Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
header is cherry red should i worry ?

when i start my exhaust up and just let it sit their @ idol, with in 5 or 10 min the header is cherry red....... idk if this is normal or not

·
Registered
375 Posts
when i start my exhaust up and just let it sit their @ idol, with in 5 or 10 min the header is cherry red....... idk if this is normal or not
Not normal. Get an EFI controller.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It's glowing because it's running too lean, you need a efi controller to richen the mixture. it's like changing the jets on a carburator. if you continue to run with it like that you will damage your engine!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Why would you let your quad idle for 5 to 10 minutes? That's the worst thing for a motor.

Every quad I've ever had, the header would glow red especially if left idling for a couple minutes. These headers are made from really thin metal. You may be lean, but even if you're not, it will still glow somewhat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree, most people don't notice unless it is dark. All try it at night and you may be shocked at how red they get. No wonder we all melt boots and pants.
I also agree it's best not to leave any quad idling too long,

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you let your quad idle for 5 to 10 minutes? That's the worst thing for a motor.

Every quad I've ever had, the header would glow red especially if left idling for a couple minutes. These headers are made from really thin metal. You may be lean, but even if you're not, it will still glow somewhat.

its just somthing iam used to from riding sport bikes, on my 600rr its supposed to idle untill the temp guage displays "99" so i fired up my quad last night to let my dad hear the exhaust and noticed my header was red

·
Registered
333 Posts
I noticed this on mine several months ago. I called my local dealer and they said its because of the titanium content in newer head pipes now and not to worry. I don't know if that's true or not but I'm runnin a map from Dave that is extremely rich and my pipe still glows if it idles too long.

So in my own research several buddies have a variety of different bikes, from stock to built, and every one of the headers glows after extended idling.

So in conclusion, I'm not worried.

·
Registered
551 Posts
U need a porgrammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And as far as Idle for 5 mins thats how U supposed to check the oil pryor to riding!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had 5 quads over the last few years, and every one of them the header glowed red after a little while of idling. Idling a motor should not hurt it any more or less than running it at high RPM. As long as it has oil pressure, you are good!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I had titanium exhaust on my Z06 and it never glowed! I was ripped!:lmao:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was at little sahara last weekend and a friend of mine was also on a stock 700xx both of us had glowing exhausts after riding at night, They would calm down to a dull redish glow after a minute or two of idling. He was running 87 octane gas and i had a mix of 91 and 110, and both our exhausts glowed about the same. I think its partly due to the high performance level of this engine and partly just the thin design.

Take your pickup out on a dark night, let it warm up, then get out on a secluded road, and hammer it. Run it up to 100 mph or so, then hit the brakes, stop, kill the lights, pop the hood, and look. Unless they're covered up by heat sheilds or something your exhaust manifolds will very likely be glowing red.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My apologies for the confusion............I have a 13t front sprocket, but other than that, bone stock. I know I don't need 110 gas but:
1. Honda recomends no less than 91...............so having a bit higher eases my mind when that half a gallon of 87 thats still in the hose from the person in front of me gets mixed in with my 91.
2. At little sahara, it's convienient. You ride up to the pump on your quad, fill up then go pay.
3. Well, I just love that grape soda exhaust smell you get running 110!

My friend uses 87 cause "It didn't hurt my last 4 wheeler." I guess he thinks he's saving a bunch of money on those 3 gallons!

I was meerly noting the difference in gas as it made no difference in the exhaust glowing. A fuel tuner (while a very good idea) may not be the 'fix' for this. My opinion, the fix is either get used to it, or get an exhaust with less iron content.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Stock exhaust glow?

Did anyone else notice their stock exhaust glowing in the dark (red hot), even just from idling? Would exhaust/header wrap be beneficial here?

·
Registered
984 Posts
yep, don't worry it's from the lean fuel settings to pass emissions. Header wrap's only benefit here (there are other benefits for modded engines, but not much for a stock engine) would be to keep your leg cooler, but i would recommend ditching the spark arrester to decrease backpressure if you do it with a stock exhaust. I would also recommend getting an efi controller( PC III/5 or dobeck/clone) first to correct the fuel curve especially if you plan on adding an aftermarket exhaust and air filter ( the big 3) later, you'll need it then anyways.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts