Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have been thinking about getting a high compression piston for my xx and I wanted to know if it did that, would I have to have the cylinder bored or if I could just re-hone the cylinder? also which piston should I get that would still let me run on the 91 octain gas that i can get here?

·
Registered
258 Posts
just have it deglazed and install and enjoy dont ask me about deglazing i was gonna let my honda shop do it lol

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Why do you want a high comp. piston? Going up from 10 to 11 aint gonna give you but maybe 1hp. Not really worth the money unless your piston is shot an you gotta buy one anyway.

·
Registered
201 Posts
1 full point of compression is very noticeable power difference seat of the pants.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Does the xx cylinder have a nikasil coating? if yes then you cannot hone, just use a scotch brite metal pad at 45 degree angle if not then yes you can hone, but it is not always necessary. You can go up to 11.5:1 and still use pump gas, it depends on if it's deck corrected or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
which would work the best to deglaze the cylinder for my new pistons and rings to seat properly?
Honing it with a strong cross-hatch is what you want to do to get the new ring set seated.
If you hear pinging at a steady throttle speed you will need at least a octane booster, pinging typically doesn't happen on acceleration only under loads at constant speeds. Good luck with it and YES you will notice a power increase from higher cylinder pressure !! (Pressure is Power)

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
If you do not have any scratches or gouges in the cylinder then you may not have to have it honed. If you can still see the cross hatches in the cylinder and can take your thumbnail and it not catch on any gouges on the cylinder wall then you should be good. Just slap the new piston in and break it in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys. I have now also been thinking about doing new cams along with the new piston while i have the engine apart would the hot cams stage 2 cams work good with the higher compression piston? and what else will I need to get if i do get the new cams?

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
If you are going the hot cam route then go stage three. It's completely drop in. The web 290 is even better but you need heavier springs and hardened rockers

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
was talking to my uncle about doing a high compression piston on my 700 and he told me to wait to do it until i have to bore the cylinder and then do the hc piston so will the stage 3 hot cams work with the stock engine and then i could do the big three along with them?

·
Registered
258 Posts
yes it will work with a stock motor im fixing to put one in myself

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok thanks I will look at the hotcams then and then look at a programer and a slip on muffler to go along with it all. thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts