Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else expirencing hot start prolbems with their Hotcam. Mine always starts but when its hot it has to crank for a while, and sometimes it coughs when it starts.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Mine kinda struggles to turn over sometimes when it's hot and I shut it down for a few seconds then try to restart. Make sure you pull the clutch all the way in when starting. See if that helps any. I had heard the hot cams are like that.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I was told to get a better battery with more cranking power and that solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I had heard about using a battery with more cranking amps if you was running a higher comp. piston. You think i need it for just the cam?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I would think it will help even if your not running higher comp. I'm going to order one today and I'll let you know how it does when I get it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Also make sure your valves are adjusted. Makes a big difference I found out!

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I was told to get a better battery with more cranking power and that solves the problem.
that was cus we had the nights on :nuts: but yeah the battery sucks....

ive got some bitchen light weight batteries that would spin that motor over damn fast, but i doubt many would be willing to spend 200+

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the same problems... i think it might be my decompressioner because each time it comes up to the compression stroke it wont hardly passes it.... if it is cold i will almost kill the battery trying to crank it becuase of the starter load and the coughing it does.. could be decompressioner, could be weak battery, or it might be both lol

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
what do you mean by "coughing"? Mine barely turns over. Its not every time though. Just on occasion when it's hot. I think a stronger battery would cure my problems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Its like a half fire thats late.. just imagine urs coming up the compression stroke and just does turn by it and "cough"

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
ok was just wondering if i was having a similar problem as you guys. Mine will fire right up, but it seems like it has a dead battery sometimes. It kinda is slow to turn over, but once it does it starts right up. It's not all the time though. Just random and only when its hot. Sometimes it starts fine when it's hot?

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I have a hunch the XX charging system aint man enough IMO. This is from what I have read and personnel expierance. I am trying something on Sunday to find , if this is true . A case of grabbing the 7 Iron. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
mine makes a sound out the exhaust "the cough"..... it seems to crank fine, but Red n Black has a stage #3 so maybe he's taking in more A/F thus raising compression pressure making the bike harder to start

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Mine just almost sounds like it's not gonna turn over. Then it will and fires up. It just turns over slowly. Kinda like if you had a dead or weak battery. I think a stronger battery will cure my problem.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I have a hunch the XX charging system aint man enough IMO. This is from what I have read and personnel expierance. I am trying something on Sunday to find , if this is true . A case of grabbing the 7 Iron. :D
I remember looking up the specs when I was having trouble with hot starts and seemed adequate. Once I changed the battery it pretty much solved the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Hayden, is your bike acting like my bike was in TN? Cuz I was having the same issues. Problem solved now though....cuz my starter is shot haha.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Yeah pretty much only yours did it when it was cold too. Mine only does it when it's hot and I shut it down on the trail for a few minutes then try to restart. Just seems like it don't have the power to turn the motor over.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine is Fixed! pulled my cam back out and found i pressed the flange on too far not allowing the spacer to spin freely on the cam... and my valves were out a lil bit to so i just fixed the cam assembly and adjusted the valves..... problem solved

1 - 20 of 22 Posts