Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting the hmf competiton exhaust, does it matter if I use an fmf programmer?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'm going to be getting the hmf competiton exhaust, does it matter if I use an fmf programmer?
I would like to know how you like the HMF setup... are you going w/ a full or slip on?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to go with a full but just can't afford it so slip on it is.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would highly consider the PCV over the dobeck controller. I had a lot of problems with my fmf(dobeck) programmer. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hmf

I have the HMF full Bill Ballance system and it is very offensive and anti social period. I like it loud and this system delivers. I run the HMF controller and have had no problems with it.

Rememper if you buy a Commander, its just not about downloading maps and then go riding you still need to dyno the quad to get the most out of it

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of problems?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Fouled spark plugs, back firing, blue flames out of exhaust, and trouble starting up quad. I did different settings but none seemed to work. Im just sharing my experience and not saying they are not any good. Switched to the PCV and none of these problems occurred ever again. In my opinion the dobeck controllers seem cheap compared to the PCV. If you have the extra bucks I would save myself the troubles and get the PCV from the start. I wish I had done that from the beginning.

·
Registered
446 Posts
not to downplay chubby's experience but if your not planning on modding the shit out of your bike (getting into the motor) your fine with the dobek, buy it from ehs so eric can help you with it and you'll be golden. my only issues were user related but were easily fixed once I figured out how to read the directions lol...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not to downplay chubby's experience but if your not planning on modding the shit out of your bike (getting into the motor) your fine with the dobek, buy it from ehs so eric can help you with it and you'll be golden. my only issues were user related but were easily fixed once I figured out how to read the directions lol...
Well looks like I will be ordering one from eric. Hopefully no troubles. Thanks for you the advice.

·
Registered
528 Posts
ill be getting mine from ehs and heres why, i have a stage 1 cam, 11:1 piston and am going to order big gun evo exhaust, by going through him, he can load the settings for those mods into it and i can fine tune it on the dyno when it gets here(fine tune for safety of the engine not optimum power) but if you talk with him he can put the programmer within range for your mods and you can tune it from there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds great. I was also thinking of getting a big gun evo exhaust because of the price, but now leaning towards the hmf competition because of the three inserts for sounds.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wasn't trying to bash on the dobeck programmers. I was just sharing my experience. Thanks for the link boost

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
i dont mind people with other opinions and i hope people do do there homework, my controllers fit very very well with people wanting to be able to plug something in and not frog with it. I think a lot of other companies controllers (dobeck style) dont work worth a poop either and that is why they have gotten labeled like they are. I have had a lot of instances here that people come in with a pc3 with a map from there exhaust company that was so far off it made the bad dobeck look even good. so there is things on both sides. I have even tested it on a bunch of bikes my pre built map against a pc3 with there "specific map" and my controllers were a far superior tune and more hp. I have never said if you are planning on building a large build the pc3 may not be a better choice. But you get into the same side of the boat there if you deviate from what the map was designed for you need to go to a dyno and get it retuned same thing with my controllers except that the big limiting factor is im the only one that can retune it so that part does suck yes. Im working with dobeck on a new style that has an infared port where hopefully i can make a website and people can download maps into there iphone and send them directly to the tuner but thats a ways down the road. Also the new controllers can pull fuel as well and we are looking into timing options as well.

for page 4 if you call those things tuned with the pc3 also you might as well stick your head in the sand because even the pc graphs are way off i guarantee my controller will be way closer than that. And no im not trying to knock dl im sure he has learned a lot since he put that up in 2008

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I suggest you guys do your homework before you waste your money on a dobeck. Make sure you at least read page 4.

http://www.moddedraptor.com/community/dyno-tuning/1594-powercommander-vs-dobeck.html
Here's the quote from the page:

Power Commander III

The POWER COMMANDER III USB is a product of DYNOJET, a large company mainly known for its dynamometers.... they also make and supply a wide variety of other products for consumer use.

The PC3 as we like to call them is far superior to the other fuel controllers for the following reasons:

GREAT QUALITY, SIMPLE INSTALLATION WITH GREAT TECH SUPPORT WHEN NEEDED!!!

It allows the user to ADD or SUBTRACT fuel from the vehicles stock fuel map.

It uses a TPS sensor to monitor throttle input.

It has the ability to adjust fuel requirements on very small increments down to 100 rpm per section and also on a large scale with the three face buttons.

It has the ability to adjust fuel requirements for each throttle position, 0% 2%,5% 10% 20% 40% 50% and so on....NOT JUST WIDE OPEN.....especially important when adding a big cam. These can also be switched to advances settings for even smaller adjustments.

It has endless adjustability....enough to max out a stock injector.

It uses a feature called ACCEL PUMP UTILITY which allows the user to dial in how much % of fuel change is given when the throttle is STABBED much like the accelerator pump on a CARB....eliminate hesitation or hiccups.

It is expandable with the POER COMMANDER HUB for use with QUICK SHIFTER, DUAL MAP SWITCH, IGNITION, BOOST PRESSURE INPUT, N20 solenoid activation, SHIFT LIGHT OUTPUT and many others that I don’t even know about.

Maps can be traded and downloaded off their site. This is a great feature but do to different year manufacturing differences and for best performance every bike should be tuned itself.

DYNO JET TESTS AND RETESTS THEIR PRODUCTS ON BIKES IN THEIR OWN FACILITY ON THEIR OWN DYNO.

DOBECK, DMC<BIG GUN>MOTOWORKS>TRINITY>and many others
depending on which sticker they put on it...

The DOBECK EFI controller is well know and sold on a large scale thru a lot of different aftermarket pipe and performance kit manufactures with the simple change of a sticker.....

The quality of these controller are sub par, with POOR cosmetic looks and flimsy housings that will not stand up to the abuse given by most riders, their connectors are cheap feeling and need persuasion for proper fitment.

The dobeck controller, uses 4 trim pots or 5 face buttons for adjustments and are limited to only ADDING fuel.

It does not use a TPS input....and is limited to only adjusting the fuel cure to 100% throttle and calculates the rest of the fuel map based of the programmed percentage of added fuel on top of the factory stock map.

These units work best in an ALL OUT DRAG BIKE which will never see the trails (if you are able to get enough fuel delivery from them) or a lightly modified 3 to 5 mod bike, with acceptable but not great throttle response and rideability....

There is no expandability and customer support is VERY POOR.

NOW WHY ARE YOU STILL USING A DOBECK?
For the small difference in price, why would anyone buy one?
Devil's advocate here.

So, other than the map from the manufacturer, Fuelmoto or someone else...how many of you people have brought your PCIII or PCV to a dyno and had it properly tuned to your quad? My guess is that it's very few. I know I was guilty of it and I've had both a PCIII *and* a PCV. I've also had a dobek programmer.

So, if you buy a programmer that is setup for manufacturer "X"'s parts and tuned for those settings how are you going wrong? It would be the same thing if you bought a PC-whatever and never had it tuned. Adding or not adding fuel results in the same result, shit performance.

Go ahead and check to see how many maps out there fit your actual setup on your 700xx. Better yet, email them and tell them your setup and ask for a map for that if you want to wait longer.

[waiting]

Not that many huh? Well, for guy who isn't going to take the time at the dyno or a whole day of butt dyno time, I think that Dobek would be best, so long as you have a setup from that manufacturer. I've heard nothing but good things about Eric's stuff, I cant say the same the same for the brand I had, but I got mine early on.

If you have one of the 100's of raptor setups out there, sure they nearly have every map for nearly every combo under the Sun, but I haven't found that for the Honda 700XX.

Whatever you choose do lots of homework and don't rely on the zealot's out there to steer you one way or another.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 42 Posts