Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I,m comtemplating the 700xx and it has been a long time since I had a sport quad. My questions are these:

When you get stuck what parts are strong enough to hook a winch cable to? I,m not looking to use the machine as a mud bogger but it would be nice to know if it did get stuck I'd know what to use and not to use.

Can I simply hook something to the rear grab bar or will it just bend. What do you guys use and or what have you used in the past to hook up too?

Also if I get a metal bumper for the front will it all be strong enough to allow the machine to be yanked out.

Last does anyone make a winch kit for this quad.

Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
see other thread for winch discussion..

1st, you wont get stuck especially with good tires.

But in the rare case you do (as I have) the front bumper is a lot stronger than you think.

As far as the rear goes, have not had to pull out with a winch backwards yet but I have yanked it out by hand..

·
Registered
984 Posts
X2, there is also enough frame exposed to hook onto the rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the rear of the machine strong enough for it to be yanked out by a cable of some kind?

if the front bumper is plastic isnt it dangerous to use for pulling out?

I keep forgetting this is not a utility machine so yanking it out of the mud will be a lot easier than trying to pull out a 700 lb ute.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I wouldn't yank a sport quad, that would be a sure fire bet on replacing fram parts that are no longer conforming to stock geometry.
I guess my point is how do you get it out of the mud if you cant lift its 500lb girth.

I wouldn't yank it out but can you hook up to something to winch it out if need be, is the grab bar strong enough to hook up to, what do you guys use in situations like these.

·
Registered
984 Posts
the grab bar should hold up to some pulling. I'm just adimint about hooking to the frame as low as possible on the machine that is stuck and higher on the machine that is pulling or anchor point to winch from. Doing this will provide some vertical force to help lift the stuck machine out of the mud as well as move it towards dry ground. I don't recommend wrapping a steel cable around any part of these machines, instead use a nylon strap or rope with loops on both ends that can be wrapped around the frame and then hooked onto the tow hook. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll be using a nylon kevlar winch cable so I should be fine.

I,m putting the wifes Rancher 420 for sale this week. Sure it has 4x4 function but it rides like tractor.

Then its 700xx time

·
Registered
364 Posts
FYI,
I pulled my buddies poohlaris 700 sportsman with his fat @ss (250) about 10 miles with the grab bar and a tow strap. Nothing hill wise, but a lot of large puddles, some mud etc. no joke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts