Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Fuel Delivery

12K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  griggsyxx1 
#1 ·
I had some trouble with my trx700xx last weekend, so I will describe the situation and see if you all can help me troubleshoot.

I was trail-riding with a friend when the 700 acted as though it was not receiving fuel. I was moving along about 25mph when the engine sputtered, lost power and backfired, then returned to power and accelerated back to 25mph. All without letting off the throttle. It did this two more times, then died. I tried restarting and it fired for a sec or two then died again. I tried restarting it and it wouldn't fire. I tried and tired, and finally told my buddy to ride back to the truck for the tow rope.

While he was fetching the tow rope, I tried restarting the 700 without luck. I would turn engine run and key off and back on and try to start. No fire. I do recall NOT hearing the appropriate fuel pump pressurizing sound, like normal. The 2 seconds where it runs just after you turn the key on. It sounded as though it was attempting to pressurize but not completing. In other words, the sound was not normal and not for the normal duration.

I started looking for any loose connections, fuel leaks, or any other problem indicators. The fuel valve was in the ON position, but I turned it to off and then to on, and then to off and then to res. With the fuel valve in the res position I tried starting the 700 and it fired. At the time, I thought I may have had the fuel valve in the off position and I just ran the fuel out of the pump/lines. But after thinking about it, the valve was in the on position during the ride. We had been riding for a couple hours before this happened, so I don't think the valve had anything to do with it.

About 30 min before this happened I flipped my 700 over onto it's roof/seat. I turn the quad over, moved the engine run to stop then back to run, and the key to off and on. It wouldn't start until I did these things. I am assuming that is due to the bank angle sensor? Anyway, from the time I flipped it and restarted it until the fuel delivery problem was about 30min, and during that time I was jumping the 700. Nothing worth mentioning, just first gear jumping, turn around, wheelie off a bank, turn around and jump the bank, repeat.

When the quad died, it was around 25mph trail riding. I havn't really had a chance to mess with the 700 since i got it back to the trucks and loaded it up on the trailer. This is concerning, but I am not exactly sure how to handle the problem. (If it still a problem) The 700 fired right up after a wash and did fine on the drive from trailer to garage. I turn it off and on a couple of time and listened to the fuel pump and each time it primed like it was supposed to (or at least sounded like it).

I am guessing it is a problem with the fuel pump or the bank angle sensor. I plan to check the power input/ground line for the bank angle sensor with a voltage meter. Maybe inspect the fuel pump relay? Sub Fuel Tank/Fuel Pump inspection?

My 700 was purchased new from dealer in June 2010. I purchased it from the original owner. He says the factory warranty is still good for one year. I am not quite sure how that would work, since I am not the original owner, but should I take the quad in to a Honda dealer and let them work on it? Would my problem be covered?

Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it just possible it was time to flip to reserve?

#3 ·
That was my question

When I run mine out of gas it does the exact same thing. Kind of sputters and acts weird, then dies. Sometimes it will start, then dies again. Switch to reserve and its back to thumping. I'd fill it up and if it runs fine, good chance that was it

Also remember you can still see gas in the bottom of the tank when its time to switch to reserve because of however the reserve works. Just warning ya, cause I thought I had a problem the first time I did that

#6 ·
If I remeber correctly didn't they have an issue with dealers putting on the petcock wrong for the fuel switch?? That may be an issue too and you ran it out of fuel.

#7 ·
This happened to mine last weekend but I got her soaked and then it did it. Just died on the trail at about 30 and stalled. It fired up after a couple of minutes but was backfiring. Could it had gotten wet?

#11 ·
It is hard to believe that I would be that retarded as to run it out of fuel. :nuts: I have ridden quads and bikes for 20 years. I suppose it is not out of the realm of possibility. :disgust: I recall checking how much gas I had in the tank when it wouldn't start. There was gas in it, I just don't remember how much. It has been sitting in the garage since, and I havn't added any fuel. I will check the level.

I topped the tank off before the ride last weekend, and I don't think I could run all the fuel out in just 3 hours.

thanks for the info :cry:

This happened to mine last weekend but I got her soaked and then it did it. Just died on the trail at about 30 and stalled. It fired up after a couple of minutes but was backfiring. Could it had gotten wet?
I was blasting through creeks and large puddles, but they didn't cause any backfire or stalling. They just loosened the stock exhaust heatshield.

#14 ·
There was gas in the tank, but maybe not enough? Meter said 2.2gal worth of gas on the refill. Manual says Fuel Tank is 2.5gal. Fuel valve assembly doesn't allow the last 1/4 gal of gas in tank to be consumed?

#16 ·
Atleast you still had the petcock lever, to flip once you fiquered it out.

#17 ·
herpderp

#18 ·
I keep hearing the same thing over and over. I have the same issue, I'll be riding for a while then it decides to bog down and die.
I had it in for service and they replaced the fuel pump. Then everything seemed fine until I took it out again.
I would like to hear from someone who has had the same problem and fixed it. It isn't the fuel lever because it happens on a full tank of brand new premium. I don't see how it can be the valves, because the quad literally is fuel starved.
Does anyone know of a fuel filter I might of overlooked?

#19 ·
I keep hearing the same thing over and over. I have the same issue, I'll be riding for a while then it decides to bog down and die.
I had it in for service and they replaced the fuel pump. Then everything seemed fine until I took it out again.
I would like to hear from someone who has had the same problem and fixed it. It isn't the fuel lever because it happens on a full tank of brand new premium. I don't see how it can be the valves, because the quad literally is fuel starved.
Does anyone know of a fuel filter I might of overlooked?
There is a fuel filter in the fuel pump cannister at the top.

Answer to another question: The "bank angle sensor" can be re-set by turning the key to OFF, wait a second or 2 and turning back to ON... you don't need to mess with the kill switch.

roadkill

#21 ·
:nuts: I ran my quad yesterday over 12 1/2 mins with the fuel lever off. Not just idling but trail riding. I swore I turned it on, but it was off. Hell I might have turned it off before I left the trail head, thinking I was turning it on...:nuts:

#22 ·
Im sure the poster is aware, but running out of fuel, flicking to res will fill up the fuel cannister.. Even if its switched back to full tank the quad will run for a long time before it uses up the fuel in the cannister and starts coughing/spluttering/dies again..

#23 ·
I had a similar problem on a poker run, everything was mud-covered so I had to call it a day. When I got back and got her cleaned up, I found it was a loose battery terminal. I cleaned and sanded it and replaced the nut and bolt to make sure it fit tight and it's been running great since then, hope this helps.

#24 · (Edited)
Check your fuel filter all that rocking and rolling may have stirred dirt in the bottom up ,and a warning came out in Australia that people were having problems and the same stalling and no power that you are having which was the fuel filter just a suggestion.

Let me know you get on, being efi they run high pressure and when the filter gets restricted that's how they will run _ _like crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.