Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So glad I found this site! I saw some of you did the race in the Desert and it sounds awesome. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to get a 700xx race ready? I'm a new owner and would love to get into racing but not sure where to start. Also where is there to ride in Maryland/VA area?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Welcome to the site. Can't tell you the cost for racing, other members probably can though. As for riding areas, try the link below and click on a state... scroll down a state's list till you find an area you might be interested in and then click "view details"

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/

roadkill

·
Registered
306 Posts
TJ, We are from Fredericksburg, VA. and pretty much pack up and ride in WV. It is a hike but some of the best terrain and friendliest people to ride with. There is a place in MD. it is a 18 mile loop and not to bad. Just short. Seems to be a few good place in PA. that is a bit closer.

As for racing. It depends. AZdezracer raced the Parker 250 ironman on a almost stock bike. Not too many upgrades and didi very well. It really depends on how fast you think you need to go and how well you want your suspension to be. Just a short list below will give you an idea what we paid, please remember that we also have rider support on some items and they may be a higher price on MSRP.

Nerfs 250
IMs tank, 240
Barker Exhaust and fuel controller, The deal is posted somewhere
EHS lid 80
Houser front A arms, 500
Elka shocks, 700 X 2 front and rear
Powermadd Hand guards, 40
Hiper rims and ITP tires, 900
Steering stem, 200
Pro taper bars, 100
ASV, Levers, 150
Rear tool chest, 125 (no longer avail. per PRM)
Vapor computer, 150 (really not needed)
Engine work, I don't know where to begin on cost

Some of this is preference and some was a must. The oversize fuel tank is a must, new tires and durable rims is a must. Outside of that you could of raced the 250 in Amateur and rode around and enjoyed a 80 mile loop 3 times. It really depends on how serious you want to be as far as competing. The same is true with the GNCC and the VXCS. It is purely how you want your bike to feel going over that terrain.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
i think if your really going to get into it sponsors are a must. my dune set up is running me about the same and with out sponsors and funding is killing my bank account, im at about 2600 and still have suspension to go(2000) and thats with out engine work. with out funding u can look cto pay close to what you bought the quad for yeah i know thats crazy but it adds up FAST

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. It's great to have people that know what they are talkin about. Sounds like sponsors are a good idea. I can see how it can start getting costly. Besides there's no way my girl will approve funding this. Guess I'll have to kick her to the curb or what she dont know wont hurt her. ha

nasty700xx - I think I saw where you mentioned some sponsors. Can you tell me - are they covering the bike and your trips or just parts of the bike? Do i go all out and ask sponsors to cover everything or is that not how it works?
roadkill - thanks for the link i'll check it out

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You usually need a resume to send out. The first year I started racing, I didn't really have one or any experience for that matter. I just wrote out a letter explaining my plans, goals, and why I would be an asset to their company. After you get some races in, you have more to show, and usually means that companies will help you out a bit more. Sponsorships usually land you parts only, unless your crazy good, and find a sponsor who will cover most of your costs... BTW, I race the D38 series in SoCal... first race of the season is this Sunday...

just in case you want to check it out.... http://amad38.com/RaceFlyers/2010_OTB_Jeff_Cady_Desert_Scramble.pdf

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. It's great to have people that know what they are talkin about. Sounds like sponsors are a good idea. I can see how it can start getting costly. Besides there's no way my girl will approve funding this. Guess I'll have to kick her to the curb or what she dont know wont hurt her. ha

nasty700xx - I think I saw where you mentioned some sponsors. Can you tell me - are they covering the bike and your trips or just parts of the bike? Do i go all out and ask sponsors to cover everything or is that not how it works?
roadkill - thanks for the link i'll check it out
Like Ceballos said, you will need to get some proof before they will drop money into a guy with hopes. We asked for rider support where they cut some of the prices down. It also doesn't hurt to ask for there best deal. Most companies get approx. 40% off MSRP so you can feel free to ask for that if they will budge and some will. After a few races and decent finishes you may be able to get more. Guys like Wayne Matlock and a lot others get it because they are consistently good and put up a ton of good finishes. No one wants to support someone who tries. They want someone who finishes and finishes where people will talk about the products they use to win.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND :yay::yay:

You usually need a resume to send out. The first year I started racing, I didn't really have one or any experience for that matter. I just wrote out a letter explaining my plans, goals, and why I would be an asset to their company. After you get some races in, you have more to show, and usually means that companies will help you out a bit more. Sponsorships usually land you parts only, unless your crazy good, and find a sponsor who will cover most of your costs... BTW, I race the D38 series in SoCal... first race of the season is this Sunday...

just in case you want to check it out.... http://amad38.com/RaceFlyers/2010_OTB_Jeff_Cady_Desert_Scramble.pdf

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
For sponsors you can talk to anyone. Not just people with parts stores or that fabricate stuff. Any little bit can help. When I raced dirtbikes (which I was a hell of a lot better at than quads) I had 2 bars and a Diner put their logos on my trailer. They'd send me with food and beverages to races, and they'd also pay my way into race, which can run from $10 to $125 a race depending on what you do and where it is. Then I talked to the local NAPA shop and they would hook me up w/ plugs and filters, along w/ all sorts of lubes, and I always been buddy buddy at the Honda shop so I'd get parts at 50-75% off. Just have to work the system, and be persistent, on and off the track. Can't be a jack ass anywhere, as who wants to sponsor one unless you are amazingly good (like all the skaters from Jack Ass or Viva La Bam, or Pastrana).

·
Registered
984 Posts
Welcome and good luck racing ( don't forget the Icy Hot)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts