Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have just heel guards I'm not looking for full nerfs. In another thread a member pointed me towards ims roll for heel guards only. The look awesome and are what I'm looking for but $200 plus you need to use their pegs another $200. Is there a cheaper option? They look top notch and all but $400 really isnt an option.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I didn't think I was going to get a response. Do you think you have to use IMS pegs? I looked at them in dirt wheels on matlocks xx and I don't remember if they bolted to the peg or not. If they do they are probably support if not I could probably run stockers with a gap between the peg and guard. Still 200 bones is a lot for just heel guards

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Why don't you want full nerfs?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I ride mostly in woods where we have been making our own trails and it's really tight. There are a ton of downed limbs and stumps to get hung on. Plus just the extra weight and money I should save with just a decent set of heel guards. Ive heard one of the only real benefits of nerfs is so other quads wheels won't get tied up with yours and since I don't race that shouldn't be an issue. Is there any other real reasons to go with nerfs over just guards?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Plus alot of people don't like the look of them either

I looked and could not find any for our bike. Proarmor makes some for the 450/400 but I don't think they fit ours

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Well I ride mostly in woods where we have been making our own trails and it's really tight. There are a ton of downed limbs and stumps to get hung on. Plus just the extra weight and money I should save with just a decent set of heel guards. Ive heard one of the only real benefits of nerfs is so other quads wheels won't get tied up with yours and since I don't race that shouldn't be an issue. Is there any other real reasons to go with nerfs over just guards?

I will never ride with out mine. I've wrecked because my foot slid off infront of my peg. If I had nerf bars when it happened - that wouldn't have happened. They're like floorboards. I honestly dont see how anyone rides with out them, I think they should come factory. Extra weight? We're already pigs in the trees. What do they weigh? 10lbs?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I use to think they were pointless and ugly... now I would never have a quad with out them...as for the woods riding we do the same here and I have never been caught up on them but if I was all I can say is thank god cause they stopped whatever would of went into my foot/leg or kept me from feeding my leg to the tire...haha I did this once was glad no one saw :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
My tirez are hungry for my feetz!

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I also used to think that since I don't race, I didn't need nerfs. But now, I wouldn't ride any quad anywhere without them. The thing is... they show their true worth when you need them... and that's the time when you least expect to need them.
You might want to look at PRM nerfs... @ $249.95 with your choice of strap colors. With the option to have them powder coated in several colors for another $60.00
Fitment is quite good and are not as bulky as other designs. Your stock pegs fit inside their peg (attached to nerfs) and this makes your pegs wider and longer. The attached heel guards mount right up to stock mounts. Check the link below...
http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=1874&from=115

roadkill

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see where you guys are coming from and was considering The cheap alba's before I shattered the stock heel guard and bent the skinny mounting bracket, but why does somebody like mattock run just guards? And why do most other quads have the option? I've ridden with nerfs before, it wasn't my quad it was my brothers that I "borrowed" for six months and never saw a huge benefit. I am just looking for a better than stock replacement. Haha and hey ever pound counts win you put this hog on a diet jk. The weight thing isn't really a big deal to me just extra.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roadkill,
Those actually do not look bad. Are there any pictures of these installed? Btw the only colors for atv/motorcycles are black and ugly!

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm with Jake, I have never wanted nerfs because I have never said to myself if I wish I had nerfs now(maybe I need to ride harder). I grew up riding dirt bikes, no where to put nerfs on a dirtbike. But I am the first to admit I am a little different. No nerfs on my quad, I have twist throttle which is poo poo'ed by many, and you will never catch me on a street bike with floorboards.

I guess it is to each his own.

Unfortunately I am no help in your search for heel guards.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Roadkill,
Those actually do not look bad. Are there any pictures of these installed? Btw the only colors for atv/motorcycles are black and ugly!
There are 7 colors listed for the powder coating plus the plain aluminum... and 4 colors for the netting. I don't have pics because I chose to get their side bars in black powder coating.
http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=1858&from=115
There is only ONE thing that took a bit of getting used to with the side bars... you get a bit of a motor echo off them at certain rpm's and it can kinda sound like another quad behind you. Don't hear it anymore since I got my Barker exhaust.

roadkill

·
Registered
671 Posts
but why does somebody like mattock run just guards?
Because he has skills, he doesn't crash! Actually go to a desert race, no one runs them. Alot of races I am the only one that has them. I actually was going to remove mine a few years ago, just run pegs and heel guards. Around that same time while racing the rear of the quad kicked so bad it threw me off the side of the quad, still held on to the handlebars. Landed on the nerf bar. If it wasn't for the nerf it would have been ugly. After that, I decided I would pretty much always run nerfs.

I am sure if you get a little creative you could mount the Roll heel guards to your stock pegs. They do bolt to the Roll pegs. May have to drill some holes in you stock pegs and use some type of spacers. Best bet would be to just save up and by the Roll pegs and guards, once you run the pegs you will never want to go back to a stock peg again!

Doug

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
well I love my stock heel guards would NEVER change them...EVER! lol my reason is they are curved since they are plastice and my boot locks in PERFECT when jumping or whoops...actually some puddles too any hoo the metal ones are straight and I dont like them.. just my thoughts :)
Not all metal ones are straight. I have the Pro Armor Fat Peg ones and they have a perfect indent for my boot to lock into.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
As of now I can't find any other make of heelgaurds but one email seemed promising . There building some new things for other quads and said " these "MIGHT" be one of them.

As for the nerf argument . Mine on the 450r broke my collarbone but would never consider riding without them. Early days on 3 wheels.
And for tree dodging they stop the trees from hitting the rear wheels. Surprising how fast you , stop and turn 180 degrees when this happens. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts