Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Front Sprocket Install ?

9K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  crwh45 
#1 ·
I recently installed a 13T sprocket. When I put it on the splines, I just slipped the chain over it and did not make sure that the slack was about the same on the top and bottom of the chain. I adjusted it by checking the amount of slack mid way on the lower part of the chain. After thinking about it, I am second guessing myself and wondering if I might have it to tight on the top. Do I need to go back and take it off and start over? Thanks.

#2 ·
No. Worst case, you'd just need to check the tension. Even if you had your chain unbalanced like you're talking about, that problem would go away as soon as you shifted into neutral and rolled a bit.

#3 ·
Not sure just putting it in neutral will equalize it. If there are 18 links on top and 20 on the bottom from a center line, turning the chain is not going to change the number of links. Seems like it needs to be moved a link to make the numbes even on top and bottom. Assuming it is a 38/13 setup.

#5 ·
Not sure just putting it in neutral will equalize it. If there are 18 links on top and 20 on the bottom from a center line, turning the chain is not going to change the number of links. Seems like it needs to be moved a link to make the numbes even on top and bottom. Assuming it is a 38/13 setup.
It doesn't matter if the sprocket moves a tooth while it is on the shaft or off the shaft.

#4 ·
Duramax, it will equal out on it's own. When you accelerate in the forward direction, the top of the chain is going to tighten right up as that is the direction you are pulling it w/ the front sprocket, therefore there will be a little slack on the bottom if that makes sense. Plus, if you have the bike in neutral when you check the chain, the front sprocket may move a bit when you are pulling up on the chain.

#7 · (Edited)
Not sure how to explain. Imagine you are "off a link" (short one on the top). If you were to hold the front sprocket stationary and you then rotate the rear sprocket towards the front of the bike what would happen? You would end up with the same number of links on top as on the bottom. It is really a moot point though, because when you adjust the tensioners it takes care of it.

#8 ·
Duramax, I completely understand what you're getting at. I was worried about the same thing. But here's what happens--you've got 19 links on top or 20 on bottom or something like that. Then you pull in the clutch. Now the front sprocket and rear sprocket can move independently of each other as far as the chain will allow them to. So the front sprocket might turn backwards just a tick, or whatever it needs to get equal tension on top and bottom. So now they're equal, and tension just needs checked again. Does that make sense?

#9 ·
Ok. I will accept what you are saying but I don't see how turning either gear is the same as actaully taking the chain off and moving it one link on the gear. I will take a closer look at it when I readjust it. Thanks.

#12 ·
It's front wheel drive with 80" tires so it's actually going really fast forwards.

#13 ·
just adjust the chain per sticker on the frame/owners manual and ride it. it doesn matter if the links are evened out or not, the only thing the spockets care about is proper chain tension.

i raced oval with other machines, there were some tracks i would run a 13-38, and others would be a 15-34. i would have driven myself mad if i had worried about even link counts haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.