is the best way to modify the suspension without costing a lot of money. If it is going to cost to much money to get this to handle good, its going up for sale and i'm going to enjoy the Raptor.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A L8ton sway bar makes all the difference in the world to help for this issue. It will help get rid of the front end push almost completely and it will make sliding the rear end out for turns. It is by far the best mod I have done for my XX

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Get some of the Teixeira Tech adjustable upper control arms for the front. Call Ed and he'll explain how they work in order to help the beast turn better.

·
Registered
455 Posts
L8ton Racing sway bar, and if you still aren't happy get a set of Teixeira Tech upper a arms.

And sometimes you really gotta get your butt over off the seat to the inside to get it to do what you want.

Once you learn the quad and figure out how to muscle it how it needs to be done you will throw rocks at the raptor. IRS is a completely different ball game and it has a pretty steep learning curve but once you figure it out you will love it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Sway bar, Ed's uppers, Rzr 2 fronts, and a little more sag. Slow speed compression, but that doesn't fall into the not a lot of money category.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
get some more seat time

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You are going to sacrifice some ground clearance, but if you are mainly interested in track handling then smaller tires will definitely help that. Not sure how much life you got left on yours, but something to think about when they need replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the fast reply. Today I am going to order the sway bar! Just one last question for you guys. 11/16 or 9/16. I ride the sand dunes in glamis, trails in Arizona, ( Rocky rutted, loose soil, tight turnes,sandy washes) I dont ride real fast, I like to jump, I like the stock smooth ride of the TRX for my age (49). The raptor i ride alot is my Sons and it gives my body a beating in a short time, thats why i like the 700xx so much. Thanks again.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I say get a 9/16. I run one and I've ridden xx's with the 11/16 and I feel that it's too stiff. Read my review on them in the reviews section.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I say get a 9/16. I run one and I've ridden xx's with the 11/16 and I feel that it's too stiff. Read my review on them in the reviews section.
I would tend to agree. I have the 9/16 and love how it gives "just enough" without interfering with the IRS doing it's job. The 700xx was meant to be a trail machine and wasn't really designed for MX. You can get it to handle better on the track, but not to the extent of a SRA quad... How? Throw money at it.
I'm 63 and ride trails, XC and dunes (Pismo, Sand Mountain)... Put me with Raptors on the trails here in Nor Cal and they'll be eating my dust all day.

roadkill

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yup the TRX takes some time getting used to. But when you do, people best be getting out of your way!!!

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
A L8ton sway bar makes all the difference in the world to help for this issue. It will help get rid of the front end push almost completely and it will make sliding the rear end out for turns. It is by far the best mod I have done for my XX
Swaybar helps but the upper a-arms are a cure.

L8ton Racing sway bar, and if you still aren't happy get a set of Teixeira Tech upper a arms.

And sometimes you really gotta get your butt over off the seat to the inside to get it to do what you want.

Once you learn the quad and figure out how to muscle it how it needs to be done you will throw rocks at the raptor. IRS is a completely different ball game and it has a pretty steep learning curve but once you figure it out you will love it.
The xx takes alittle differant riding style. Once you crack that , it's a whole new world.

get some more seat time
Agreed !

You are going to sacrifice some ground clearance, but if you are mainly interested in track handling then smaller tires will definitely help that. Not sure how much life you got left on yours, but something to think about when they need replaced.
Smaller tyres help on the track but not on the trails.

Yup the TRX takes some time getting used to. But when you do, people best be getting out of your way!!!
Agreed ! :D

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Then ,IMO. Go for 18" on the rear and go for 20" on the front , you have a choice and guessing you maybe from the US :

For the rear fitted to a 10x8 or 10x7:
BKT X-Drive 18x10x10. Theres a rumour that they don't produce this anymore.
Maxxis Razr MX , 18x11x10 , this is a 2ply tyre and would recommend running a higher psi.
The 3rd is a Goldspeed SX 18x10x10,This is a 6 ply. Copy of the Maxxis Razr cross but Maxxis does not sell it under there own name. I know DWT have started selling Goldspeeds, I would cotact them.

For the front Maxxis Razr MX 20x6x10 on a 10x5 rim , you'll not find better. It works out about 19" od. Perfect .:D

Only other options for the rear is street legal tyres.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply. Today I am going to order the sway bar! Just one last question for you guys. 11/16 or 9/16. I ride the sand dunes in glamis, trails in Arizona, ( Rocky rutted, loose soil, tight turnes,sandy washes) I dont ride real fast, I like to jump, I like the stock smooth ride of the TRX for my age (49). The raptor i ride alot is my Sons and it gives my body a beating in a short time, thats why i like the 700xx so much. Thanks again.
It will be hard to set the TRX up to be fast on the track and comfortable
in the rocky rutted trails you mention in Arizona. I'd get the 11/16"s sway bar, be better for the track. And when you ride the rough stuff you could tough it out, or switch back to stock bar it's a easy swap. I dont ride at the track, but use the 11/16"s for the Ohio trails and Mountains in WV. and it's sweet! I would always give up comfort for the ability to turn and higher speeds. But you've probably allready placed your order, lol.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't like how much the 11/16 bar limits your rear end movement. If you go over a drop sideways or the trail is rutted out on one side and you're at an angle the 9/16 lets you sit a little more level because it allows for more articulation of the rear.

Where I see people sticking their foot off their solid axle quads to keep it from falling over I can stay completely on mine and just shift my weight to the top side and not worry.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.