·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanna know how often everyone does this

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i did mine at the first 20hr then at 100hr next in gona do it at 200hr or when the oil gose black. no need to change it every 10, 20, 30 hours like some ppl do thats just a waste of time and money i cand spend riden.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
If I race mine, then every 2 races as I am usually in the HIGH RPMs for most of the race. If I am just leisure riding, every 20-30 hours. Some people want to wait until the 100hr mark, but it is cheaper to buy oil and filters than it is to replace something.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
It all depends on the type of riding I did, if it's real dusty and slow going then I'll change it more often.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yep, that slow going is the key....if your fan has to kick on alot to keep engine cool, then you want to cut your change interval in half....that heat will break the oil down fast

·
Registered
505 Posts
i did mine at the first 20hr then at 100hr next in gona do it at 200hr or when the oil gose black. no need to change it every 10, 20, 30 hours like some ppl do thats just a waste of time and money i cand spend riden.
I change mine at 10hrs max, and there is a very good reason to change it often, I guarantee you your oil breaks down long before you will hit 30+ hrs. it is cheap insurance for a high cost investment that I want to last...but to each his/her own.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I am working on something right now to make sure you guys will benefit from using an oil analysis. What this is going to do is give you an inside look at the way your engine is working with your oil. It will give you particle counts on dirt and metal fragments and fuel contamination as well. It will even give drain interval reccomendations. I am going to post a thread about it in a couple of days. Basicaly though, you will no longer have to GUESS on wether the oil is still good or not so that you can get everything out of each oil change!

Take care

·
Registered
446 Posts
I change mine at 10hrs max, and there is a very good reason to change it often, I guarantee you your oil breaks down long before you will hit 30+ hrs. it is cheap insurance for a high cost investment that I want to last...but to each his/her own.
ditto... why risk causing engine damage when you can just change the oil a little early. Generally I'm every 4-5 rides (couple hours each usually)

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I don't change my oil on a set schedule. Everything depends on what kind of riding I've been doing.

roadkill

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Whenever I get bored I want to fiddle with the xx. So when I get bored and there is nothing left to do I will change the oil. Most likely every three to four rides at about three hours a piece.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I usually change at 3 hours or one race on semi-synthetic, Tried 5 hours and did the kitchen towel test and think that I'll change at 3 hours and use full synthetic or find a better brand of oil. :D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
cars go way over 100hr with out new oil and they have o lot more moving part... same with boat engines and they live at 6000-12000 rpm and tractors go over 1000 hr with out new oil and the live in dust. and there air filters are shit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
cars go way over 100hr with out new oil and they have o lot more moving part... same with boat engines and they live at 6000-12000 rpm and tractors go over 1000 hr with out new oil and the live in dust. and there air filters are shit.
So whats your point?, none of those are wet clutch applications and the oil does not provide lubrication to the tranny as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes tractors are wet clutch but they do have good filters and pre filters.

Ok, I might have been wrong there...but it still does not mean a thing. I'm sure the oil has sheared down in those applications as well long before the mentioned change intervals, but I have never done any testing on those applications so I don't know.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes tractors are wet clutch but they do have good filters and pre filters.
not as good as atv's ohhhh and boats dont have air filters.

·
Registered
505 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts