Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll drive this anywhere in the country too. This truck gets TONS of attention.

Details
1999.5 This truck is a "late 99" and there is a HUGE difference between the two. you DO NOT want an early '99.
7.3L Powerstroke - you DO NOT want a 6.0L they have TONS of issues.
Automatic
6.5" ProComp Lift - Upgraded Bilstein shocks
20" American Racinge Mojave Wheels
37" Super Swamper SSR Wheels
(This truck has not always been lifted. In fact it has only been lifted since April of this year ~ 10k miles)

Interior:
Tan leather, fully loaded, everything works, shift on fly 4x4.

Exterior:
The truck is 10 years old. It does have some scratches and SMALL TINY little dings, but is VERY clean at the same time. Hides dirt very well being white and tan. It needs the pin stripe vinyl sticker put back on that seperates the two colors. The power washer took it off.

$16,000 obo.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In addition to not wanting a 6.0L powerstroke (because it is a suck a** engine), you also do not want the new 6.4L twin turbo ford put out, because it is garbage too.

Ford got in a big fight with int'l earlier this year because int'l started refusing warranty claims on the 6.4. Int'l claims ford is ruining the engine with the ford fuel injection control module and emission controls. Int'l apparently sells this engine in europe and it has had tremendous success (reportedly). Rumor in the ford circle is that after the dust settles the 6.4L twin t will be discontinued in late '10 or early '11 and ford is supposedly designing its own diesel for the super duty.

IMHO, if a guy had a good used truck and was in the market for something new, check out the cummins swap. There's a place in montana that sells nearly and year of cummins engine with swap kits for any truck.

I've been thinkin about doin this, but I'm not sure yet. To me the perfect truck is a super duty (huge cab) and a '05 5.9L cummins. The swap is about 12K if u do it urself, 19K if they do it for u.

Anyway food for thought, don't buy the 6.4L twin t.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In addition to not wanting a 6.0L powerstroke (because it is a suck a** engine), you also do not want the new 6.4L twin turbo ford put out, because it is garbage too.

Ford got in a big fight with int'l earlier this year because int'l started refusing warranty claims on the 6.4. Int'l claims ford is ruining the engine with the ford fuel injection control module and emission controls. Int'l apparently sells this engine in europe and it has had tremendous success (reportedly). Rumor in the ford circle is that after the dust settles the 6.4L twin t will be discontinued in late '10 or early '11 and ford is supposedly designing its own diesel for the super duty.

IMHO, if a guy had a good used truck and was in the market for something new, check out the cummins swap. There's a place in montana that sells nearly and year of cummins engine with swap kits for any truck.

I've been thinkin about doin this, but I'm not sure yet. To me the perfect truck is a super duty (huge cab) and a '05 5.9L cummins. The swap is about 12K if u do it urself, 19K if they do it for u.

Anyway food for thought, don't buy the 6.4L twin t.

Agreed. And Ford has already designed THEIR own 6.7L Powerstroke that is FORD built. It's supposed to be a pretty good motor from what i'm hearing.

A good friend of mine is a Ford Diesel tech here in dallas and I recently had him replace two sensors on this truck (EBP & IPR) and while I was there he said, "see why i keep telling you not to buy a 6.0 or a 6.4?" and he pointed at ALL the trucks in the service area - out of 15-18 trucks, 2 of them were 7.3L trucks. And they weren't even in there for work on the motors. But he pointed to them and was like "6oh 6oh 6oh 6four 6oh 6four 6four...."

The 7.3 is an AWESOME engine. It may not make the HP the newer ones do, but it will outlast everyone of them!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have OWNED an early '99 for seven years, can you tell me what I'm missing? Not being smart, just want to know if my truck is going to explode in the driveway or something lol. The only differences I can think of are smaller axle blocks on the newer ones and a power increase for the V-10. Mine is an extended cab eight foot bed V-10 auto 4wd. The only things that I have done are replace all of the brake rotors and rebuild the tranny, she just turned 170,000 miles and still purrs like a kitten.

They are some of the best looking trucks on the road imho. GL with the sale, yours is very nice looking and should move pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have OWNED an early '99 for seven years, can you tell me what I'm missing? Not being smart, just want to know if my truck is going to explode in the driveway or something lol. The only differences I can think of are smaller axle blocks on the newer ones and a power increase for the V-10. Mine is an extended cab eight foot bed V-10 auto 4wd. The only things that I have done are replace all of the brake rotors and rebuild the tranny, she just turned 170,000 miles and still purrs like a kitten.

They are some of the best looking trucks on the road imho. GL with the sale, yours is very nice looking and should move pretty easily.
From what I understand, the late 7.3 has a larger turbo, and the early 99 is the same motor from 95.5-99.

Don't think its gonna blow up! :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your V10 is not going to explode lol. Imho the triton v10 is the best engine FORD ever made. I have a F350 with the v10 I bought it new in 2000 it has 135000+ miles on it... It has been in the shop ZERO times for engine work. It doesn't leak oil, coolant or anything for that matter and it still runs like the first day I drove it home. It has never left me stranded. Excellent engine. In fact if I decide not to do the cummins implant, my other choice will be a newer v10.

I know several ppl with motorhomes that have the v10 in them and they also have had no problems with the v10, the only complaint I have from the v10 is gas mileage WHEN towing (expected from a gas pot), hence the interest in the cummins implant.

But overall having owned it so long and abused it 4x4ing for so many summers and using it as a daily driver I could not be happier.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The 5.4 with aluminum heads has a nasty habit of shooting out spark plugs.

I used to wrench in a ford shop (04-06) and ya the 5.4 is junk. But we never worked on the v10... Meaning they just never came in for engine work. And I'm still buddies with some of the guys I worked with at ford and they have since jumped around to several other local ford shops and they still just don't see the v10's in the shop.

But anyway ya the 5.4 with alum heads had a tsb when it first came out for the plug holes and it also had a tech service bullitin (free repair to customer) for a timing chain noise.

So as far as I know in my exp with the v10 its as bulletproof as the 4R100 trans that its hooked to (which is better than kevlar) :)

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
We have four ambulances at work, 1 power stroke and the rest are 6.0's. The Power stroke is obviously the oldest but still runs the best and has the most power. The 6 liter ambulances are always messed up...ALWAYS! We had one break down at the ER last night. One of them sputters and is all choppy when accelerating till it warms up. Complete garbage. I hear ford's new motor should be better, I'd sure hope so!

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much tread is left? Can you take pictures of the interior?

I have cash in hand and would be interested. Is there any chance you can meet me somewhere? I can drive to the west side of LA, on the TX/LA line if everything checks out.

Best

·
Registered
131 Posts
if i might add i had an early 99 with the 7.3 and i put 250,000 miles on it before i got rid of it only ever had small miner problems and normal were and tair on it..??

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Angie,

are you still interested in it? I've since put the '05-07 front end on it! Tread is about 50% on 3 of the tires and about 40% on one. I also hava spare wheel. Interior is IMMACULENT, I'll try to get it cleaned up and take some pics of the inside, but its perfect.

Only one problem I have with it right now is that I was drunk and either misplaced the faceplate or someone got in it and stole JUST the faceplate. My boat has the same radio, but the marine version and i'm currently using that. So the truck will not come with a faceplate, but i can bring the faceplate to the boat to show you that it all works and sounds awesome. Depending on if my asking price is met, will determine if I leave the entire system in it. (alpine head unit, 4x100 amp, 1x1000 amp, JL Audio C5 Components, Infinity Kappa rears, and 3 Type R 10" subs in a custom box.)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i would love thhis truck for my first truck but you live in texas and i live in ny.......back to craigslist......6 more months and ill have a permit

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trucks haunted.

shhhhhhhh.... lol that's not why I'm selling it though.

btw, i'll drive it to NY if you want - you pay diesel and my time $100 a day.

·
Registered
189 Posts
how many miles are on the truck?

·
Registered
89 Posts
thats a nice truck, wish i could buy it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts