Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was doing some maintenance on my 08 700xx When I seen the oil was low. So I though I would have to fill it up for awhile if I fill the whole oil tank to the top. Well then I though after I did it that maybe its not good. So should I leave it in there or drain it all out and buy another bottle of oil? Keep in mind I filled the whole oil tank up!

P.S I DID NOT start the engine up yet. Will I get any engine damage still?

Thanks for any help, I am real scared I F**ked it up... :confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I would drain it before starting, shouldn't do any damage if you haven't run bike. Not sure how you checked the oil but it's a little tricky on the XX if you ask me. Cause if you just check it, with out running and warming up it will read low.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
dont overfill a motor with oil its not good for it. Ones with a external ressi can be over filled slightly but not to the top.

dont cheap out on oil and oil maintence if you have a expensive machine spend a extra $50-$100 a year a change the oil regulary it will save you $$ in the long run

on my race/drag bike i change the oil after every 10-20 passes these are a way different than your bike but it equates to maybe 10-15 minutes of run time tops. obviously im not saying thats what you should do but realisticly i would say on a trail bike 12-15 hours change it. If your ever in doubt that its not right just drain it out and put it back in you can recyle it if its new oil and it takes less than 10 mins

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I would drain the engine and tank. Change the filter and refill with correct amount of new oil.
I 2nd this and as EHS said don't cheap out on regular maint...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Phil700,
All the above is great advice. Shouldn't take more than 2 quarts of Honda Oil. Slightly over is OK. Be sure to drain the small amount that remains in the crankcase. Your owner's manual will be a guide as to where that drain plug is. You should also be very careful as to the orientation of the oil filter. A Honda filter has information on the filter housing as to which side goes forward. Warm up engine before checking oil level. Book says 5 minutes. Just ride it around for a short trip then check the level.
Sid

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for your help guys! One more question, do I need to buy a new filter you guys were talking about or just clean it?

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Thanks so much for your help guys! One more question, do I need to buy a new filter you guys were talking about or just clean it?
Put in a new one.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Phil700
Baxter is right on. Not only is this a good idea whenever your change oil but it will give you a chance to make sure the filter is pointing in the correct orientation. One other thing, when you re-install the filter housing do not and I repeat do not over tighten the screws. That long screw only goes in one position. If you tighten it as the owner’s manual instructs you may pop the head off. Just use a box wrench and tighten the screws alternating from bottom to top, then from side to side and carefully "snug" them all up. These screws will be tight enough to when you remove the filter housing cover again they will give a good pop.
Sid

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all of your help guys! You made it go so much more smoothly, thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
i chang mine every 10 hrs with only honda gn4 10w-40 and honda oil filter and i check it every time i ride and always looking for leaks i guess you could call me paranoid but rather be paranoid than without my quad lol still love this thing like the day i bought treat it like one of my kids and trust me my kids get treated really good always clean

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Every 10 hrs?? Sorry but thats just stupid and a total waste of money.
Its every 100 hrs, 600 miles or 12 months.
I agree and disagree with this! I do say 10 hrs is some real over kill, but better safe than sorry. And I know the manual says 100 hours, but if you ask me that is just Honda's way of selling more quads! I believe the manual also calls for 10W30 oil. Personally I change mine 3 times a season. I don't ride much at all after Thanksgiving, and then not until Easter. I run 30 weight oil in mine the 1st part of season, and then change to 40 weight before the summer heat sets in. If I were to guess I change my oil after around 30hrs of run time, but that's just a guess, as I have no hour gauge.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The raptor is every 300 hrs, but that engine is proven to do loads of miles as it is also fitted in so many bikes..
Every 10 hrs is like ktm territory, or any other race quad..
Oil spec is surely just a guide as that really depends on what climate you live in.
But on the other hand, a quad that spends months just sitting and minimal use would possibly require more frequent changes,as like fuel, oil can degrade.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
The raptor is every 300 hrs, but that engine is proven to do loads of miles as it is also fitted in so many bikes..
Every 10 hrs is like ktm territory, or any other race quad..
Oil spec is surely just a guide as that really depends on what climate you live in.
But on the other hand, a quad that spends months just sitting and minimal use would possibly require more frequent changes,as like fuel, oil can degrade.
I agree. I live in California and ride most weekends year round. I change my oil and filter about every 3 months... this works out to about 72 hours ride time. Then again, I ride hard and at high speed in high air temps, so my schedule seems right for ME. All it takes is one time to put off changing your oil on a schedule that's right for how YOU ride and YOUR weather conditions for something to go wrong... which = $$

roadkill

·
Registered
258 Posts
Every 10 hrs?? Sorry but thats just stupid and a total waste of money.
Its every 100 hrs, 600 miles or 12 months.
well i dont think its stupid bc 100hr is just stupid thats asking for you engine to lock up and not be oiled properly my truck i change the oil every 2000 miles thats y i have gotten 369000 miles out of my toyota 4runner and i change the air filters ever 15000

·
Registered
481 Posts
100hrs is stupid ? well maybe you had better tell the largest engine manufacturer in the world that they have got it wrong?
2.1 litre mercedes diesel engines can easily exceed 500,000 miles, yet oil change is 13,000 intervals.
By all means change it every 10 hrs, but myself, i have better things to do than waste money and time on un necesary oil changes..

high mileage engines are down to what and how they are used, with regular oil changes, not lots of extra changes..

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I change my oil and filters after every race whether it be a oval race meet (30mins engine time) or weekend of Beachcross (3 1/2 hours engine time).

The xx motor doesn't seem as well built as the 450r motor, so keeping fresh oil in it at all times ,is my way of keeping it in one piece. Oil is cheaper to change than metal.
My next race is an 8 hour enduro and slightly nervous about the gearbox lasting that long. Just rebuilt it for the second time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I guess I am stupid also, I change mine around the 10 to 15 hour mark if I am just out trail riding. Racing, it gets changed before and after every race. So start with fresh oil, if the race is 4 hours, it gets changed after, if the race is 12 hours, it get changed after. May seem like over kill to some, but oil is cheap, engines are expensive. Gives me the piece of mind the motor is not going to fail me, that is worth all the extra money and time in oil changes to me.

At 100 hours, I am doing more then changing the oil, I am rebuilding the bottom end of the motor.

Doug

1 - 20 of 38 Posts