Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda tells me that high rpm 4 stroke engines have a lot of oil come out of these... A day of hard riding is enough to run the motor low on oil and ruin it.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I think there talking shit, Crotch Rockets have high rpm, high output 4strokes and they don't use oil.... When I ride certain trails around here yo pretty much stay in the top of third for miles and mine has never used oil like there saying. Thats just there attempt to blow you off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The crankcase breather ? Sounds like whomever you talked to at Honda needs to put down the pipe !! The main purpose of the breather is emissions control- to recycle crankcase gases caused by piston ring blow-by and to keep crankcase gas pressure at a minumum . You absolutely should NOT be LOSING OIL through the breather. Sounds to me like they're stretching for a good excuse t0 back out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The crankcase breather ? Sounds like whomever you talked to at Honda needs to put down the pipe !! The main purpose of the breather is emissions control- to recycle crankcase gases caused by piston ring blow-by and to keep crankcase gas pressure at a minumum . You absolutely should NOT be LOSING OIL through the breather. Sounds to me like they're stretching for a good excuse t0 back out of warranty.
^^ This ^^

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is usually caused by a crank seal going bad at least on the 450.I would also think the rings are going. Just my .02 and experience.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tell them that is not in any of the Honda literature (owners manual or service manual) and your lawyer wants to see it in writing......

·
Registered
183 Posts
a day of hard riding is enough to run it low? thats a big load of pig crap. my first oil change at 20 hours yielded near 2 quarts. ive got about 30 on it now and the oil level hasnt budged. crankcase breather tube is pretty much dry.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Honda tells me that high rpm 4 stroke engines have a lot of oil come out of these... A day of hard riding is enough to run the motor low on oil and ruin it.

I might could believe that........if it were running upside down.

Are they calling the 700xx a high rpm motor? How fast does this thing spin?

·
Registered
199 Posts
sounds like a bunch of BS to me, I've had almost every kind of small engine there is and have never lost oil from the breather.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would not call the 700XX a high RPM four stroke, so it should not be a problem at all, but the CRF's do have this happen. It is just the way the breather is designed in the valve cover. My 2003 CRF from the factory had a little tube on the breather with a plug at the end that would collect the oil. After every high RPM ride, the tube would be full of oil. Since the CRF's only hold about a two thirds of a quart of oil, I could see that a aggressive rider could blow out enough oil to hurt the motor in a day of riding.

My TRX450R's will blow a little oil out the breather also after alot of high RPM riding. No where near as bad as the CRF, but it does do it. It is pretty normal for the Honda 450's and 250's, I do not expect it to be a problem at all on the 700XX.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Post the Dealership's number so us worried customer's can call to confirm how often we should be checking our oil lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only time I had an engine pump oil out of a breather tube was when i had cracked ring lands, rings very worn. I guess if by poor design there could be enough vaccum to pull oil through the tube if you where at say 50* incline and tube is about .125 away from a puddle of oil. THe only way i see someone loosing that much oil on a hard day at the trails is if someone changed there oil on the trail. I hate it when the techs talk to you like you are going to believe and line of crap the feed you.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I agree... tell them your lawyer wants to see this in writing... either in the service manual or in a service bulletin from Honda... so that your lawyer can decide whether to sue them for warranty breach or to sue them for non-disclosure for not disclosing this problem before you bought your quad. Or to sue them for treating us like we're dumb enough to believe this line of crap.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i agree with roadkill totally!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rings, head gasket, crank oil level, defective case could all be a problem. I would say just about all 4 stroke atv are high RPM motors, there is a problem or all the trx would blow oil!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts