Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very simple. How much of the motor has to come off to replace a cam chain?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe you need to take the head, cylinder off then split the case.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe you need to take the head, cylinder off then split the case.
Shouldn't be near that involved. Just by looking at the manual and my own torn down quad, I would say just the cylinder head cover and the clutch side (right) engine cover. Cylinder head cover should get you to the cam to get the top of the cam chain, the removing the right side cover should get you to the lower part of the cam chain. Should then just be a matter or pulling the old chain out of the motor and snaking the new one in. Of course, that is the simplified version, would need to do a bunch of little stuff, drain oil, remove cam chain tensioner, etc. Of course, haven't done it myself yet, so maybe it is harder then I am thinking.

Doug

·
Registered
671 Posts
Was out in the garage a little bit ago and happened to take a peak at my 700XX. (Currently everything from the cylinder up is off of it.) Cam chain does not even go into the center cases, it is out side of them, so no reason to split the cases. Just need to remove the right side engine cover and you will have full access to the lower portion of the cam chain. Only problem is, after looking at it, I don't think you can get that right side cover off with the motor in the frame, it is pretty close to the frame rail itself, at a minimum have to pull all the motor mount bolts and anything else holding the motor in place (intake, rad hoses, etc.) so you can shift the entire motor some to get room to pull that cover. Not really difficult to do, but would for sure take some time.

Doug

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I don't have to split the case, I think I can do this. There's a motor on ebay for $1500, I wonder if i'd be better off swapping it in and just building my current one up :D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I literally just walked out to the garage to see the right side only to find no quad in my garage. Guess I forgot it's at the dealer right now. Doh!

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I literally just walked out to the garage to see the right side only to find no quad in my garage. Guess I forgot it's at the dealer right now. Doh!
Very funny !

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If mine wasn't replaced when they "rebuilt" the motor, then it's the original. If it's the original, I honestly dont know how many hours on it. I will have an hour meter installed shortly though just so I have a way to measure things. $9000 quad, you'd think it'd have one with it. I should've bought a KTM. (and i dont care if they dont come with one anyway) this thing is pissing me off every time i go to fix something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When you take off the right side cover, you will need to also take off the primary drive gear. The way that the right casing is molded, it is formed tightly around the bottom of the timing sprocket. This is located behind the primary drive gear. I believe you are going to have to order a gasket also.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They don't make it easy do they?!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a guy to do it for $230... sounds good to me!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found a guy to do it for $230... sounds good to me!
Well $230 turned into $530 in a hurry. But it's fixed now and sounds better than ever!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol. Haven't rode it yet.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
that wasnt very impressive. lol

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The log isn't, no. Theres another video I wish I had from the other side that's funnier. It was the last throttle blip and bouncing over the log that was funny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts