Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be buying an extra set of wheels and tires so I can stud them to do a little ice racing. I've pretty much narrowed down to the Razr, RazrII, or holeshots - all with 10" wheels. The kenda's look like they'd work well, but for those plus extra 11" wheels it'd be a little pricey.

Anyone ever stud any of the above- pros / con's?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Yeah I imagine feet slipping and studded tires wouldnt be such a good thing

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I got some pics sent to me about Ice racing and they seem to run front tires on the rear with just 2 rows of studs on what looks like a Kenda Klaw XCF. I think this is in France.
Heres the pics.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Helmet Automotive tire

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the pics. I'm surprised by the 2 rows. I don't know if that's to meet class rules, but I was thinking I'd need to stud heavily like the motorcycle guys do- this bike makes much more power than some of 2 wheelers I'll be going with, and they stud the crap out of them. They use nearly 1000 screws per tire. I know they need to do all the side lugs too since they lay them down, but they spin with the 1000 studs. I guess I'll try less and add more as I go- I don't want it to just bite and flip- I want to pitch it in.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Steve Clithoroe give me some tips on ice racing. He lent me a vid of him doing the British Ice raceing the race that was held in a ice rink. He's a 3x British MX Champion and a very good friend. He used Turf Tamers with all the treads with studs in and angled the inside of the rear and the outside straight. For the front just had 2 rows and all facing forwards. He said the Turf Tamers worked great but the tyre was too soft and kept throwing studs out. He said go for a firmer tyre .

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Also contact USMC0861, He does a little ice racing on the off season. He's not been on lately but I have some info on ride height and shock length measurements for him.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They use narrow rear tyres on ice because it puts more weight on a smaller contact patch giving you more traction.........do a search on WRC cars; there is loads of info on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve Clithoroe give me some tips on ice racing. He lent me a vid of him doing the British Ice raceing the race that was held in a ice rink. He's a 3x British MX Champion and a very good friend. He used Turf Tamers with all the treads with studs in and angled the inside of the rear and the outside straight. For the front just had 2 rows and all facing forwards. He said the Turf Tamers worked great but the tyre was too soft and kept throwing studs out. He said go for a firmer tyre .
After doing more research, the turf tamers seem to be the way to go. The other tire everyone uses only comes for an 8" dia wheel, the tamers come in a 10". If I use a real long stud to go all the way through the carcass - like a 1" stud, I'm thinkin they'll stay in better. I'm gonna do the sway bar also.
After doing some research though, most of the competitive guys look like their machine is lowered a good deal. I can make up some relocation mounts for the front pretty easy, but the back looks a bit more challenging. any ideas to lower it?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Most people do use tires by Cheng shin, they make an ATV "Ice Tire" catch is it is only in 8"/9" rims.....so now the trade secrets come out....(because I probably won't be able to compete myself this year....and I want the 700xx to stick it to all the SRA quads)

There is a tire company that no longer makes ATV tires. Search Ebay for BKT tires, They make a 6ply 18" tire that fits on a 10" rim...$75 for two...cha ching...with this combo you will still be under the 50" rear width limit and when combined with an 19 front tire you are golden....This also drops the ride height by over two inches. If these tires are for play then run in 1/2-3/4" Kold Kutter screws in you desired pattern.....If you are racing use an old tire as a liner or baler belt from your local farm supply store as a liner and screw through the tire and into the liner with 1" screws....then run tubes in your rear tire....this will allow you to use your full power without ripping out the screws. If you want it done right take it to a professional....there tires are expensive but priceless...there is a science to it- the exact angle and pattern each screw are screwed into the tires, they index each and every screw for max power transfer....they get ridiculous. Good website for help is dieseljo.com. They have links to all the big Ice tire builders..

....Optional upgrades include lowering the suspension even more...

Sway bar is mandatory-L8ton, Durablue, Sonic...take your pick. I have the L8ton and it has worked well on dirt test runs.

Another thing that will help you if you get more serious about it is uncover you seat, and remove about an 1.5" of foam, it makes it a whole lot easier to swing you body to the inside.

If you don't have nerfs with aftermarket pegs built in buy some 450r foot peg extenders...they will bolt right on and give you something to push against for leverage.

I have let someone who races Vetran quad flat-track take a spin on the 700xx set up like this....his eyes lit up and now owns...yep an XX (he refuses to get on the forum..."I don't mess around with that crap")

Oh yeah and lighten the beast...there is lots of weight to be cut....just have to get creative :)....thats on your own

Anymore ?'s let me know....i'm feeling generous at the moment.

·
Registered
437 Posts
oh yeah two rows on the front are more than enough and they don't have to be real long since they aren't under power...this also serves as weight savings....Ice tires are HEAVY HEAVY....Hint Rear tread pattern matters...ALOT.

And sorry everyone.....I don't post much on here anymore...just haven't felt like it, I read almost everypost everyday...I have gone the whole year without missing a day so far....?'s ask...you like my internet family

and i bought a Supermoto bike....another current facination :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for all the info. I will look for those tires. I have a friend who is a veteran motorcycle ice racer and he gave me a heads up on the indexing- inside are drivers, outer edges are grabbers (anti-slide), fronts are all "grabbers", no drivers. At first it was just gonna be to play, but there are some ice racing series close to me, so I figure why not give it a shot. Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts