Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:(

Epic fail on my part.

Last week I got my dogs vaccinated at a "Get your pet's vaccinated day" at a local Walgreens and since I saw that my dog had worms in her stool, I got her the heartworm and other de-worming medicine. I waited until Sunday to give her the heartworm medicine. Well since then her health has been gradually declining to where now she can barely make it up the stairs.

No tests were given to my dogs to find out if they had heartworms and no questions were asked.

Since then I have found (via the Internet) that if you administer heartworm medicine to a dog that already has heartworms that the large amount of worms that are in the dog's blood system die off it could create toxic shock and kill the dog. I don't blame the vet, I blame myself for not looking into this further and finding out what I should and should not do.

So I have a 2:20 appointment today to find out the next steps and to see if this is treatable.

Why am I posting here? I'm asking you (even though some of you may not believe in it) to pray for my dog. She's been a part of my life for the past 12 years and I love her very much. My kids would be devastated if she passed as would I but with the added guilt of knowing my ignorance may have caused it.

Cliffs: Pray for my dog, Nala.

Here's Nala on the right on a recent camping trip:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
421 Posts
Very sorry to hear, Gary. I couldn't imagine if something happened to my dog.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Damn Gary, hope she gets well, I love my puny little dog! Will pray for her. It is true that if too many worms they cause toxins when they die. Dont know if an IV of saline would help? maybe dilutes the toxins? Research the internet. Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
421 Posts
:yay:Glad to hear to good update!! Hope she keeps improving

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Geeze remind me not to let you cook next time we go camping! Who knows what you'll be putting in the food! haha

Sorry to hear about Nala, but glad to hear she seems to be getting better!

·
Banned
711 Posts
glad to hear..... my st bernard died when i had my quad crash in april.... had her 13 years.... i belive it was somthing the ups man fed her

·
Registered
984 Posts
Gary,
Sorry to hear about Nala, glad she's doing better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I hope Nala is ok, My poor dogs been through hell. She was hit by a car as a puppy, had two surgeries but pulled through she is 9 now and every time we go to our property, she gets all excited and over does it, then she can barely stand up the next day. man that just kills me. I love dogs very much and not to sound like a pussy but reading about Nala welled my eyes up. Give her a special treat like chicken breast or something.

·
Banned
711 Posts
:(

Did you get another dog yet?

Nala is doing slightly better this morning thank to her steroid shot and being on antibiotics. She seems more alert but still very lethargic none the less.

no dog yet... and since iam on nonperminit disability..... i have had my hands full shooting the rat ***** my dog had the job of chasing away from the chicken coop. you'd be suprised what a 22 and silencer can do, i shot one ratcoon and another didnt even hear it and 30 min later started to eat the ratcoon i shot, so i shot her too

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sorry to hear about Nala, Gary. Glad to hear she is doin better!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.