Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, that was a lot of work. I hope that these things end up working. Tires are BKT, 19" dia fronts, 18" dia rears, I ran a bailer belt inside the rears, and slimed them, no tubes. Screws are kold kutter. I don't know if the pattern will work, or how best to index them, so I did straight up for now and will adjust later.

The rear tires lowered the bike about 1.75", I have nerfs coming, and the 11/16 sway bar coming.

I was thinking about taking the short "helper" springs off the front shocks to lower it another inch- they're in compression just sitting, and I don't think I'll need it for the ice since I'm not jumping, I was also thinking about doing limiting straps on the front A-arms to keep the front end down. I've seen some lower shock relocation brackets for other bikes, and will do some measuring to see if they'd work without having the shock hit the A-Arm.

In the rear, I was looking at relocating either the upper or lower shock mount to get her down more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
nice!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
First time I saw 18's on a 700. Looks nice.:tup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What frame clearance are you at with these tires ?
Is there a "standard" place you measure from, or just the lowest point? I just did a ref. measurement from a frame brace before and after, didn't check overall clearance. I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Looks nice...once you put in the Kold Kutters ....Make Ice Tire Wraps....DO NOT ROLL AROUND THE QUAD ON ANYTHING BUT ICE OR YOUR TIME HAS BEEN WASTED...Ice tires never touch nothing but Ice.....EVER....EVER

If you ever have issues holding air...run tubes or tire slime....I think you'll be set...

·
Registered
437 Posts
and it looks like you did a decent job indexing your screws....you left the back third of the lug open....smart...but if you end up a bit loose in the corner for your liking you can always slide a screw in a few of those lugs with the solid sides of the screw facing in/out instead of front back....it will tighten it up a bit...don't know if you'll need it.

and with my previous post.....these screw are hardend steel on concrete/rocks/grass....they will chip and loose there edge, for messing around with buddies not the biggest deal....racing...HUGE deal these tires are expensive and a PIA to make, protect your investment.

Let me know how it goes or if i can help any

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I agree with USMC, but what I have found helps them stay in a lot better as well is grouping them together, getting them as tight together as possible. How did you put them all in? I use a power drill, and found out the first time I was doing one, not to DRINK ANY BEER at all LMAO! I just use tire slime though. I would buy a completely different set of tires and rims if you don't have any for different riding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was making protective wraps last night out of the extra bailer belt material I had left over- will post pics later - I think they came out nice. Thanks for the info on the indexing, I figured that I'll play around / practice and try some different positions once I go.

I put them in with a cordless drill with an adjustable clutch so I didn't bury them, no beer, lots of coke and coffee. A friend had the good idea of turning down a 1/4" socket head cap screw to use as an install tool instead of using a 1/4" socket. the cap screw head fits the screw head much better, so it doesn't round them off, and it really lasts since the SHCS is hard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, any feedback on the lowering ideas-

Front-

1. Remove helper springs?
2. Make limiting straps out of small dia cable?
3. Machine up some shock relocation mounts?

Rear

1. Cut off lower shock fork and redrill closer to the shock body?
2. Rotate shock body so resivoir is on the outside (for clearance between the two shocks), and relocate upper mount hole?

I know that removing the seat foam was mentioned, but I'm terrible with fabric type stuff and I just know I'd ruin the seat trying to re-cover it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How much suspension do you need in Ice racing? Could you make steel struts for shocks like drag racers? You could make it as low as you wanted then.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Studding stock tires

Has anyone tried studding the garbage factory tires with these just for fun snow/ice riding with any good results? I would hate to waste time studding these tires if they don't hold up.

http://www.aerodist.com/

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts

Front-

Rear

2. Rotate shock body so resivoir is on the outside (for clearance between the two shocks), and relocate upper mount hole?

I know that removing the seat foam was mentioned, but I'm terrible with fabric type stuff and I just know I'd ruin the seat trying to re-cover it.
You can shorten the rear clevis about 1" to 11/4".
Wood Household hardware Rectangle Composite material Electric blue

Blue Rectangle Wood Material property Gas

Sling on some 450r shocks and you should be about 7-8" ground clearance (ish) . Cant remember the figures exactly. I'll check and let you know.
Something I have been working on for the TT-Rexx but will use 18" shocks and Eds +2+1 front a-arms. If you run shorter front shocks, it chucks alot of weight forward( and I mean alot). :D

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I'll work out some shock lengths and ride heights with the 18s.
Got measurements for 22s , not done the 18s yet.
Post them on Sunday. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
08 450r kawi front shocks will lower it about 4 in and are comp and rebound adj. theres a thread on here about them

Front-

Rear

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wouldn't use the Kawi shocks....to soft....Don't run struts you need suspension to keep your tires on the ice in the turns...if you are using stock shocks and really want to lower you can cut down the rears or relocate the brackets a bit if you need to lower the fronts but dont want the full helper spring off make pvc spacers to replace the helper spring with the length desired.....cut your seat foam down....COG goes down as well

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am not into racing and just like to ride. I have always used a stock quad with ice screws in the tires and still had alot of fun. This year with the 700 it should be plenty fast to freeze my face off.
:xx:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Machined up new lower spring mount clevises for the rear, now the rear is just under 8" ground clearance, didn't measure yet with me on it.

In the front, I'm gonna machine up a 1" drop lower perch, and then make some relocation brackets for the lower mount.

So far the rear is 4" lower than stock, and I'm shooting to drop the front by 4.5".

1 - 20 of 50 Posts