Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this morning one of my buddies wanted me to start it up so he could hear it, i have the HMF slip on and the HMF optimizer, but it start up and ran just fine and then this afternoon we got back from work and i unloaded it so he could give it a test drive well i got on it to start it and all it would do is crank and nothing else. its gettin both spark and fuel! so what could it be? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Check your thumb switch make sure its in the run position dont know if it will or wont crank over with it in the off i just know it wont run

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
How have you confirmed its getting spark and fuel?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Make sure your gas tank is not empty and the petcock is ON. Not saying you didn't check it, just basic trouble shooting. Be sure the Plug wire is properly connected to the spark plug. Another thing, I was riding and a tree branch snapped the tabs on a fuel shut off switch in the front of the quad. Its there in case you flip the atv upside down. I had to zip tie it upright. Its was swinging from the wire in front of the radiator when it happened to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smo0oth1, i took the plug out and held it up against the motor, and you can smell the fuel in the pipe..
xx700xx, its got over half of a tank and i even tried it on reserve

·
Registered
574 Posts
Try a shot of carb spray in the intake while cranking, to see if it farts. I know you said you saw spark but a new plug is cheap, I have seen plugs that fire when tested, but won't under compression. What is your battery voltage? Low battery voltage will cause a crank but no start on any fuel injected engine. Lastly, I would try it with the fuel optimizer disconnected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the new E3 plug in it, its not that old.. and the battery is fine and I have already tried disconnecting the optimizer... Im takin the pipe and optimizer off tomorrow and puttin it back to stock and takin it to my local Honda shop thursday.. Still have 6 months of warranty left so why not use it!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
What ever came of this starting problem? I have the same issue, started it up, drove it on the back of the truck, when I went to unload, it would not fire. I am bone stock and have only run about 4 tanks of fuel through it since new. I didn`t pull the plug out yet. I was hoping you had the issue resolved and could save me the trouble of tearing it all apart trying to track down the problem. It REALLY sucks when you get to your riding area and your basicly new quad won`t start. So much for Honda reliability.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Are your idiot lights on or off. Happened to me once where my choke idiot light was on and found my air breather sensor inside the air box got disconnected once reconnected the baby started, if your spark is blue and smell gas then it has to be either your optimizer or a loose cable. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
it prob ur plug....i know u said it worked but the spark might not be good and strong.... id had this prob with nm recon many times ever since they started to put that ethonl crap in the gas.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I pulled the plug and it was black, odd considering it`s bone stock and they are supposed to be lean when stock. I put a new plug in and now I`m waiting for the battery to charge so I can give it a try. I hope it works

·
Registered
187 Posts
All good, New plug did the trick. Thanks everyone for the tips. I did plan on starting by pulling the plug to check for spark but It was nice to diagnose the problem before tearing into it. No, not burning any oil, I also check it before every ride.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.