Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm all fixed up now and ready to start riding (thanks to those who gave me the nice welcome), but my girl needs a ride so that we can start travelling around and riding. I think i've narrowed it down to a 2008 Wolverine 350 for $3000 or a 2008 Recon for about the same. Both are new. Do you guys have any opinions on a good ATV for a 27 year old woman who is fit and has ridden her dad's a lot, but never owned her own. It would be nice to have racks on hers for tents, etc., but I think she'll really enjoy a sportier ride, and with the Wolverine she wouldn't even have to shift.

What do you guys think? I'm open to anything at this point.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would say either a Recon or 250ex. Depends on whether or not she is wanting to learn how to ride a bike with a clutch. Both are bullet proof and will perform for many years to come. Plus you can find really good deals on used ones. Not trying to knock the Wolverine but I am a little biased!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
my 01 recon has over 2000 hours on it and still runing strong... only thing ever replaced was the baterys, tires, and rear brakes

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ditto, get a 700xx. That is what the wife rides.:hey:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well in my case I bought her a 250ex but she has never ridden at all before. Personally I would go with the Wolverine. Its sportier and faster so she wont get bored with it, and you can get a rear rack for it to have it haul stuff too. As for the 250ex being cheaper used I could never find one for a good price. I got my 250ex new for $2700 otd but people are trying to sell '06 250ex on craigslist for 2700-2800 weird

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
You could get a nice used 400ex, prolly an 08 even, if she knows how to ride one with a clutch. I know some people aren't as fortunate as others w/ this economy, so if you look you can find tons of stuff people are trying to unload b/c they can't afford them. My buddy picked up 2 400exs (one stock and the other w/ a pipe, filter, and nerfs and both 07s) for $4100. The one still looks brand new. And with the ex, they have so many options out there, you could get a nice back bumper/rack like I used to have on mine for hunting and whatnot, and they are pretty much bulletproof.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I say buy her a xx. She will get used to the power. Just keep it stock this way there is always room for more power when she gets used to it. You could also get a six-pack rack for the xx and have the best of both worlds. The longer you hold out the cheaper they will get.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I think if she has ridden before she will out grow the choices you presented especially if she rides your 700xx from time to time. I went for the 700xx because I knew my boredom level and wanted a clutch...I was only allowed to buy one :( The wolverine was my choice if I went auto but I am so glad I didn't! It also depends what kind of riding she will be doing for climbs she will want the power to make it effortless...:hey:

Good luck!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I say again........ "Get her the 700xx". my wife wants one.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I'd say forget the 350 Wolverine for one important reason. It's 2wd. If you want to go that way in the first place, I'd say the 450 Wolverine would be better... automatic, 4wd and it's faster. Lets face it... sooner or later she's going to want something that at least kinda keep pace with you. My friend has both the 350 and the 450, at least the 450 can go over terrain that I can go over... the 350 without the 4wd and the power isn't as capable. JMO
Oh yeah, I like the idea of making the wife carry all the camping stuff on her quad. :yay:

roadkill

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ahhh yes I forgot the 350 wasnt 4wd then I agree with roadkill if you are thinking wolverine at this point 450 is the better bet with the 4wd and more power

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
got to drive a renegade 500 today fastest 500 4x4 i ever rode. got it to 70 and blew the grips of my ferinds rappy 350 (aka wolverine with new plastics)..... still eather did stand a chance when i got my 700xx out...

so maby a rene 500 wont be bad idea... i see them on craigslist for 3500 all the time...

·
Registered
452 Posts
i got my girl (just turned 23 lil pretty girl) a 09 raptor 250... n she hasnt even sat on it yet!!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
I really like the Wolverine 450 for what it is. My bro has one with an HMF pipe and jets and I'm awfully surprised what it can get through. It also feels a little more nimble than other 4x4s. They just need better tires on the front since it is 4wd.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Get the sportier ride my wife rides a 300ex and had never rode before and now wants a 700xx trucks are made for hauling tents and junk if your gonna travel and play get a toy thats playable and not for work to me thats all the recons and stuff are for is working, poo on that I do that for money not playing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just picked the wife up and old 2003 poolaris 330 magnum 4x4 for a small amount of yard work and some play, oh yeah the price was real cheap too. She has ridden mine but say it is too much for her. She said when she gets a sport wheeler sometime in the future she really wants either a 400ex or 450r:yay:. My brother had a raptor 250 that she liked but she wanted a bit more size and power. I am still gonna try to get her an XX but only time will tell, maybe I will get another for me. two is always better than one:D.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Get her a Rincon, hands down the best stock handling of any 4WD made. Not as much motor as most, but rides amazing and has smooth predictable power delivery. I have ridden mine on many a woods ride with sport bikes and had no trouble keeping up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, so all of the comments have been digested fully and I'm back to the drawing board. I think I'm going to get her an '09 King Quad 400AS that is down the street from my work for $4500. It's new and has all of the things that I think she'll want, such as room for a passenger, 4x4, racks for our gear, serious girth to get over terrain, and CVT. A new one is around $5500 so I think I'm getting a good deal.

My other choices are: '09 350 Wolverine for $4000, an '09 Polaris Sportsman 300 for $4100, or the King Quad for $4500.

That's the field and that's what I have access to. Wolverines are almost extinct at this point. 450 are pushing $5000 easily now.

Anyone notice that product warehouses are empty right when the media is pushing reports that the recession is over? The only powertoys that aren't liquidated are boats. I think things are getting ready to turn around quickly for us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts