Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has the IMS oversized fuel tank. If so could you maybe post some pictures on how it looks and let me know if you like it! I am looking into buying one i just dont know how it sits on the quad. Thanks guys and galls :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have one for sale set up for a dry break (dry break not included).

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you want function I hear they work. But if you want looks it's hit or miss. This is what I am gathering from the other posts that I have read.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
On a side note: how many miles do most of you get on the factory tank? I've gone around 60 w/out flipping on reserve. So my guess is about 20 miles per gallon for my riding style.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I raced a night race on my 700XX a couple of weeks ago. Only engine mods are a HMF full exhaust, PC3, uni filter with no lid, and a Hot Cam Stage 3 cam. I got about 15 miles to the gallon at race pace.

Doug

·
Registered
68 Posts
I want an quad that never needs to be filled up.... I want to drive across the Country on half a tank.... What I want is way too much to expect. When I stop to refuel it makes me think I should quit for the day and go home. If I didn't have to worry about filling up I could have fun for the rest of my life. Or at least a few more hours.

·
Registered
381 Posts
<--- I here ya thats why I got a all hoof drive monster. Just have to find a wagon for him to pull.... maybe when gas is $10 pgal Ill hook him upto the xx and pull me around it won't be fast but I'll still be riding. ha

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just finished installing IMS tank. What a royal PITA. Got it close to right after several hours of tweaking, but I can definitely see what people are complaining about. Anyway, extra capacity will be worth it.....

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Just finished installing IMS tank. What a royal PITA. Got it close to right after several hours of tweaking, but I can definitely see what people are complaining about. Anyway, extra capacity will be worth it.....
Right, now if you can just afford to fill it up!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Will see if I can get some pics up tonight after work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Link to pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/priesty1/sets/72157632812767786/

You need to trim the little "J" tabs off your nose-piece & grind the backs of them flat. Also original tank mounting sleeves are too deep, they need to be trimmed back to about 1/4". You need to cut off a section of the internal splash guard on the RH side & relocate the attached wiring plug lower down.
The front tank mount brackets are slotted holes, so do allow for some repositioning fore & aft but even so the tank seems to be lopsided so nothing is symetrical & consequently something will always look out of whack.
All that said though, it does hold a LOT of extra fuel, & most people wouldn't notice the slight abnormalities in the plastics anyway.
Have fun, it's not a quick job.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Would it look better with a black seat and plastics??.....
Got a new seat cover from HCC to fit yet Phil, but it's black sides & red centre panel, but I might throw in a bit of extra padding at the front of the seat before I fit the cover. Hoping that might close the gap up a bit. Have to wait & see how it goes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My tank does not fit brilliantly but its probably only me who will ever notice..
I still have the oem stuff so could always put that back on if it really worried me..
the extra range more than makes up for the bad fit !

·
Registered
111 Posts
Be careful with alloy fuel cap on this tank, plastic tank thread seemed to cross thread very easily, unfortunately now I can only run the IMS plastic cap.
On the bright side my new seat cover with some extra wadding squeezed underneath has closed the tank to seat gap nicely, I even added a litle more padding at the back as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
New seat cover, filled the gap.

Fitted new seat cover with a bit of extra padding up the front. Fixed the ugly gap after the IMS tank was fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Original fit

Ugly....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Fitted new seat cover with a bit of extra padding up the front. Fixed the ugly gap after the IMS tank was fitted.
Looks good, and similar to my seat cover.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts