Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for more info on the xx #3a , I believe it it raced by Travis Dillon.
Heres a pic I found .
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tried to find a website etc and could not find anything more than a few pics.:D

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like he's running front tires on rear
I am guessing that he is running a DWT new Sector 12" rims with Klaws all round.

what would you like to know?
Everything ! Travis seems to think outside the box with the xx and from I have seen from 3 pictures , also uses a few things that I have never seen before.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats crazy! I wonder why he's runnin skinny rears???
Thats why I am askin' He knows something I have never tried or thought of and seems to be getting real good results.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
It's not Travis' bike, it's Epic Racing's. Those are Epic boxed, long travel front and rear arms with Bilstein shocks. If I remember correctly, he's running that rear wheel/tire setup to fit with the arms.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Narrow rear tires are used alot in rallying (Dakar, Safari etc) and their is a debate as to what works better.

People who go the narrow tire route usually say that it is much more stable at high speed, tracks straighter and has less unsprung weight.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ceballos is correct, it is Epic Racing's quad ridden by Travis and a few others. The a-arms were built by Epic and shocks are by Bilstein. I know Epic has a website, but can't recall it of the top of my head. There is no info regarding that quad though on the website, it seems to be top secret! haha. I was on another forum and someone asked Travis why the front tires/wheels on the rear and he wouldn't answer the question. Best bet would be get the number from Ceballos and give them a call for info.

Here is my reasoning for using front tires on the rear, wheel offset. Stock rear offset is 5:2 but you can get front wheels in a 4:1 offset. So if you put the front wheel on the rear you can build a-arms that are 1" longer and keep the same overall width. Longer a-arms, better geometry/more travel. Of course, front wheels are only 5" wide, hence the reason for using the front tires on the rear. Don't know if that is the real reason, but it makes sence to me, so I am going with it! Ozlinc also posted a few advantages.

My only concern with using front tires on the rear is forward bite, since front tires aren't really designed as drive tires. Seems like if you have any motor work, you would get a lot of wheel spin. Looks like it works good though on that quad, Travis and the guys are always near the front of the pack.

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am looking for more info or close up pics of the xx in general. The a-arms and shocks , I am not to bothered about. I am trying to design my own a-arms. The shocks I will leave to Jim. Just kinda curious about the rest of the xx. :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just had another look at that pic. Looks like hes running stock rear a-arms with 1" spacers and 10" rear wheels. The spacer gives width and more clearance for 10" wheels.

He is able to run the same wheel and tire combo all round; thats got to have its advantages in the Baja.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts