Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after buying a black ims tank, I thought i would write this.
The tank out of the box looks very well made, Then that is where my problems began.
The tank fitted fine so i thought till i went to fit the honda nose cone nine is red. I removed the 4xJ fixings and then tryed to get it to bolt back in place with the 6x fixing bolts. Things fitted fine the right side. It was the left side that gave me problems. The tank on the left side as been made slightly bigger than the red trim that covers it. As you can see in my photos the fit is poor.
I did have contact ims and sent them the photos and there reply was thats how it fits not as good as the stock tank.

see the big gap top right side.

this is the front clip that should fit in head light housing it dont.

close up of gap around lamp

bump to left side where tank is to big

right side great no problems

and fuel tap pushes against housing now

so my review
Tank looks great not fitted to bike.
Cost is over priced due to poor fitment.
I think ims made there mold, Tested it on a bike found that did not fit, And did not correct the mold.
customer service not great took long time to reply to my emails. and then to be told it is supposed to fit that poor.

I would not buy another ims tank, I would not recommend this tank to any one that wants a nice fit.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had the exact same fitment issue's with mine. It really didn't bug me all that much, I sort of expected some fitment misses. I did take the tank back off and open up the mounting holes on the fuel valve with a round file to have the fuel valve line up correctly. I felt the constant side ward pressure on the knob may have caused problems down the road. I would have been nice to have it fit perfectly though.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Nice to see you ride but it's kinda hard to make this informational when you can't even see the XX lol

·
Registered
574 Posts
Baxter, what about the seat wouldn't fit? My seat actually fits a little better than stock, a tighter fit.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
The seat when first fitted was about 11/2" of the tank and the rear plastic pins on the seat base would only just align with a good shove. After playing with the metal tabs got it to within 1" of the tank but the front righthand side of the seat kept jumping out of the tank tab. The left was great fit. I know I can fix it with some time and Hot water and new mounts but it is not a priority at the moment. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think we should all contact ims and tell them that there tank is crap on our 700xx
or maybe i should send them a link to this page.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
baxter how can you fix it with hot water ?
i thought about using a hot paint stripper (with the tank empty)

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I was going to use hot water to reshape the tank where it fits to the seat. If that doesn't work then try a paint stripper gun . Wash the tank out first and be careful not to get it too hot. As for IMS then by all means send them a link to the post ,with a short and to the point note and "BE POLITE" . This get you further and they may post a comment or soloution.
:D

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Same here, I was Seriously considering one. This is discouraging.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What is with these companies wanting big bucks for products that aren't properly made? It is sickening

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think that the IMS tanks fit pretty good, not perfect but good. I don't think you guys understand the work and money that goes into these tanks. And the fact that It holds allot more fuel and is supposed to fit just like a stock one. I know most of you guys on here have looked at pics of my quad. And I really don't think anybody has said man that tank looks like crap. IMS was forced to make a mold and come up with that tank in only two weeks time, and we received the tank the night before the 2008 Baja 500. If it was not for company's like IMS that have made stuff for this quad in hopes that one day it will pay off, the 700xx would not be as fun or as fast. Remember you could have a raptor 700R and nobody sells a tank for it that I know of.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wayne matlock, All i wanted was a bigger tank that fitted the same as the stock tank. And it looks like there using the mold that was used to make your first tank. All there mold needs is a few minor alterations i know most of us dont get given items we have to pay with our hard cash. If i brought a new tank from honda and it did not fit correctly i wold want a replacement and i would keep taking it back till i was happy with a good fitting tank.
No one said how bad thease tanks are fitting the 700xx till i uploaded the photos. And now the post is working people who was thinking of buying a tank have been and changed there minds. :yay:

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I appreciate the fact that they rushed and got you the tank quickly, and I'm glad it helped you but I think that this sort of rushing has been symptomatic of the quality of a few of the products for the 700xx. I understand that this isn't the highest volume selling quad by a stretch, and the aftermarket has come a long, LONG way but I think that some of the bigger names could do better.

With that said I've been kidding a lot in this thread about spitting on the floor and such, I just want parts that don't come off as a rushed deal. This is a lot coming from someone with a 95% stock quad, but it seems like the aftermarket could do better. Maybe it's just impatience on my part - coming from a trail rider.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 48 Posts