Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm straddling the fence on whether or not I should take the plunge and get the big three. I'm interested in purchasing; a controller, a full exhaust, and modifying my air box lid.

If I do these upgrades and my riding style dosent change *other than the increased power* How much will the lifespan/reliability of my 700 suffer , as a pose to keeping it stock?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Alltho i dont have the big 3 on my honda i did put it on my 97 banshee and it is still going strong today only thing needed to be done to it is the norm top end rebuild cause of being 2 stroke i would say go for it

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Reliability should not be effected at all as you have not changed the internals of the motor.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Adding the Big3 will not alter the longevity of the quad.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I agree with everyone else, but I'll add that if you don't have your EFI controller set up correctly it could shorten the life of the engine, but you have plenty of help on here to make sure that that will not be a problem. :tup:

·
Registered
788 Posts
The only way I can see the Big3 hurting the engine is if you get so obsessed with the power that you end up beating on the bike. But, then again if you keep it stock and need more power, you might end up beating on it anyway. The main reason mine is mostly stock is because of the money issues. Also I am just fine with the power it has now. I don't really race and for the trails I hit mostly, it is just fine. But......if I had the money I would probably do it. :hey:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
in a sense the big 3 is actually makeing the engine run more efficient you are opening it up allowing it to breath better with exhaust and intake and are makeing it run the optimal fuel curve with the controler. which in turn also add a little bet of get up and go to it as well

·
Registered
734 Posts
in a sense the big 3 is actually makeing the engine run more efficient you are opening it up allowing it to breath better with exhaust and intake and are makeing it run the optimal fuel curve with the controler. which in turn also add a little bet of get up and go to it as well
Absolutely agree!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

if the big 3 make the 700 engine more efficient wouldn't Honda install this at the factory before the machine was ever sold?

more efficient & longer lasting = more attractive product = higher sales

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
if the big 3 make the 700 engine more efficient wouldn't Honda install this at the factory before the machine was ever sold?

more efficient & longer lasting = more attractive product = higher sales
Emissions & Cost

·
Registered
667 Posts
Absolutly, cost and emissions. The reliability could get even better by adding higher quality parts. I can tell you that when EHS built my head there were hairline cracks in 3 out of 4 valve guides from the stock engine! I would guarentee my EHS motor will outlast a stock motor due to the time and attention to detail Eric has put into it!

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Now now phucknutless, Was the case split and massaged? No? With the components that were installed on the top end it will be the first to go. It's not that they aren't quality parts, It's simply because there performance parts.

Big Cam = Valve train stress
Higher compression = Greater sidewall wear on our skimpy slipper pistons
What were the guides replaced with?

:)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Now now phucknutless, Was the case split and massaged? No? With the components that were installed on the top end it will be the first to go. It's not that they aren't quality parts, It's simply because there performance parts.

Big Cam = Valve train stress
Higher compression = Greater sidewall wear on our skimpy slipper pistons
What were the guides replaced with?

:)
we machined a set of guides designed for the 650r, had to make them.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The Amco's? Same ones I used.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
yeah dave smooth is right on this one :) the parts we put in yours will wear quicker than stockers for sure. How much probably not all that bad its still a relatively mild build compared to what can be done i would say anything under 60-63 hp (done correctly) on this motor is still very solid unless someone used ti valves. I think compression under 13.0 doesnt really effect anything for wear the amount of cylinder pressure under that isnt all that great. The thing that will wear the quickest is the valves with the heavy springs that get run, the ramp on the cam should slow um some but they still close harder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts