Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going riding for the day yesterday... I load my quad the night before so I can get an early start. I think I may have tightened my tie down straps just a little too tight. I use 4 tie downs... 2 on the rear grab bar and 2 more on the bumper in front. It appears that the tension on the tie downs on the bumper were a bit much... I hit a bump on the highway and the tension broke 2 of the welds on the bumper... Try to beat that one... break the bumper while the quad is still on the truck! My riding buddy from yesterday has his own quad shop and is going to re-weld the bumper Monday. Didn't want the bumper flexing too much on the ride so see the last pic for my temp fix.

roadkill :haha:

·
Registered
118 Posts
dam thats all bad! hey i just saw your pms my bad dude i think i turned the notification off lol maybe next time.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
roadkill,
I am certainly not a welding expert but it looks as though that all of the weld was deposited on vertical post and did not penetrate the edge that broke somewhat clean. If that holdown strap was too tight, I would think the tubing would bend before the weld would break. Anyone else have any comments on this?:confused:
Sid

·
Registered
354 Posts
yeah a weld should be stronger than the tubing itself, but it's hard to tell what happened, i would just tack it back on and touch up the paint and ride it...i mean good luck proving it's a bad weld...

or, you could always rock the shoelace brah, it gives it some character...lol

and yes, very talented, i've never seen that happen before

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think 4 straps is overkill to begin with... personally, never strap it in the back of the truck... I just snug it to the front and leave it in gear

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like they had a large gap between the bracket and the tubing and tried to fill it with weld. It might also be that they over heated the bracket and caused it to become brittle but this is less likely.

·
Registered
47 Posts
holy hell man!
A- why the hell are you straping it down so tight?
B- why 4 straps? 2 should be more than enough for a quad
C- it doesnt look like a problem with the weld, that just happens to be the weakest link of the bumper, prolly has to do with how it was strapped down too.

·
Registered
788 Posts
That sucks. Its never a good thing if the bike gets damaged before unloading it. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(you're strapping it down in the wrong area)
I agree... now anyway. Should've hooked to the frame instead of the bumper.
As for the weld... clean break... no penetration of the weld. As for 4 tie downs... All I can say is that my truck bed is 8' and I always want my quad secure right in the middle. 2 straps holding it tight to the front bulkhead would probably work... except that the bumper would rub the bulkhead if pulled tight to it. 4 straps in the middle has always worked for me... till now anyway. But done right, still very secure.

roadkill

·
Registered
354 Posts
I actually always strap from the handlebar clamp ot bars close to the clamp and just one strap in the rear frame to keep it from sliding around, i always ride the bike on and stall it in gear against the bed or against a tire or some sort of cushion between the bumper and bed then e-brake it too, same with bikes, i have logged about a zillion miles most of them with 2 bikes next to each other, i usually just ride my quad where i need to be and never had an issue yet...I use a canyon dancer for street bikes and one strap over the back tore just to keep it from flopping like a largemouth bass...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
dont get= dg lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ah yes...The high tension shoelace with the titanium aglets...Don't bother re-welding it!....lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
I usually strap mine back aginst the gate. I use 3 straps 1 in the grab bar to the hitch or bumper and 2 from front lower controls it eack corner. or with 4 same 2 on front and the pegs to the back. I strap it to the back so when I take off like a top fuel race car it doesnt slam into the gate if the straps break.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
if its in a pick up it aint gona bonce 2' and fly off y strap it down unless u dont put er in gear or keep the gate down......

·
Registered
184 Posts
In my opinion it should be tied in always. just think what could happen if some a$$ hat pulls out infront of you and you have to swerve or break really hard??? swerve and it ends up out of the truck wrecked. slam on the breaks and it break the back window and mabe hits you in the head. uummm ya mine will be well tied in.even in gear with the breaks on just the rear tires hold it so theres not much to stop it from moving and wrecking stuff really fast.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
i never strap the bike down, just put it in gear. inless its hanging off the end of the trailer.:lmao:
I used to do the same thing, until I read that it was hard on clutch baskets. Not sure if it is BS or not. I do see how rocking back and forth would make the friction plates hit the basket every time, but I question if it is hard enough to actually do anything to it.

I usually just use one stap ran behind the front bumper and snug it up against the front of the truck bed. I have got a treated 4x4 that I throw in behind the back tires too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts