Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

HID Headlight Install!!! (Your next mod!)

78K views 191 replies 70 participants last post by  Luecker 
#1 · (Edited)
HID Headlight Install!!! (Your next mod!) 56K Death!!!!

So I was looking around on that "auction site" and found an H6M HID kit... had to try it out. $80 and 5 days later... it arrived!

Here's the pics. Scuzz (gary) was video confrenced with me while I did the install but I'll tell you how to do this now and i'll probably update this in the future.

Basically you have to take off everything to get to the headlight. It's all 5mm hex and 10mm bolts.

Once you get the headlight, then you can start this EASY process.

Thing to remember...
There are three wires going into the headlamp bulb...
Green - Ground
Blue - High Beam
White - Low Beam

You'll see here in the pictures how I did everything...

Here you see the three wire plug that the headlight harness plugs into.

This is the back of the head lamp with the rubber protective coating pulled back. Remember the wire colors?

This is what it looks like with the HID bulbs in place. To make this work with the black protective covers, I cut these red/blue wires and cut the original headlight harness to get the black cups out so that I could reuse them with the HIDs. You'll see in the next pictures how I did that.

This harness pretty much gets trashed. Gary looked up a new one at $43 so if you ever plan to go back to stock, that's how much it will cost. You'll need the plug from the other end of it and the black protective cups.

Here's one cup with the wires through it. I used WD40 (10001 uses) sprayed on the wire to help get them in the tiny little hole.

This is about where I cut my wires. I wanted to make sure that I could get the splice back in the cup.

Here are both cups finished and ready to go back on. If you see the white wire in the middle thats just to fill the hole, its not connected to anything since you only have 2 wires now instead of 3.

The best way, and the way I should have done this was to solder it back together and then use heatshrink. While in the middle of the install I realized my soldering iron tip could not be found, I just went ahead and used butt connectors. My bad.

And here is the finished product for the headlight housing. The rest of the stuff is plug and play. I kinda got carried away and forgot to take pics of the rest of the stuff. There is one more part to this that I didn't photograph but I can next time (soon) I take the front plastics off and thats the plug that plugs into the factory harness.

When you get the lights, and plug everything in, there will be a black and red (positive and negative) left over. These will be connected to the rest of the headlight harness. I cut the 3 wire plug off the harness with about 2-3" of wire left. If you take all the plastic off of it, you'll see how the factory spliced the left/right side lights together in this. All you need is the plug. I joined the blue and white wires together, since I didn't want my light to go off if I hit the High or Low switch even though it was on. And then made my connections as follows:

Black - Green
Red - Blue/White

Here is where I put my ballast. These were the slim ballast and they fit right on top of that heat sink that sits in the front of the quad under the grill. I then zip tied the secondary thing (ballast?) to the frame rails as you can see in the following picture.

And here they are, in all their glory... they LIGHT UP a house thats 300 feet away. I had NO IDEA these things would be THIS bright. It's like 2 - 1 million candlewatt powered spot lights on the front of this quad... They're SICK! If you ride at night, these are a MUST!

See less See more
#7 ·
How do you think they will stand up to all the vibration, mud, and water we subject ATV's to? Not necessarily the bulbs since they are sealed, but the ballasts and igniter?

#8 ·
Judging from this past weekends ride, as long as you have good connections, you're not going to have any problems. I had the ballasts and ignitors under water several times with out any issue at all. I'd even clean the headlamp so everyone could see them :D Not that it needed cleaned though lol

#9 ·
Got 'em on the way. Gonna see how the 8000K look being that we don't do much night riding. Looking forward to the cool blue glow...

#10 ·
Rock on!

You're gonna love them. Make sure when you connect the two lights together to the plug that you make GOOD connections - mine seem to have a loose one and my left headlight sometimes turns off. Gonna redo it when i replace my stem.

#11 ·
Got 'em hooked up, turned power on, flipped the switch...they're on, then......POP!! F%$#!! What happened?! Checked the bulbs (look okay). Check voltage (none at the new plugs). Check voltage at the stock plug (nothing). Fuses... Where the hell are the FUSES?!

Just an FYI for others: I had to upgrade my 10Amp to a 15Amp for the additional draw from the HIDs.

Problem solved...crisis averted....Carry on Pvt. Pyle

Stock Lights:

New HID 8000K:

#12 ·
Got 'em hooked up, turned power on, flipped the switch...they're on, then......POP!! F%$#!! What happened?! Checked the bulbs (look okay). Check voltage (none at the new plugs). Check voltage at the stock plug (nothing). Fuses... Where the hell are the FUSES?!

Just an FYI for others: I had to upgrade my 10Amp to a 15Amp for the additional draw from the HIDs.

Problem solved...crisis averted....Carry on Pvt. Pyle

Yep! I had the same thing happen to mine! They look awesome, don't they?! Take it out in the street and see how far you can see, you might want to aim your headlight down a little bit, I did.

Yep, fuses are next to the battery under the seat and under the rubber cover thingy

#14 ·
I really like the looks of the HID setup...I don't do a lot of riding at night, but I'm going to do the swap anyways...Thanks for the guide, tips, and the link to the stuff on ebay!

#16 ·
H6M refers to the base of the bulb, Its a description of what housing it fits in. Fooleo bulb is a H6M also. The 8K is the bulb color. The higher the number the less usable light the bulb puts out. A 4K bulb is the brightest and most natural color, 8k bulbs have a blue tint with less visibility and a 10k would be purple in color and wreck you into a tree when night riding from low illumination.

#18 ·
I think the perfect bulb is a 6k, but thats just me. I like BARELY blue tint, looks very high end. If the 4300k is brighter than the 6k... i'm glad I got 6k, cause these things are retarded bright! I'm hoping to have night ride video soon!

#20 ·
The one that blows lol

its only one fuse thats a 10, i put a 15 in mine i think. I forget which one it is.

#22 ·
I may be wrong, but those on the side are spares. At least mine were. There's only 3 or 4 fuses, only one of which is the 10amp. Switch it with the spare 15 and you're golden.

#24 ·
Piece of cake. I HIGHLY recommend soldering them though. I used butt connectors and sometimes they flicker.

#25 ·
did you go with the bi-zenon bulb so you still have hi and lo beams or just single stage?

#27 ·
Cool i think thas the way to go there bright enough as is dont need hi and lo really

#29 ·
yes those are what i have in my truck and thy work very well also.

#36 ·
btw, shipping was insanely fast with the seller mentioned earlier. ordered it the evening of the 7th, and it shipped the morning of the 8th. unfortunately, i dont think it will be here in time for me to install it this weekend since its already friday, unless venus, the moon, and the postman all line up perfectly to deliver it tomorrow... so ill have to wait until next weekend to get them installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.