Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raced my friend last weekend with his Yamaha 450 and he smoked me. All he had was an exhaust addition to his quad. He has a lot of trophies for racing and I have none. LOL He was giving me advise and told me to start of in 2nd gear and keep the RPM's up when I take off. I tried this and what a big difference it made. I ran right over a rabbit that shot out in the road and killed it. Oooppps! He also suggested to go to a 15 tooth sprocket instead of the 13 tooth. This way I could wind out each year a bit longer.

Can I get some feed back on this? :atv:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Okay, a lot of people get the 13t for trail riding, b/c it allows you to stay in a bit higher RPM given the gear and technical terrain w/ out stalling. The 15t would make it a tad harder to ride trails, but would increase your overall top end of each gear. Starting off in 2nd is fine but I wouldn't know what to say about trying it w/ the 15t. A lot of people when they drag start off in 2nd b/c usually 1st gear is more say like a granny gear, this eliminates 1 extra shift shortly after take off.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Don't listen to those yamaha guys! lol
stick with the 14 tooth if your gonna be riding in wide open area's.
Oh and i third the starting in second??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
and practice shiftin in the right rpm's dont let the xx rev out this well make it much slower..... un like a 450 the 700 make it best paower in the mid mid/high range.. i have beatin a big 3 yfz be4 but ive bin beatin by one too

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don't listen to those yamaha guys! lol
stick with the 14 tooth if your gonna be riding in wide open area's.
Oh and i third the starting in second??? :confused:
He was maybe thinking of the raptor when he suggested the 15t, for us, the 15T works great. I think the XX is geared a little higher than the raptor is and a 15t may not be the best thing for the XX, you guys on here would know better about that than us raptor guys.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone...I will stick with the 14T and keep practicing in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sand Drags

How far are you from Silver Lake? A bunch of us are going there this weekend. We'll be doing a lot of sand drags. Come join us if u can make it. I saw that you were from Michigan but not sure of what part.

I also agree with launching in 2nd...

·
Registered
152 Posts
No offense, but if your friend has all the trophies, it may just be a matter you being beat by a far more experienced rider. Practice the second gear start...take as little time on the clutch as you can without grinding your gears up...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Craigy72 I will try that out.

I live in the Mt. Clemens area by Selfridge Air Force Base.
Thanks for the invite. I am dieing to go there and try the dunes. My sister goes there all the time. Her and her husband have a bune buggy with a corvette motor in it.

But I am in the Air Force and this weekend and next weekend I have to work. How about next month?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey TRX700 I was also in the Air Force (many years ago). I wish we would be back in Michigan next month but I live in Maryland and my riding buddies and I only take 2 trips a year.

Glamis, CA in February and we do a couples trip to Silver Lake in September. I bought a set of ITP Sand Stars for the sand. They do a great job for duning but I'd like to get a set of straight paddles for the sand drags.

I'm putting on the big 3 in January before Glamis. Going with the Barkers Full Exhaust and EHS programmer & lid. Maybe we'll meet up next year at Silver Lake.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds great steinhax!
I wish I had all that money for the upgrades. I have too many other toys. LOL

You are defiantly a serious rider! Maybe next time in the future. Next year I would be able to go the first or second week of Sep. Working on end of year accounting.

Let me know how that 13t works for you?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ran the 13t in California earlier this year and I was impressed with it. There was nothing I couldn't climb in 3rd gear. I still have the 13t in for Michigan but I'm bringing the stock 14t just in case. The hills at Silver Lake are nothing compared to what we see in the desert.

We spend more time on the flat drags there anyway. Can't wait. Our group is leaving tomorrow night around 9:00 pm. Driving thru the night and we'll be on the sand sometime Saturday afternoon.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I ran the 13t in California earlier this year and I was impressed with it. There was nothing I couldn't climb in 3rd gear. I still have the 13t in for Michigan but I'm bringing the stock 14t just in case. The hills at Silver Lake are nothing compared to what we see in the desert.

We spend more time on the flat drags there anyway. Can't wait. Our group is leaving tomorrow night around 9:00 pm. Driving thru the night and we'll be on the sand sometime Saturday afternoon.

Cheers!
I used the 13t out at wiggins in the sand. I didnt really like it. I absolutely love the 13t on trails though. I switched back to the 14t for the sand and im in love with my bike. i have the barkers, PCIII, intake, and itp sandstars just to give you and idea of my setup.

I also agree with rappie the 15T is good for the raptor but for racing unless you are going on long drags i would stay with the 14T. I get a pretty good hole shot in the sand starting in 2nd. but its all about rider style so go with what feels better.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

Cheers!
If you have skat track's you're going to want to stick with the 13, for molded tires the 14 is "ok" as they don't hook nearly as much. (depending on how your motor is set up)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
If you have skat track's you're going to want to stick with the 13, for molded tires the 14 is "ok" as they don't hook nearly as much. (depending on how your motor is set up)
:stupid:

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Back on topic, Don't feel so bad . I get beaten by works KTM's , Suzuki's and alot of 450's even a rene 800. But I also pass alot of 450's back in the last hour.
Like for like the 450 is gunna win. 450's are fast but you can do it alot longer on the 700xx. Tried both and love the 700xx. :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hear you Baxter!
There is no way that I would give up my 700xx. I love the ride too much. Plus the price I paid for it. It will take me a year or so before I start building it up.
Right now I am trying to get use to this monster. :xx:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts