Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting outgrowth of Honda's goal to fit the longest A-arms and axle shafts possible is the use of special 11-inch-diameter rear wheels (larger than competitive designs). The larger-diameter wheels allow the knuckles and hubs to reach farther into the wheel cavity, which effectively extends the A-arms and axle shafts to the perimeter of the 700XX's track width. To maintain strength and light weight, the thickness of the rear-wheel wall varies as it extends from the center plate to the outer ring of the wheel—another Honda ATV first. And here's another: the fitment of replaceable rim scrapers to remove mud and debris from rear wheels, a feature pioneered on Honda's popular Foreman and Rincon series.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
An interesting outgrowth of Honda's goal to fit the longest A-arms and axle shafts possible is the use of special 11-inch-diameter rear wheels (larger than competitive designs). The larger-diameter wheels allow the knuckles and hubs to reach farther into the wheel cavity, which effectively extends the A-arms and axle shafts to the perimeter of the 700XX's track width. To maintain strength and light weight, the thickness of the rear-wheel wall varies as it extends from the center plate to the outer ring of the wheel—another Honda ATV first. And here's another: the fitment of replaceable rim scrapers to remove mud and debris from rear wheels, a feature pioneered on Honda's popular Foreman and Rincon series.
But if you can still cram all that into a 10-inch rim, it makes this all moot, does it not? The only thing you lose is the mud scrapers. I'm sure you took this from the initial write-up on the XX, I remember reading this verbatim.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I got it from a magazine, The taller rim provides better handling than a 10-22 setup also.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
But if you can still cram all that into a 10-inch rim, it makes this all moot, does it not? The only thing you lose is the mud scrapers. I'm sure you took this from the initial write-up on the XX, I remember reading this verbatim.

You also lose a little traction with a smaller tire, but it would barely be noticeable but gain it with a larger tire/rim (thing tractor tire) but add more unsprung weight.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
36 Posts
you wouldnt lose more traction youd gain it. Less rim diameter means more meat grabbing. Thats why mx racers always use a 18" tire on 8" rim, you never see them using 9 or 10 inch rims. Just take a look at all the MX race quads.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
you wouldnt lose more traction youd gain it. Less rim diameter means more meat grabbing. Thats why mx racers always use a 18" tire on 8" rim, you never see them using 9 or 10 inch rims. Just take a look at all the MX race quads.
I'm pretty sure they use the smaller tire diameter for better gearing and ease of "gearing" change between tracks or racing. They may want a taller trail tire and a shorter MX tire. They only make ONE 18" tire in a 9" wheel diameter size. These bikes dont need to do 80mph on track. But they need to get to as fast as they can before the next jump - as fast as they can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not true, they make several 18" mx tires for 9" rims. It has nothing to do with gearing, its all about getting more meat to the ground and tire deflection. I raced quad motocross for 15 years.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not true, they make several 18" mx tires for 9" rims. It has nothing to do with gearing, its all about getting more meat to the ground and tire deflection. I raced quad motocross for 15 years.
there is a tradeoff for more rubber and less wheel as well ...tire and body roll while turning /acceleration/braking....at the end of the day this 700xx is not a mx bike ...never will be ... so that mx line of thinking does not apply to an endurance machine. its the same principle with the front tires ... which is why the solid bead down the center of the wheel makes it much more responsive to turn...and to go straight as the surface a baja or gncc rider is on is always changing ... not like a groomed mx track. put some flat tread tires on your machine and ride ... the control is terrible ..almost uncontrollable at mega-highspeed ... which is the point but only exaggerated... so a trade off like previously stated ... you wanna go 50 as fast as you can get there because thats all the speed you need ... or you can cruise in style tuned for 80-90-even 100mph.

because mx bikes have a solid rear ...the additional rubber makes up for some of the suspension flaws...and added traction... there may be more meat on the ground ..by a zillimeter or 2 ... but you dont want more meat on the ground when you are pounding a baja circuit going 80-90mph for hundreds of miles... thats what the suspension is for.

i think everyone is correct in what they are saying here ... but just talking about different things.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Alot of you are just saying what ever suits your own point of view........lots of opinion but little else.

Lets just say that their are advantages and disadvantages to both points of view and leave it at that.

What next?.....which colour is fastest.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black of course

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You also lose a little traction (think tractor tire) but add more unsprung weight.
I'm not understanding the comparison?

·
Registered
36 Posts
there is a tradeoff for more rubber and less wheel as well ...tire and body roll while turning /acceleration/braking....at the end of the day this 700xx is not a mx bike ...never will be ... so that mx line of thinking does not apply to an endurance machine. its the same principle with the front tires ... which is why the solid bead down the center of the wheel makes it much more responsive to turn...and to go straight as the surface a baja or gncc rider is on is always changing ... not like a groomed mx track. put some flat tread tires on your machine and ride ... the control is terrible ..almost uncontrollable at mega-highspeed ... which is the point but only exaggerated... so a trade off like previously stated ... you wanna go 50 as fast as you can get there because thats all the speed you need ... or you can cruise in style tuned for 80-90-even 100mph.

because mx bikes have a solid rear ...the additional rubber makes up for some of the suspension flaws...and added traction... there may be more meat on the ground ..by a zillimeter or 2 ... but you dont want more meat on the ground when you are pounding a baja circuit going 80-90mph for hundreds of miles... thats what the suspension is for.

i think everyone is correct in what they are saying here ... but just talking about different things.

No these quads are not made to be a mx quad, but you have to udnerstand, what is mx racing? It is a manmade track made to mimic obstacles we encounter out in trail riding, minus the rocks and roots. Jumps, berms, hills, downhills ruts are all a part of trailriding.

now again were not talking about gearing at all. this is not about why they use 18" tires, its about why they use as little rim diameter as possible. this is not about top speed or acceleration.

The reason they want more tire/less rim is because it helps handling. More rim/less tire will result in sliding instead of grabbing, and also gives more chance to a bead popping. With an IRS quad, more tire/less rim will help even more on these types.

MX racers are not trying to fix a "flaw" in their suspension systems. Most of these racers have better suspensions then we will ever dream of having. A SRA quad is not inferior to a IRS quad at all, theyre just made differently for different types of riding. If IRS was superior everyone would be using them in racing.

so my point is, a 10" rim will work great on these quads, and the smaller diameter rim will only help in traction and handling not hurt it. Dont trust everything that Honda does as gospel, theyve always done stuff that leaves people scratching their heads and cursing them. Its not that big of a difference anyway, not like we're talking about using a 8" rim with a 22" tire.

IMO save your money and just buy 10" rims, youll be more then happy.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
the reson behind the shorter tire is it lowers the center of gravity and the smaller diamiter rim is so the tire has more compresion before the rim bends a tall rim has less side wall roll and is less likely to come off the bead i run 18" holeshots on a 9" rim with bead rings at about three pounds

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also they mentioned in the article they used a 22" tire to be able to use a smaller rear sprocket for ground clearance

1 - 20 of 21 Posts