Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this may be a dumb ?, but, from experience, how does the XX take to being revved hard to the limiter daily, staying near redline constantly? I ride this thing harder than my CRF450. I know Hondas are generally bulletproof, as I have revved my S2000 to 9,250 rpm every day since I bought it new. Just curious how the XX will hold up to this kind of "abuse". (Taking in to account regular maintenance, oil changes, air filters, etc., of course)

Thanks all

·
Registered
821 Posts
Where do you ride to be able to hold it in the higher Rpms. My experience has been bigger motors don't like high rpms, they are made to use the torque in the mid rpms. I would do it but I have really no experience in revving them that high.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have over 200 acres of riding area around my house. About half of it is tight, rough trails, and the other half is long, straight fire roads, some of them long enough to wind out 5th gear. I generally stay in 2nd in the trails and just rev it out when I need to accelerate, very seldom ever going to 3rd. I keep the RPMs up due to the fact that this thing, like my S, has very little low end torque, and keeping it boiling keeps it responsive when I need to GO, and it just seems to pull and pull and pull, never seeming to fall flat. Its hard to hit the limiter! Just hoping that Honda designed this engine for high rev assault, otherwise I'll be doing a top end build sooner than later, which I don't want...

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I rev mine pretty hard but its not constant. I don't know how hard any motor can take a constant rev.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've held my S2000 above 8,000 for hours at a time during hard mountain road driving and never had even a hiccup out of it. And I'm at 112k miles now. The car was designed to have the piss revved out of it, as it makes it's peak 243bhp at 8,400 rpm. I'm just trying to get info from someone who has had the XX for a while and has ran the he'll out of it daily, and what may or may not have happened because of it. If it's like all the other Hondas I've owned, it'll be fine. Hoping someone else can comment on this so I don't have to find out the hard way if it can't take it...

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
When I ride mine its hard and fast and I've had mine for two years now no problems.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I ride mine hard and rev it high every time I get on it. It has held together for me. honda motors are known to take a beating but over time it will give out on you just like any motor. I expect mine to need a rebuild in a few years and I think you should expect the same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I hope it wont need a rebuild for at least 5 years or more lol. I had a 1990 250X that had God knows how many hours on it and it lasted 10 years before it was sold and still didn't use a drop of oil, tick or smoke, and never even had a valve adjustment!!!! That's Honda reliability at it's finest. I bet it's still running to this day if it hasnt been wrecked or stolen, and even if, it probably still starts and runs.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I keep the RPMs up due to the fact that this thing, like my S, has very little low end torque...
Excuse me!? Has little low end torque!? Are you sure you're on a 700xx?! Go look at the back, is the IRS there!?!? I could see you saying that on a YZF450 or banshee or something.... but are you serious!?

·
Registered
821 Posts
From my experiences, big motors dont like rpms. Lot of stress on rotating assembly because everything is heavier. The piston in the xx engine is probably bigger than the one from your "S". These things have great low end, especially after a programmer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was referencing low end torque, I was referencing the fact that this engine doesnt really start breathing until the midrange, which is true. And it probably has alot to do with me comparing it with my 10' CRF450R, which blows it away on bottom end power, hands down (I know, I know, I'm comparing a 235lb bike to a 505lb quad, which has most to do with it, but still). Carry on...

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
overhead cam motors will respond better to higher rpms rocker arm motors will rev high as well but its much harder on them. piston size and mass also comes into factor at high rpms on these motors and they are a single cylinder compared to a s2000 you have opposing force on those motors to smooth it out. on a xx you have the negative bob weight and a counterbalancer. a 450 crank also weighs under 10 pds where a 700 is closer to 20 along with a piston that can weigh a couple hundered grams heavier easily so yeah you can rev them they will go there but it is much harder on a big single motor than a smaller one

if you put some parts on there i think you will see the xx has a lot of tq potential

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be adding a PCV and head pipe next week. I recently installed a UNI filter and customized my air box lid similar to an EHS lid, which helped very little without a PC. I'm also considering a cam, and possibly a head and internal rework, depending on how satisfied I am with the other mods. Anyone have a full build they can comment on?

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Well you can look at my sig. and that is what I have installed on my bike and its a huge difference from stock. If you are serious about the motor work you need to know ahead of time what your budget is. If you have an extra grand laying around I would say a web 290 and a cp piston is a great start. You would also need valve springs and hardwelded rockers for the cam. Then while I had it apart it would do a +1 intake valve upgrade and a port and polish on the head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna set my limit at about $2,500. I'm going all the way if I decide to break the seals... Will update in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
That's a pretty nice limit. I would definitely go with the web 290 cam with springs and rockers. A nice +1 port job on the head and depending on your fuel options either a cp 11:1 or 12:1 piston. Along with a dyno jet PC 5, and full pipe. Then I would focus on the suspension and some good rear tires. This combo provides tons of upper rpm power and its revs to the moon like a 450r. You will also need to do a little clutch work as well by replacing the semifiber plate with a full fiber, pull out the jutter springs and do a three spring upgrade in the basket hub.

Here's a link to what mine looks like now and what you can expect to find when pulling the motor apart.
http://m1220.photobucket.com/albumv...2bd6-d6c6-4bbf-9417-d58c4997a208.jpg.html?o=0

1 - 16 of 16 Posts