Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I installed 1" header wrap to hopefully keep my leg from cooking. I will get some pics up soon and hopefully a chance to see if it works next weekend.
I ordered the wrap from Jegs.com, a 50ft roll was $20 and $9 for the stainless clamps (not sure if they are worth it, should have just bought regular clamps).

·
Registered
537 Posts
The only problem with header wrap is it tends to accelerate rusting of the header pipe. If you're burning your leg I take it you're not wearing riding boots?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wear tall work boots. I am wondering if the stock can is going to be too restrictive and cause excessive heat to build up in the header, negating any gains in reducing heat.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only problem with header wrap is it tends to accelerate rusting of the header pipe. If you're burning your leg I take it you're not wearing riding boots?

I wouldn't worry about rust. Titanium and good quality stainless don't rust, and for the price of these things no one should be using cheap metal.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I wear tall work boots. I am wondering if the stock can is going to be too restrictive and cause excessive heat to build up in the header, negating any gains in reducing heat.
I have a Ballance slip-on, and a HMF/dobeck mine feels the same as it did. Only time it bothers me is when i'm ridin the boy around the yard and i dont have my ridin boots on.:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Headder wrap is not for protecting your leg (although you can use it for that) it's for purposely holding the heat in your headder.

A hot exhaust flows better. If you can find a way to hold the heat in the exhaust it will flow better and you will get better performance.

Headder wrap and ceramic coatings are all meant for this purpose. By holding in the heat they have the added advantage of not leaking heat in to it's surrounding areas like radiator hoses or your leg.

Linc

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wouldn't worry about rust. Titanium and good quality stainless don't rust, and for the price of these things no one should be using cheap metal.
I've seen so called "good" stainless rust when header wrap was used in drag cars. ATV's are in a far more severe environment when it comes to moisture. I personally would use ceramic coating before I ever would do a header wrap. It's a cleaner look, lasts nearly forever, and far surpasses the insulating value of a header wrap.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Had mine ceramic coated awhile back and have notice a slight heat reduction but haven't tried it with shorts, the only time so far that I've felt some heat is when I'm in a technical ride. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the coating.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

I know it's been awhile since I started this, but today was the first time I've had a chance to ride ( Sad, I know). A test run on a previous night showed the header glowing very brightly (a small gap in the wrap next to the head) and had me concerned at first. This I felt was mostly in part to the stock silencer being so restrictive, so I pulled the spark arrester and it seemed to cool down some. I then drilled two additional rows of holes near the flange on the spark arrester, thru screen and all increasing the total openings by 30% and reinstalled it.
Today there was a noticable difference in the amount of heat given off, but the machine seemed to run hotter as the fan would kick on more often. The temp outside was not much warmer than any other day I've ridden it, so I don't feel that was causing it. My feeling is with an aftermarket slip on this might be worth it, but not the stocker. I can see where the wrap will make it harder to clean and eventually look like crap.

So...I plan on adding a full exhaust system from Alba in the Fall and plan on having that header ceramic coated instead wrapping it.

Nothing Ventured...Nothing Gained... it's always worth a shot.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A glowing red header would mean it's running very lean. Opening up the exhaust would only make it run even leaner without a programmer. If this is still the case I would suggest you figure out why it's so lean before you beat on it, possibly resulting in very severe engine damage.

·
Registered
551 Posts
:stupid:Defintly a programmer, Even b4 an exhaust!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My finger is already on the trigger for a PCV before the end of summer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oooops! I must have left the safety off! Looks like I'll be installing a PCV over the weekend if it gets here in time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hahaha, I love how easy it is to make new purchases these days!!! Only takes a click of a button! :lmao:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts