Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after another kick ass weekend of riding like a madman, I am contemplating on adding a mod to my quad. My right shoulder took a serious beating and I initially was thinking I should get a stabilizer/damper, but then I was thinking maybe I should replace the front shocks. A precision stabilizer costs about half of what I would spend on shocks, but if I get the stabilizer, I will still be looking at replacing the shocks down the road. I know that I am talking 2 different things, but the shocks could help with some of the beating, just not the same level as the stabilizer. I have never had a stabilizer/damper on a quad. Which direction would you go?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
The steering damper first. Then see if you still need to upgrade your shocks. A good steering damper will make a world of difference. If you upgrade your shocks first, you may find that you still need a good steering damper. Go the cheaper way first.
BTW - ccp steering damper on eBay $160.00 or $180.00 as "buy it now"

roadkill

·
Registered
671 Posts
Getting both would be ideal, but if I had to pick just one, I would get shocks. As far as I am concerned, the stock front shock on the 700XX belong at the bottom of a trash can, they are horrible! At least in my case, I would see a much bigger improvement in handling with new shocks then a stabilizer.

Doug

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I'm going shocks...fully adjustable i-Shocks for a grand, or Elka's fully adjustable for $1,150?? Neither of these has the hi-speed/low-speed adjustment, but I don't think I'd ever be able to get them tuned anyway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If I'm going shocks...fully adjustable i-Shocks for a grand, or Elka's fully adjustable for $1,150?? Neither of these has the hi-speed/low-speed adjustment, but I don't think I'd ever be able to get them tuned anyway.
When your spending that kind of money, what's another $160 for the stabilizer?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that I want to go for the Precision, which is $485. It is more adjustable and I'd bet that it holds up much better. I don't really want to spend any, but hey, this kind of stuff is important!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
if you're looking at spending 1 grand... i believe Elka still has the regular shocks, forgot which adjustments, for about 465ish, and spend the other half on the stabilizer... the cool thing about these elkas is that you can always upgrade those shocks by adding the reservoirs and other adjustments... if i'm not mistaken

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Elka's with no rezzies and pre-load adjustable only are about $500.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah but those non rezzy Elka's that are only preload adjustable are emulsion type so they cannot be upgraded that cheaply or easily. Will they be better than stock? yes, by a very noticeable difference? probably not.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
xx-rated ,What type of riding do you do ?
100% mountain trails. Twisty, tight trails. Some of it is rutted and rocky, some trails more than others. We definitely push the speed envelope. I'm still thinking that from a "performance" standpoint, my money would be better spent on shocks first. But from a comfort level, the damper. I can feel my front shocks getting a little "soggy" already.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I have done both and the biggest improvement was the shocks.Much better ride overall.The stabiliser helps but not as much as the shocks.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So, i-shocks for a grand, or Elka's for $1,150? I like the idea of buying american, but I don't really know anything about i-shocks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
So, i-shocks for a grand, or Elka's for $1,150? I like the idea of buying american, but I don't really know anything about i-shocks.
Do you think ELKA is American?

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I have the Elka preload shocks on the front and love them, when I spoke to Elka, they basically told me the inner core of all their shocks are the same so you get the same quality of their high/low price shocks, only thing different is their extra settings, i.e. rebound, piggyback and so on. So basically unless you're going to be racing, all you need is their preload shock which is around 500 and you can upgrade them later on if you want. By upgrading I mean you can add a piggy back reservoir and set it up for rebound and so on.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I agree with Nash04. I also have preload only Elkas and they are great.I was abit worried because of the price (being cheap), These are great shocks. Ordering the rears preload only ,when I get time.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So do you think that the pre-load only shocks are plenty good for a typical "weekend warrior"? There has been a lot of debate around here that pre-load only shocks (no rezzies) aren't much better than stock. I had a pair of Works G-Series on my Raptor and they were pretty damn good. Is a rezzy alone worth another $300 bucks? I've heard that unless you are pretty adept at dialing in shocks that most people don't even reap the full benefit of a fully adjustable shock. Pre-load only Elka's are only $510. That is pretty doable.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
the inner core of all their shocks are the same so you get the same quality of their high/low price shocks, only thing different is their extra settings, i.e. rebound, piggyback and so on. So basically unless you're going to be racing, all you need is their preload shock which is around 500 and you can upgrade them later on if you want. By upgrading I mean you can add a piggy back reservoir and set it up for rebound and so on.
that's where i was going... but others don't think it's work it... i say you go for it if you really want them... just upgrade if you ever want to

1 - 20 of 24 Posts