Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I got a really great deal on the HMF Performance series. Full Exhaust System, black can, black vector end cap, with the spare brushed turn down end cap, I will probably never use. For $390 shipped! Here's a picture of the tool's I needed to remove old exhaust. I did have to get a 3/8" swivel to remove the one header bolt. And a 7/16" socket to re-install clamp, and muffler mount bolt.

Bike with old exhaust still on. just seat removed.

1st removed side cover with 5 mm alen wrench.

Then removed heel guard. using same allen wrench and a 10mm socket.

Now that theres plenty of access, I removed the clamp that hold's the muffler and header pipe together. Then remove the 2 mounting bolts. So this picture is of exhaust removed.

Next remove header pipe with the 12mm socket, remove the 2 bolts.

Here's a side by side comparison of old and new exhaust before install.

Next install new header, slide new clamp over pipe. And slide muffler onto header pipe. Nice and tight fit, may need a perswader tool or a BFH. Then add new top bolt and washer's and reuse old bottom bolt. Then tighten the T-bolt clamp to secure the muffler to the header pipe. And make sure all bolts are tight.

This is a close up of mounting bolts, note there's no slide over clamp style like some other pipes. Mounts just like OEM.

This is showing clearance of the header pipe.

Picture of new Black Vector end cap.

Spark arrestor screen installed, looks backwards with curve pointing out. But I called and was told the bow goes out.

Now its laptop time. I went with the map from Power Commander Web Site. 16-004-009 HMF full exhaust Stock air filter Air box lid removed.

And the test ride was amazing! I wanted to show the picture of the header after I knocked the new off of it.

I know this isn't the best howto. And this is a easy upgrade. I just wanted to post some pictures of my install. So far I'm really pleased with the purchase. And I should get a video up soon with some sound!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
looks great!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you notice your leg getting burnt the stock heat shield can be put on. The HMF header has bends that are close enough to stock that it will fit.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you notice your leg getting burnt the stock heat shield can be put on. The HMF header has bends that are close enough to stock that it will fit.
Yes I noticed it will fit, and have it set aside. I need to find some nice new stainless clamps. The HMF pipe is a little larger especially after the 1st bend off the header. And even if they did fit I couldn't put them old clamps on the new header, lol. Any idea where I could get the larger clamps?

And I see in your signature 13t, are you really still running the 13t sprocket? If so do you like it for slow technical stuff or find yourself just using 2nd-5th?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good! How does it run now?
Seams to run great. So far I just did a short ride around the neighborhood, to get a plug check. Will be taking it out Saturday, for a bit of a test. Friend of mine just got a 2012 Can-am 1000X xc, and he's talking smack. He has a place we can ride around 30-40 acres. March 9th I will be down in West Virginia. I'll bet it will sound amazing echoing through the mountains! I cant wait, and I have the maps and power commander program on a thumb drive. While in WV. I will probably do a few runs, and then load the map you sent me. Just looking at the #'s they are a lot different, but I don't really know what I'm looking at!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I noticed it will fit, and have it set aside. I need to find some nice new stainless clamps. The HMF pipe is a little larger especially after the 1st bend off the header. And even if they did fit I couldn't put them old clamps on the new header, lol. Any idea where I could get the larger clamps?
Now that I looked at the clamps I feel stupid. I thought it was a 1 piece deal. All I have to do is replace the clamps, and reuse the mounts. And as I looked further into it, I "think" only the one gold shield will fit. Hard to tell from your avatar, but will the 2nd black piece of shield fit to? Seams like the bend is off to me, but perfect for the gold piece.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes the black piece will fit, it may not be the best fit ever but it will. And about the 13t, it is because I ride mostly very tight trails but if your currently running the 13 you may want to try the 14 and see if you like it better.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did have the 13t, but put the OEM 14t back on during exhaust install. I may take the 13t with me, when I go to W.V. to ride as well. It seams to pull really well thou, in fact will take off in 2nd on flat ground with little to no throttle.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
M quick it looks really nice.
Thanks, it sounds good too! Have yet to be able to really test ride it to see difference. Rode a bit around the house, and it feels pretty strong. I went out yesterday, but it was really flooded and no where to get any speed up. I will find out next weekend in WV.:yay:

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the black piece will fit, it may not be the best fit ever but it will. And about the 13t, it is because I ride mostly very tight trails but if your currently running the 13 you may want to try the 14 and see if you like it better.

I put the heat sheild on, no pictures of it yet. Big 3 or not the 14t seamed fine in the city, but it a worth a fluck in the hills of WV. The 13t is going back on and staying on. Really need the 13t for climbing and creeking.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm going to be trying my 14t again after i've had the 13t on for 3 years. I might be back on the 13T after one ride. We'll see lol.

As far as exhaust... do you think you're leaving power on the table over going to the HMF vs. barkers of curtis sparks?

You have to wonder if the price you paid vs. the others is worth the difference in money (almost double)

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to be trying my 14t again after i've had the 13t on for 3 years. I might be back on the 13T after one ride. We'll see lol.

As far as exhaust... do you think you're leaving power on the table over going to the HMF vs. barkers of curtis sparks?

You have to wonder if the price you paid vs. the others is worth the difference in money (almost double)

I could not hang with the 14t, even with the big 3. The type riding I do I need the low end. Saves on feathering the clutch big time. The 13t will just jug down low.

As far as leaving power IDK, I have not rode the other's but the HMF dyno sheets are about the same par as the other's I have seen. I cant believe the power they show with the slip on system!

http://hmfracing.com/files/exhausts/resources/honda700xxdyno.jpg

And it was a good price but not near 1/2? Curtis Sparks is $529. And barkers from EHS is only $489.00 I think I paid like $390.00, but the setup I received list for $540.95 currently at HMF.

So what I'm trying to say is Ebay can be your friend!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I get dealer cost so a new full HMF system is 389, FMF 489... they dont carry barkers or curtis sparks but I would imagine them being $489ish.

Do you have a link for the barkers @ $489?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Wow. Well that settles that. LoL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts