Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I acquired a small hole in my outer boot. Has anyone else had the pleasure of replacing these before? I was hoping to just be able to replace the outer boot but it is looking more and more like I have to remove the whole shaft to get the outer boot on. Anyone have any tips or tricks for me?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
There may be an thread in the how to section, I remember Scuzz changing some out but not sure if he done the how-to.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had to replace mine first ride. If it is the outer you don't have to remove the axle, just the hub. I held my axle with vice grips with a piece of leather wrapped around the axle then hit the outer joint with a Brass hammer. You shouldn't have to hit it very hard it is only held on with a snap ring. It goes together pretty much the same way. Just a tap with a Brass hammer. If you force it you will damage the axle. Sometimes you have to help the snap ring into the joint with a small screwdriver. It is pretty much the same as a car CV joint/boot replacement. Don't even think about one of those quick spilt boots they do not work.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks. The service manual made it sound like the inner one is the only one you could get to come off with a snap ring. I will give it a try tomorrow

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is tricky getting the snap ring back into place when putting it back together. I've gotten it on quickly one time and the other time I thought my dad was going to throw the joint through the barn window.:beat:

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. I used the vise grip/brass hammer method and it worked like a charm. I had ordered a boot off of eBay but after receiving it and comparing it's thickness to the oem one I ordered a oem one. I've been taking pictures and will post a how to when I'm done with it all. Thank you to everyone for the help. That little trick was way easier than removing the whole shaft

1 - 7 of 7 Posts