Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering what at the must haves for a hare scramble? Helmet, chest protector, boots, water camel, anything else? This will be my first time racing and I plan to take it easy. I'm the older guy trying to act young again :).

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I am just wondering what at the must haves for a hare scramble? Helmet, chest protector, boots, water camel, anything else? This will be my first time racing and I plan to take it easy. I'm the older guy trying to act young again :).
Tether Kill Switch, and goggles with tear or roll off system, and probably a place to mount your #. I really have no clue, just trail ride, I'd check the local rules for sure. Good luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
roll offs are a must have, you also need to take a set of spare tires and wheels. A buddy to "pit" for you is a must have also, you will need fuel. as most hare scrambles are two hours or more.(check the rules in the series you are going to run in). If it is going to be a muddy race, then have a spare set of gloves and rolloffs for when you get fuel. Aaaaaaand the most important thing is get in shape, endurance is a necessity...... HAVE FUN

also a set of tie rods already adjusted for each side

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
The series rules will generally dictate what you MUST have. A tethered kill switch is one thing that's usually required in racing. If you have to install a kill switch, remember that our quad requires a Normally Closed (NC) switch. Race length will determine if you'll need to pit for fuel or not.

Best advice: Get in shape and build your endurance. Ride/race at YOUR pace... Do not let faster riders dictate your pace... When you try to race above what your skill level/experience is... that's inviting injuries... Race safe, have fun.

roadkill

·
Registered
101 Posts
very good advice roadkill thats what i would have told him

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Becareful bro. I too was the older one trying to act young again in my first race ever just last week. May 25 to be exact. I jacked myself up pretty good on practice day, the day before the race on the the official race track. Now I have a titainium rod in my leg and it's in a splint for the next 4-5 months. :steamed:

Just becareful.

Shonie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Becareful bro. I too was the older one trying to act young again in my first race ever just last week. May 25 to be exact. I jacked myself up pretty good on practice day, the day before the race on the the official race track. Now I have a titainium rod in my leg and it's in a splint for the next 4-5 months. :steamed:

Just becareful.

Shonie
I read your post. It made me worry a little but I figure I could be crossing the street and get hurt. Get better quick!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I read your post. It made me worry a little but I figure I could be crossing the street and get hurt. Get better quick!
Very true indeed. You never know what's going to happen to you at any time. This accident is not gonna keep me from riding.
Once I heal up, I'm getting right back on!:atv:
Best of luck with your race and have fun!

Shonie

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Not familiar with Hare Scrambles in the US , could you help me out on the type of racing this is.

To me this is a long course enduro ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i race the gncc and manditory things are saftey/riding gear, boots, helmet, long sleev pants and shirt and a tether cord. Things that make it easier camble bak, chest protector, gloves. spar tires and pit crews are things for guys that are doing it alot and run the whole series. if your just going to hit one to see how you like it, just go out and have fun and finish the race. a two hour race in the heat with no breaks will wear you out fast add the heat thats coming and you better be in shape. dont over think it, go out and have fun and dont ride over your ability. after your first race you will have learned lots and will know what you need next time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Baxter It is a race thru whatever terrain that is available. Usually there will be; hill climbs, mudholes, tight woods, off camber, openfields, a motocross section, creek crossings, and anything else they can find to run you thru that will wear you down.
usually two hours plus one lap in length, but different series do it differently.
Here on the east coast the biggest series is the GNCC. It is common to have 30 to 50 quads per class and last I checked they ran about 12 or so classes. laps will usually be between 3 and 15 miles per lap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts