1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
574 Posts
I found a marine one for less than $20. I will see if I can find the link.Works normally open or normally closed. No they're not all the same the XX needs a normally closed switch. No you don't have to wear it all the time just loop the tether around the handlebar.

Found it.

http://www.offshorewake.com/store/Seachoice-38/UNIV.KILL-SWITCH-WTETHER

The only thing is you need something to mount it to. Like a aluminum plate mounted to the handlebar/clamp.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If I get a chance this week I will post up pic's of where I tapped into the circut and my install.

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
You need to make sure this is a normally closed switch. Which is not the most common type. When I was looking for mine I seem to remember some switches requiring an adapter (additional cost) to use with a normally closed circut.
He is absolutely correct. The normally closed switch is easier to connect up, you can tie it right into your kill switch wire, which is what I did.
Nikki, you do not have to wear it all the time, just when you race. It is just for falling off, so your quad stops sooner than later, however it isn't a bad idea to wear it all the time. Once you install it, you can't really take it off. If you need help finding one, I got mine thru my shop, and it said right on the package that it was for a 700xx (along with a 400ex), just let me know, and I will give them a call and see how much it is. I get 30-40% off usually. It was a pain to install because I was in a hurry and sometimes have zero patience, but it can be easily installed in 20-30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
proarmor $30.95

·
Registered
103 Posts
i want to know how to fit the open circit type. closed when t bart removed.
the oposite to how the stock trx700 one works

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think the Pro Armor is normally open and he is correct on needing the normally closed. You will fry your stator after 8-10 pulls of the kill switch.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Damn internet, double posting.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
671 Posts
I bought a Pro Armour a few weeks ago as I needed it for a race, paid right around $30 for it. Seems like a quality switch. It is a normally open switch though, and I do not remember seeing anything in the instuctions to make it normally closed. I have not looked at a wiring diagram for the 700XX yet, but I would think the engine stop button on the handle bars works like any other quad. When in the run position, it is open, when closed, it shuts the engine off. Should be able to wire the Pro Armour switch to that and the normally open switch should work just fine.

I used the switch on my 450R. It has the key removed so I bought a extra key switch so I could cut the connector off of. Wired the switch to the connector, that way I can just unplug the connector when I want to take the switch off. (I only need it for one series I race in, couple of times a year.) Other then that, I will never use it, so why leave it on the quad.

I would think if you can wire the switch into the engine stop button, you could put some type of connector on the wire to the switch and then just unplug it when you want to take it off. Of course, that will only work for a normally open switch, a closed would have to have the wires you disconnect reconnected. Hope that makes sense!

Doug

·
Registered
574 Posts
I bought a Pro Armour a few weeks ago as I needed it for a race, paid right around $30 for it. Seems like a quality switch. It is a normally open switch though, and I do not remember seeing anything in the instuctions to make it normally closed. I have not looked at a wiring diagram for the 700XX yet, but I would think the engine stop button on the handle bars works like any other quad. When in the run position, it is open, when closed, it shuts the engine off. Should be able to wire the Pro Armour switch to that and the normally open switch should work just fine.

I used the switch on my 450R. It has the key removed so I bought a extra key switch so I could cut the connector off of. Wired the switch to the connector, that way I can just unplug the connector when I want to take the switch off. (I only need it for one series I race in, couple of times a year.) Other then that, I will never use it, so why leave it on the quad.

I would think if you can wire the switch into the engine stop button, you could put some type of connector on the wire to the switch and then just unplug it when you want to take it off. Of course, that will only work for a normally open switch, a closed would have to have the wires you disconnect reconnected. Hope that makes sense!

Doug
Incorrect the factory kill switch is normally closed.

I am not sure why Honda did it this way on this quad, possibly preventing a spike to the ECM. I am thinking they had a good reason for wiring the switch that way.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Incorrect the factory kill switch is normally closed.

I am not sure why Honda did it this way on this quad, possibly preventing a spike to the ECM. I am thinking they had a good reason for wiring the switch that way.
Guess that is what I get for thinking, huh? I am sure Honda has a good reason for doing it that way. Now I have no idea where to hook a normally open kill switch to on the 700XX. I would have to look at the wiring diagram and I currently do not have my service manual available, will be awhile before I get it back. Oh well, good thing I have no plans to install a kill switch on my 700XX anyway!

Doug

·
Registered
291 Posts
OK so will the Pro Armor switch work on 700xx or not?
From reading this thread the answer is no. Pro Armor and Pro Design are normally open.

Need a gunnar, Pingel, maier or K&S normally closed.

I had bought a Pro Armor as well. Guess I get to sell it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The standard normally open one won't if you wire it into the factory kill switch harness. There may be a way to use it, but without knowing why Honda went with a normally closed switch you might be risking damaging your machine. When I was looking for my switch I seem to recall a Pro Armor switch that was listed as compatble with the XX. But it was like $55. I also think it said something about an additional wiring kit. My guess is that might be a relay.

Thats why I went with the inexpensive marine switch, and I am a cheap bastard.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.