Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is nice and all; but.. Wouldn't it be nice if This Guy rode a Honda. It just pisses me off to watch him..

Unfortunately for myself, i dont get to do any desert/dune riding. All my riding is similar the GNCC riding.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I dont know the dude can ride.

would it be cool if he was on a honda? sure.

but i dont see yamaha giving up thier sponcership any time soon

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
It would take him some time to adjust to the XX. I was watching the way he was leaning and kicking the ass end out around turns, it wouldn't be as easy on the XX at first. It would be awesome though, once he adjusted to the XX he was absolutely destroy all even more than now. He wouldn't have to deal with the SRA rear bouncing all over like in this vid.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I wonder how much his race times would improve if he was on a 700xx?

I love the XX (obviously) and it has it's place, but the 450 sport quads are faster in the woods, period (hence why they use them). I hate to admit it but his lap times would only fall if he were on an XX. If they were faster, they'd be using them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I love the XX (obviously) and it has it's place, but the 450 sport quads are faster in the woods, period (hence why they use them). I hate to admit it but his lap times would only fall if he were on an XX. If they were faster, they'd be using them.
I agree. The xx has its pros and cons. I love the bike and the way it rides but I cant see him improving his time with the Honda.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I disagree. The only reason these guys aren't using machines like the 700 because in gncc quad races you cant have over 450cc displacement Terrain like the woody, hilly, bumpy, log crossings, hill climbs, creek crossings, and much more are the 700's bread and butter! IRS is huge for all of that. If you were to give Bill Ballance a 700xx, and gave him like a month with it on his land. He would absolutely obliterate the competitors in GNCC races (assuming the competitors were still on the 450's).

I was watching the way he was leaning and kicking the ass end out around turns, it wouldn't be as easy on the XX at first.
For me this was true at first, however after i installed some Razrs, it became no problem at all to do zero radius donuts.

Its my belief that with the increased ground clearance, and the increased amount of time the driving tires would be in contact with the ground that the IRS provides; and not to mention an extra 237cc's, the 700xx would smash all the 450's in the GNCC style races.

The only time a 450 sport quad trumps the 700 is on a MX track.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well since bill balance got hurt last week, he will have some time to change his ways and get a 700xx. I hope he gets well soon, i heard that he cracked some vertibrae in his neck and back. If i had a factory sponsor that was going to pay for everything, I could ride something other than a Honda (it would be hard though)!

·
Registered
505 Posts
It just pisses me off to watch him..
Why does it piss you off? He rides what he can win on and what his sponsor tells him to ride......of course if he was losing, I'm pretty sure he would find a new sponsor, which is why he rides what he does.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
ive never seen a 525irs ( proven many times to be faster than most 450's) in the race so maby its just that most of the top riders are so use to sra that irs isnt a option. but when ever i ride with my ferinds that have 450's they can't keep up in the woods and one of them is pissed that he got a yfz it only has 100 hours on it and it needs new rear ball bearings and a top end. and he love how the xx handles.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I disagree. The only reason these guys aren't using machines like the 700 is because in GNCC quad racing you cant have over a 450cc displacement. Terrain like the woody, hilly, bumpy, log crossings, hill climbs, creek crossings, and much more are the 700's bread and butter! IRS is huge for all of that. If you were to give Bill Ballance a 700xx, and gave him like a month with it on his land. He would absolutely obliterate the competitors in GNCC races (assuming the competitors were still on the 450's).

For me this was true at first, however after i installed some Razrs, it became no problem at all to do zero radius donuts.

Its my belief that with the increased ground clearance, and the increased amount of time the driving tires would be in contact with the ground that the IRS provides; and not to mention an extra 237cc's, the 700xx would smash all the 450's in the GNCC style races.

The only time a 450 sport quad trumps the 700 is on a MX track.

I disagree 100%, and I'm sure he would too. lol The bigger heavier bikes (even Raptors, KFX700's) just can't compete with those lil 450's in the tight stuff like that. The XX sure does make it more comfortable which in turn helps your body last longer, but they're just not as quick and nimble as a 450, IRS or not.

I love the XX dont get me wrong, it does a lot of things great, but in tight woods racing and MX, my old 450 was a lot quicker.

Now in the desert, give me the XX! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I disagree 100%, and I'm sure he would too. lol The bigger heavier bikes (even Raptors, KFX700's) just can't compete with those lil 450's in the tight stuff like that.

lil 450's?

2008 Honda 450r________ 2008 Honda 700xx________ difference
Length: 73.3 in _____________ 73.9 in_____________ 6/10 of a in
Width: 46.3 in_______________ 46.3 in_______________ same
Height: 43.3 in______________ 44.3 in_______________ 1 inch
Wheelbase: 50.2 in___________ 49.8 in____________ 4/10 of a in
Seat Height: 32.8 in__________ 32.4 in____________ 4/10 of a in
Ground Clearance: 4.4 in______ 10.5 in________________ 6.1 in

so the 700 is:
6/10 of a in longer
same width
1 inch higher
4/10 of a in narrower
the seat is 4/10 of a in lower
and has 6.1 in more ground clearance
237cc's more powerful

I stand by what i said.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Where's the weight stats? lol

Have you ever ridden any of the 450's?

But seriously, hang around racing enough and you'll see that the general consensus amongst racers is that SRA is much better in tight woods. I'll leave it at that.

Don't shoot the messenger! :D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
yep they dont got much torque and u gota use the clutch alot.

·
Registered
505 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts

But seriously, hang around racing enough and you'll see that the general consensus amongst racers is that SRA is much better in tight woods. I'll leave it at that.

Not only the weight whole weight, but the weight in the ass end and the center of gravity of the XX compared to a SRA 450. I could fart and knock the ass end of my 450's around 180 degrees, where w/ the xx I need to do a K turn in comparison. I race both 450s and the XX in enduros and Hare Scrambles, and I will tell you where the XX is on top IMO. THE GROUND CLEARANCE, and the COMFORT. If it is a rocky place, or very muddy, I use the XX b/c I can save time going over the rocks instead of around them, where as anything else I'd use a 450. This summer I am sticking to just the XX for woods, and the 450s for motos. The XX is a great machine, but power to weight ratio and the 450's has it beat, along with the turning radius. If you watch some of those races, there are quite a few hairpin turns where you can get a lighter/nimbler machine to corner better. I think I can turn very well on the XX, but I can turn even better on a SRA. This is all IMO, and I'm def not trying to start anything, as no one else here is.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Although his post doesn't make much sense, Where did IRS adding torque come from?
I thought he was comparing SRA to IRS, after reading it again I think he meant the 450's have low torque making you shift more often...I guess.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

If you want to know the weight stats, look them up like i did all those other stats. In woods racing a 100lbs heavier and and 237cc's more powerful machine wont hurt you, it will help you.

Do you seriously believe that if the governing body of the GNCC decided to increase the displacement limit of the ATV pro class to 700cc, the racers would still use the 450's because they are "better"?

Oh, and yes i have rode a Honda 450r. One of my friends has one and its hella fun to ride.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts