Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to change out the front sprocket to a 13T today and when I got it off it had the grooved side facing into the case whereas the picture in the manual shows it grooved side out. Should I go with the way it came off or like the manual shows? It looks like it would make a difference in the offset. Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
It does! It will cause ur chain to track crooked, not good. I put mine on exactly like the factory came off and I havent had any problems at all its been 14 months now thats the very frist thing I did to her.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is yours groove out or in?

·
Registered
551 Posts
The "groove" goes out, if u look at it from the top one side is thicker than the other the thicker side spaces it out for correct alignment, this goes in and the "groove" goes out!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then someone on the Honda line wasnt payingttention. I'm headed back down there to turn it around while I'm still in the mood ( already worked on a YFZ450, Teryx, Tecate 4, and now the Honda. Thanks for the good directions 700XXCrazy

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had some wear on the face of the sprocket where it was backwards. After talking to 700XXCRAZY I went back down and looked at it and the alignment was off. Put it back on like he said and what the manual shows and everything looks good. After riding it this morning I should have done this last year. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I had some wear on the face of the sprocket where it was backwards. After talking to 700XXCRAZY I went back down and looked at it and the alignment was off. Put it back on like he said and what the manual shows and everything looks good. After riding it this morning I should have done this last year. Oh well.
Ok, good to hear. I've only ridden a half hour so far. Thanks for the update!!!

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I went out today with the groove facing out. My xx started making noises that weren't there before(noises related to the chain). I switched the 13t sprocket back to groove facing in and the machine is flawless. I checked the wear marks on the old sprocket and all signs point to the groove facing in. Sorry, I'm going to have to agree to disagree on this one....When in rome....Haha

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yea sorry guys I double checked myself GROOVE GOES IN!!!!!!! So sorry.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Naw it shouldnt tear anything up, cause they would hear it like u did, once again so sorry guys for being wrong I HATE BEIN WRONG!!!! but will amidit it when I am.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to hear! Its been worrying the piss out of me! I only have about 5 minutes on it so when I get back home this weekend I'll swap it back around. The picture in the service manual is wrong then, that's what started this whole delima. I always second and third guess myself. Thanks everyone for clearing it up!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm going to have to double check mine since i've had it on and off. You guys have me wondering now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fixed and ready to go! All I gotta do now is get some tires for the Teryx. Hell, I even got the oil leaks fixed on the Tecate so I can ride it for 30 minutes (will want the Honda back after that).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just flipped mine around tonight after running it the last 6 months with the grooved side out. The 13T was one of the first mods I did, and the manual clearly states to mount it grooved side out. I noticed the stock one was flat side out, and wondered about that at the time... Fortunately it wasn't worn too bad, better late than never.:nuts:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow , now you got me wondering. Dont both sprockets have the same grooves on either side? I had the dealer do mine, but if the service manual has it wrong then i suppose they could have gotten it wrong. :steamed:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts