Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched everywhere for an answer to this question. I know I read it somewhere on how to remove the tight bolts on the front bumper. I could not find a thread on this. Two are stripped now. I sprayed them and still could not loosen them up. What is the easyest way to get them off?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Front Bar

Mate, I presume you mean the bolt heads are rounded and the threads are ok, the front bumbers are worth nothing, get the angle grinder out cut the bolt heads off, then get some vice grips and get the threaded end out. I suppose you could stuff around with easy outs but just hack the bar up and throw it away.

Man sorry if this sounds over the top but the bars are worthless. I dont mean to be a smart arse but make sure your undoing them the right way. Mine came straight out. Sounds like Honda might have put some lock tight on em.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Have you tried shocking them with a flat punch and hammer? I would have thought that those bolts would have twisted off before the head rounded off.

Depending on the bumper you have, it may be easier to center punch the bolt head and drill the head off rather than grind it. Just depends on how recessed they are. I would definitely try shocking them first, maybe a good 6 point socket on an impact would do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just put on a PRM desert II bumper and my stock bolts came out easy. However, my buddy has an XX and his did not come out. He drilled them out. That's what I would suggest.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Boys my way is aggresive but you get the bar off in 5min flat, this way is good if you dont care about the stock bar.

My mate hit a tree bent two bolts and the mounting tabs. He stuffed around for hours trying to save the bar, while his nice new Moto Active bar was there smilling at him. He admitted defeat gave the job to me. I had his bar fitted in less than 15min. I got to admit the stock bar was in 4 peaces when I finished.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the idea's. I purchased some bolt extrator sockets today. I will give that a try before I try and destroy the front bumper. I do own a sawall. I needed a push to not save the old cheap bumper. I realize that sometimes you have to destroy it to improve it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
did u heat up the frame. thats the first thing u shoulda tried

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
did u heat up the frame. thats the first thing u shoulda tried
I was trying to get the caliper pins out of my rear disc brakes on my 2001 Chevy Z71 the other day. A poor attempt at rear discs by GM in my opinion. Anyways had them in the vice trying to get them out and my propane torch was out. Mechanic friend brought his by and said, "If you don't hold it right it will let you know." Asked him what he meant and he said it would be obvious. Used it for a couple minutes then WOOSH, like a hand explosion to the 27th power. I had him hold it right on the next one and it did the same thing to him, pretty exciting.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
lmaoooooo .... commeon i gota keep qiuet so my ma n pa dont wake up..... my cam chain poped off... no damage

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was afraid to heat up the frame becuase I was going to save the cheep front bumper. Now it does not matter. Weather is super bad right now to try it at this time. I need to buy more propane to heat the garage first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.