Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my shocks are stock. I'm not one for big air but this past weekend, I was probably getting 2-3 foot of air on little jumps around this mud hole, but the quad seemed to be bottoming out the shocks every time it landed. I either need new shocks or need to go on a diet. I'm 200# - anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^I know they do, but it felt like the front AND rear were bottoming out and I wasn't even hitting that large of jumps. I'm going to try YFZ450R shocks on the front.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
^^^I know they do, but it felt like the front AND rear were bottoming out and I wasn't even hitting that large of jumps. I'm going to try YFZ450R shocks on the front.
I don't know what shocks you're using now BUT aftermarket shocks can be rebuilt... valved and sprung for YOU. I don't think the yfz450r shocks would work... I think they're too short.

roadkill

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the same problem with my stock shocks in the front on jumps. Put the DS450 shocks/springs on and no more problem. Lands smooth as butter! 250lbs here.

Mav

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I think my shocks are stock. I'm not one for big air but this past weekend, I was probably getting 2-3 foot of air on little jumps around this mud hole, but the quad seemed to be bottoming out the shocks every time it landed. I either need new shocks or need to go on a diet. I'm 200# - anyone else have this happen?
Buy some better(aftermarket) shocks for the front and get the rears serviced. If you are on a budget. Oil and nitrogen has a limited life span.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well... it's two years later and I'm still running the same busted ass shocks. Reason being - I got a Polaris RZR-S with Fox shocks right after I started this and my Honda pretty much sat in the garage lol

The RZR is gone now and this is almost a priority now that I know what a "good" shock should feel like.

How do the DS450 compare to the Fox Evol or Elkas? There is a significant price difference but are the more expensive ones really worth it? I'm considering the DS450 XMX Shocks - they look pretty adjustable to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
How do the DS450 compare to the Fox Evol or Elkas? There is a significant price difference but are the more expensive ones really worth it? I'm considering the DS450 XMX Shocks - they look pretty adjustable to me.

I've road mine with all 4 shocks, oem, ds-450, elka 4's, floats. If you don't mind the Ds-450 being a little longer, I'd definitely go that route. I wish I could go back and instead of buying new shocks just keep the old Ds ones and maybe try a 21" front tire. What I'm getting at is I could never get my ride height low enough with the Ds-450's. The floats for our quad fits the 450r's and many others, so there shorter than oem. I could never get the ride height high enough with them, and went well above recommended settings. They were purchased used, and may have had issues idk for sure. The Elka stage 4's are sweet, now issues at all but the springs rubbed the paint off behind the guards, elka sent me new springs. If you look you may be able to track down someone on eBay with the stage 3 sets for cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elka-Stage-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8c4a8096&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm likely to go with the DS450 shocks. I run a 23" tire and if i have more ground clearance, it wouldn't be a bad thing. I just couldn't put yellow shocks on the quad. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was always turned off by the fact that you have to cut away some of the shock tab in order to fit most quality shocks from other atvs. Then there is the ride height/weight issue that mquick explained. I have heard that you can change out the springs to a shorter one but I never personally experimented with any of that. Do you want to replace the rears as well?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I swapped the springs, with the oem one's. And it seamed worse, so I then removed the "tender spring" the top small one. Still had a ton of ground clearance like 16" to front of skid plate. Or one single on top of a 12 pack!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts