Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrecked over the weekend and bent my handlebars, so I decided to get new handlebars.
I took my bike to the local shop and they said if I changed to fatbars then the throttle, breaks, grips etc would not fit and I would have to get new. I was aware that I would have to get new clamp but did not think I would have to replace all of the brackets for the breaks, clutch, throttle etc.
I was looking at getting Protaper bars with Trail tech clamp. Also what setup would allow me to keep the dummy lights? I'm about 5'8" and ride mostly rutted trails, woods, and hillclimbs. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
You wouldn't need new controls. The only space that is is 1 1/8" in the clamp area.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If your dealer told you that you would need new brake, clutch levers etc - You need to give someone else your business. They are knowingly trying to mislead you into buying more parts. Everyone in the industry knows the the bars are the same at the grip area. Freaking thieves!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If your dealer told you that you would need new brake, clutch levers etc - You need to give someone else your business. They are knowingly trying to mislead you into buying more parts. Everyone in the industry knows the the bars are the same at the grip area. Freaking thieves!
I was thinking the same thing. I bought my bike there and know one of the salesmen pretty well. I ended up ordering Pro-taper contour mid bend with trail tech clamp from Rocky Mountain. What is the average hourly rate for service on a bike? They said they would charge $75 to put on handle bars and trail tech clamp.

How hard is it to do it yourself?

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't think it would be that difficult and I found this video on Rocky Mountain
to be a little helpful and give me some kind of idea of whats involved.

$75 rate seems about right but you don't need all new controls. They are basically charging you an hour and an experienced tech at a shop will probably only take him 20 minutes and he'll make out good on that job.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Video/464

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Changing bars is simple, 15 minute job. I would never in a million years let a dealership change my bars.

They're either thieves, or extremely dumb.. both traits of most employees at dealerships I've noticed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.