Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im looking into getting a 13 tooth sprocket. is it hard to install? do i have to buy another chain? if so what size? will it also make a difference if i have 20'' tires on the rear? thanks for your help:xx:

·
Registered
446 Posts
super easy, however I have a full exhaust and programmer installed and I think I'm going to go back to a 14t sprocket so make sure to keep the old one in case you don't like or want to change it back out.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I have a 13 tooth but I am using the 14 tooth right now. It's easy to switch them out. If I know I'm gonna be riding really tight technical stuff then I'll throw on the 13t if I'm gonna be running faster trails I use the 14t.
I'm not sure how the bike will run with 20" rears? I know there are guys on here with that combo that'll chime in and help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 13 tooth but I am using the 14 tooth right now. It's easy to switch them out. If I know I'm gonna be riding really tight technical stuff then I'll throw on the 13t if I'm gonna be running faster trails I use the 14t.
I'm not sure how the bike will run with 20" rears? I know there are guys on here with that combo that'll chime in and help.
thanks. hopefully they will see this thread. lol

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I run 20" rears and tried the 13 tooth for one day. The power band was way to short for me and caused constant switching of gears. The 700xx in stock form is not a high revving engine and the power drops off after 6500 rpm. Just my .02$

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I run 20" rears and tried the 13 tooth for one day. The power band was way to short for me and caused constant switching of gears. The 700xx in stock form is not a high revving engine and the power drops off after 6500 rpm. Just my .02$

I tend to agree. Using the 13t WITH 20" tire will make your gearing way too low.... through all your gears. I have the big 3 from EHS and 13t, but 22" Razr tires and that combo seems to be just about perfect for where I ride. Northern California has lots of places where you're on tight technical stuff one moment and wide open fire roads the next. My setup allows me to have low enough gearing for the tight stuff and still give me plenty of speed for the fire road sections.

roadkill

·
Registered
333 Posts
i use a 13t at the sand dunes in oregon and at capital forest in washington, as mentioned for tight tech trails its perfect and for the hill drags at the dunes its again perfect. i am runnin the fmf 4.1 full system, uni filter and pc3 with a map from bo and adjusted by i think dave in florida, but not sure and havent seem him on here in forever...

i also still use my 14t for more open trails and logging roads, i also switch back and forth between maps for the pc3 depending on which gear i have on and where im riding.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
If you are running stock motor and 20" rears:

1st , 2nd and 3rd are too low with a 13t front but when you switch back to the 14t front , 5th gear takes ages to get there !
The 20" tyre on a 10" rim ends up being around 21 and 22" due to the rim unless you get the Hiper rim but then you end up way too wide. :D
Just something we Brits have learned.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys for the advice. maybe the 13t doesnt sound so good for the type of riding i do. i usually ride a mix between open sand pits and trails. i hardly ever use 4th or 5th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.