Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live I can't seem to find anything higher than 88 or 89 octane.So should I add something to the fuel to make it higher?would this help or be benificial in any way?friend on mine said I could run purple but wasn't really sure what octane it is...and if it would hurt my engine.what would you guys do?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
You would be wasting your money running anything more than 89 on a stock bike. You will not make any more power with additives.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I don't believe in additives, what is your bike doing on the 89? any knocking? if not you are ok, if it is I would recommend buying some race fuel in 5 gallon cans, pour 1 gallon in a 5 gallon can and add 4 gallons of 89. You will be fine. 89x4=356+110=466/5=93 good to go. so 5 gallons of race gas will yeald 25 gallons of 93!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You would be wasting your money running anything more than 89 on a stock bike. You will not make any more power with additives.
Thanks...what about this purple race fuel?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree, I used 89 for the longest time but it was knocking as soon as I went to 93 it stopped and seemed to run a little better. There will be no big improvement but I did stop the knocking that way. That was on a complete stock bike with only a slip on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe in additives, what is your bike doing on the 89? any knocking? if not you are ok, if it is I would recommend buying some race fuel in 5 gallon cans, pour 1 gallon in a 5 gallon can and add 4 gallons of 89. You will be fine. 89x4=356+110=466/5=93 good to go. so 5 gallons of race gas will yeald 25 gallons of 93!
Seems to be knocking or tapping sound coming from somewhere but seems not to do it when I give it a little gas...maybe normal but not sure.do know any thing about this purple gas my friend was talking about.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Its prob 110. Is it VP racing fuel?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So mix the purple stuff one gallon to four gallons of 89?

·
Registered
306 Posts
That would give you a better blend and you can see if the knock goes away for ya.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just noticed what phucknutz was saying....thanks for the info guys! This iPhone is slow

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Octane and compression ratio are related. The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane needs to be to be stable under compression. Lower octane fuels will pre-detonate under higher compression and cause what we hear as knock. However, an engine that is designed for lower octane fuels (lower compression ratio) will NOT run any better using a fuel of higher octane... just a waste of money for no benefit.

roadkill

·
Registered
667 Posts
if you are knocking like us said, i know mine did, mix 1 gal purple race gas to 4 gal. race fuel

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found the purple stuff..think they said it was VP purple leaded 110 octane ,also had 113 octane oxegenated leaded...guess they were not a unleaded gas

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
You can run leaded gas if you please, The lead will only harm O2 sensors which you dont have. Lead also acts as a cylinder lubricant so that's a plus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool..gonna try it!thanks

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
If you wanna call soot cushion, Yes lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.