Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, the manual says take the nut off the right side to adjust the chain while holding the left bolt head with a wrench..I have a 3 inch bar and a big wrench on the nut and it really doesnt want to adjust. I am trying to turn the nut left.....righty tighty lefty loosey right!?) I just want to make sure before I really put torque on it.

ps I started trying to turn the nut head first and semi stripped the head...not too bad....I GUESS YOU HAVE TO START BY LOOSENING THE NUT? Thanks......:steamed:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Always start with the nut when you can, that way you don't have to turn the bolt. Yes the nut is right handed threads and CCW is correct for loosening it, left as you are facing the nut. Try shocking the bolt with a hammer. If you don't have an impact, sometimes hitting a wrench or socket and break over with a hammer can do a lot more than a cheater. Just make sure you have a quality wrench or socket on the nut or it will round.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
hey guys, the manual says take the nut off the right side to adjust the chain while holding the left bolt head with a wrench.:steamed:
You just have to get it loose, you dont need the nut all the way off. And you hold the bolt just to keep it from slipping. Maybe you knew this, just wanted to clarify, nut dont need to be removed!

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
loosen by the nut and torque by the bolt. That was how I learnt.

As for the chain adjuster , Lefthand up , right hand down. They are fairly tight from the factory.
17mm spanner in the left and 24mm in the right.simples.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it. I just wanted to make sure. I haven't had a bolt that tight since I used work on an old camaro in college. I tried shocking it and it would not budge. Heated it up and put a 3' bar on it and batta-bing it popped loose. Thanks guys,

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Good deal, are you just adjusting chain slack or did you drop the 13 tooth sprocket on the front?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
13 tooth......and yes it is as good as everyone says. There's no room for 80mph on our tight woods trails around here. The big three is next, but I am going to wait a while and enjoy the xx how it runs now.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Yes IDK why the TRX700 didn't come stock with a 13. They say once you go big 3 you will go back to the 14 or add a 15, with modified case saver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts