Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, here we go! I have a bone stock XX, and have been looking around the forums, even before I bought it, and have a bunch of questions. For starters, I want some mods, but don't know what to get. Is there an order you have to go in? Like exhaust, then filter, and so on? What is the Big 3 term referring to? I see it thrown around, no idea what it means, maybe the 3 biggest (most beneficial) and easiest mods to get? There is a guy a few miles away that makes custom exhausts, and he can make one for my ATV, that the route to go? Apparently he is good, and has tons of guys going back to him when a new ATV is purchased. As for new lights, I liked the slim HID kit, think i t was $80 or so, but I also saw plain old bulbs as well, and if it'd make it way easier, I'd like to go the bulb route. I would just prefer 8k or so, not sure what the bulbs are, but I know you can order specific color types with the slim kit (6k would be ok, but 8k preferred) I guess I would have to check around to the local shops in town, but I don't know of anyone besides a Kawasaki dealership in town that might be able to put on parts, maybe the place I got the XX from, they sell everything for the most part. Ugh, sorry, just realized the basic book I wrote up.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! First off I would recommend a full set of skid plates depending on the terrain you will be riding in. If you will be riding in rocky terrain or woods than they are necessary. They protect the frame and engine cases from damage. Then you may want a good aftermarket bumper and grab bar, the bumper protects the front in the event of a crash, and they both give you better means of lifting the quad in case you get stuck.

Ride it and get used to it in stock form and then you will want to do the "big 3", which is a pipe, fuel controller, and a intake filter setup. Good luck and enjoy the new machine!:tup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, forgot bout the skid plates, will need them for sure. Any suggestions on the big 3 parts? or is it pretty open as far as good and bad brands?

·
Banned
711 Posts
hey soilxx,

congrats on your xx, i love mine and for the woods and every thing i could ever do on a quad this quad is the absolute best.

for an exhaust i would say the hmf or motoworks exhaust all the way every exhaust is gonna be good, but desert racer wayne matlock told me out of every exhaust he tested the hmf produced the best even out of the race exhaust honda built for him, you can find the hmf slip on in ebay for 215 shiped thats the best price any where.

i would say a uni filter would be good, they cost between 25 and 35 bucks and efi moduals range in price, iam going to be testing a lexx/dobeck modual and they run 150 shiped and will do every thing the average joe could want, or you could get the power commander and they are about 300 + depending on model...

that is the big 3 in a nut shell. skids are cool but the ground clearance is so good i havent needed them yet, i upgraded my headlights for 30 bucks, their is a write up on that here --->http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1397 and a write up on the sr4 exhaust here --->http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1294

·
Registered
984 Posts
So far so good, Woods and Hawk covered the big three, protection and lights. I would add to that a 13 tooth front sprocket, this will help on those tight technical trails and increased acceleration. Front tires like Maxxis Razr 2's will help overcome some of that front end push. Some hand guards(the PowerMadd's are sweet) to protect your Manicure...err I mean knuckles...yea thats right, knuckles! :D Most of all, get some seat time to get a feel of what you like and don't like and start there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
^^^^^ I second that! Also, if you haven't, try riding some other quads. That is the easiest way to tell what mods you will want. When I rode other quads, I noticed how moch the XX pushes through turns(doesn't want to turn, just wants to drive through them and push forward). So, my first mod will be some Maxxi tires. If that doesn't address the push to my satisfaction, then my next step will be wider front A-arms. The XX is a great bike, but it is not superior to every bike in every way.

Everything I just spewed was what I have learned from the guys on this site. Great group!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Whats your budget? Do you want power, comfort, protection or safety?

·
Banned
711 Posts
power madd handguards are nice, and pretty cheep... and worth every penny.... i can second that...

how about also looking into protecting your self..... if you have crappy protection what good is a quad if the rider is all banged up and cant ride...

a good helmet, "race suit" chest protector and boots to start... then maybe a neck brace as well

·
Registered
33 Posts
i second that beacuse with the accident that i had on saturday it could of been alot worse and i was wearing full gear and still managed to brake my clavicul in half.im getting surgery tomorrow so no riding my xx for a couple of months.wish me luck guys

·
Registered
984 Posts
i second that beacuse with the accident that i had on saturday it could of been alot worse and i was wearing full gear and still managed to brake my clavicul in half.im getting surgery tomorrow so no riding my xx for a couple of months.wish me luck guys
Ouch! Speedy recovery to you Hector!

·
Banned
711 Posts
ya + 1 on the recovery...... parts that make your quad go faster are cool.... going faster and only having jeans and a t shirt and tennis shoes... maybe not the best idea... stupid hurts.....

my vote would be a good solid helmet gloves and atleast a chest protector..... and hopfully some sort of race pants and boots

check this link out for a review i did ----> http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1384

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow, you guys rock! I'd like a little of everything, maybe a good all around power boost. :nuts: SO many things, wow, never knew I'd have such a selection. You guys thinks a Kawasaki dealer or :lmao:---> polaris dealer could install all the mods for me? Oh, and any idea what the bulbs are near, like 6k or so? I'd prolly go with them, just because I think that's the only thing I could handle doing myself.

ps Hector, get better, that's rough man, hope all is well in recovering.

·
Banned
711 Posts
all of the big 3 and the bulbs you can do your self its not hard, to change the exhaust is only 3 bolts man.... the air filter is under the seat, vary easy to do.

go on ebay and buy a shop manual they are vary cheep maybe 25 bucks at the most.. it will tell you how to do every single thing, if you can do the head lights you can do the exhaust bud

·
Registered
551 Posts
^^^^^ Bump yea dont let it overwhelm you, Mechanicin at that hard (bolt on's anyways), Like Hawk said buy a manual! Great investment! (I need one too) LOL

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I saw your write up on the slip on, sounds like a pretty [email protected] investment, but, with a slip on, will you need to upgrade anything else? Or can ya just slip it on, and ride, no tweaking of any sorts?

oh and ps, this has to be one of THE most helpful communities out there, the feedback and in general help is overwhelming! Hats off to you guys

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would recommend getting the fuel controler first, as these machines run lean from the factory. Then you will only need to adjust it as you add exhaust and/or intake mods.

·
Registered
184 Posts
put the 13tooth on first its cheep. then start with the big three. I think the gear is almost as impressave as some of the 3 mods

1 - 20 of 25 Posts